Texas Eagle to Alamo-a short walk

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming home Monday on Texas Eagle I met two couples who live on the opposite side of the country, Vermont and Southern California. They asked about the possibility of walking over to the Alamo since their connection to Sunset on train #421 was still two hour away. Begin a good Texan I walked with them to the Alamo. I have walked this area at night before but only after a big event at Alamodome next door with hundreds of people. As expected the route was well lite which is a benefit of the recently expanded convention center which built right up to the interstate highway. The Amtrak station is only one block away on the other side of the freeway, though you do have to walk another block to reach Commerce st. which passes under freeway.

Its about a 15-20 minute walk as I recall. Safe, well lighted and even had a late night taco stand on the way.

Just make sure you go the RIGHT way, especially if doing this during a Sunset/Eagle meeting (late night), as the neighborhood deteriorates pretty quickly in any of the wrong ones.
default_wink.png

Those adjacent hotels might pick up some business if they allowed their patrons to park long term if taking Amtrak. The Staybridge Suites across the street comes to mind. What are the new hotels?

That Holiday Inn Express isn't all that new, I stayed at it probably 6 years ago on our first visit to San Antone. And even then, the desk staff warned me to keep my car locked in the parking lot, and to only use their shuttle back and forth to downtown after dark, not try and walk.

Back