Texas Eagle service disruption???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

majc

Train Attendant
Good Morning All!

I have been watching th status of the Texas Eagle for a few days now to see how late it has been running. We are taking the TE from Stl to Chi in July and then connect to the Capitol Limited. Some days it runs late enough we would miss our connection.

Anyway today I was checking and received the following message...

Information Unavailable: Sorry, due to a service disruption, we are unable to provide estimated departure and arrival times. For additional assistance, please contact us at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Does anyone know what this means? Other trains I check give me the status.

thanks

majc :unsure:

I got that message last summer when checking the status of the Chicago bound Cardinal. The day I was to leave evertytime I checked the status I got that service disruption notice. So I called Amtrak and was informed that there was no problem and that the train was running basically on time. And sure enough when I got to Cincinnati that night/early morning the train was only a few minutes late. It could be nothing. Or it could be a freight derailment. You can always call Amtrak and find out.

majc said:
Good Morning All!
I have been watching th status of the Texas Eagle for a few days now to see how late it has been running.  We are taking the TE from Stl to Chi in July and then connect to the Capitol Limited.  Some days it runs late enough we would miss our connection.  

Anyway today I was checking and received the following message...

Information Unavailable: Sorry, due to a service disruption, we are unable to provide estimated departure and arrival times. For additional assistance, please contact us at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Does anyone know what this means?  Other trains I check give me the status.

thanks

majc :unsure:
majc, I will be taking the Eagle next month and connecting with the Lake Shore to New York City so I keep checking it also.

The last time I received that message the Eagle was held up in Texas due to grass fires or something and was running 3 hours or so late. Like the others said , I wouldn't worry about it that much but from all the tracking I have done the last month or so, Plan on arriving in Chicago about an hour and a half late. :(

Wow....just checked your schedule. Depart Chicago at 5:35 pm sure will not allow a long delay. I at least have a much later departure on the Lake Shore, it's 7:55 pm. Ever thought about NYC instead? :D

I will however take the Capital Limited back to Chicago after arriving in D.C. from NYC later in the week....

Good Luck.....BD

Thanks to all for the info!

Boxcar Dummy

I thought 3-1/2 hours would be playing it safe and I hope it will be fine but I have seen a few days that don't workout and I am a bit nervous. We will just have to see what happens. We have planned to have roomettes in the CL. If we miss that train I hope we can still get some type of rooms on an alternate train. Out of everthing we have planned this is the only part I am worried about having no control over. This is our first LD train trip and we are so excited about the adventure, just hope we get to enjoy it.

We are going to NYC but after DC. 3 nights in DC then another train to NYC, where we spend 3 more nights. We thought about going the other way around but in the end picked this way because of the flight I found to return home from NYC.

I have taken the TX Eagle to Chicago, then connected to the Capitol Ltd. several times the past year or so, and never had a problem with the connection. I would think that since this would be a rather common connection, I would think that Amtrak would hold the Capitol Ltd's departure if the TX Eagle was late.

Does Amtrak do this ever?

Bill

I was wondering the same thing as Bill631. FYI I finally got the amtrak site to tell me about the Texas Eagle. It finally made it to St. Louis at 2:14 and was running 4 hours behind, estimated to arrive in Chicago at 6:15. That would make us miss our connection on the Capitol Limited.

I hope it goes as well as Bill631 has had before, it is still a little over a month away till we travel.

majc said:
I was wondering the same thing as Bill631.  FYI I finally got the amtrak site to tell me about the Texas Eagle.  It finally made it to St. Louis at 2:14 and was running 4 hours behind, estimated to arrive in Chicago at 6:15.  That would make us miss our connection on the Capitol Limited.
I hope it goes as well as Bill631 has had before, it is still a little over a month away till we travel.
I thought it may be running really late like last time to give that message.

As it will make up some time after St Louis they only can estimate the arrival time.

As for holding a train for a late arrival, I don't know if they would hold the Capital

or not. I do know that sometimes the Eagle is late leaving San Antonio because it is held waiting on the Sunset with passengers from California,Arizona,New Mexico going north on The Eagle. Now does the Capital originate in Chicago to D.C.? If so they may hold it for a reasonable time. That only my opinion not a fact.....

Wonder what reason the delay was today?.....BD

The Texas Eagle might hold in San Antonio for a late Sunset Limited because, not only does the Eagle get connecting passengers from the Sunset, it also gets connecting cars from the Sunset (one sleeper and one coach).

The Capitol Limited does originate in Chicago. Whether or not they will hold it depends on how late the inbound is. If you're going to arrive between 5:30 and 6:00 pm, they'll probably hold it for connections. If you're going to be in around 7 or 8 pm, odds are they won't.

rmadisonwi said:
The Texas Eagle might hold in San Antonio for a late Sunset Limited because, not only does the Eagle get connecting passengers from the Sunset, it also gets connecting cars from the Sunset (one sleeper and one coach).
The Capitol Limited does originate in Chicago.  Whether or not they will hold it depends on how late the inbound is.  If you're going to arrive between 5:30 and 6:00 pm, they'll probably hold it for connections.  If you're going to be in around 7 or 8 pm, odds are they won't.
Thanks Robert.....my thoughts exactly just wasn't for sure.....BD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back