Texas Eagle Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Puppet

Lead Service Attendant
When traveling on the TE from Chicago to LA, are passengers in sleepers allowed to get off the train during the long overnight stop at San Antonio?

Thanks,

When traveling on the TE from Chicago to LA, are passengers in sleepers allowed to get off the train during the long overnight stop at San Antonio?Thanks,
Yes, you are. I usually do the long CHI-LAX or LAX-CHI haul on the Texas Eagle atleast once or twice a year to visit my best friend from high school. The Texas Eagle is my perfered method to get to LA because you get a whole extra day on the train over the Southwest Chief.

Anyway, I usually get off in San Antonio and walk over to the Alamo and the Riverwalk. It's within easy walking distance from the station (take a right from the station's front doors... walk about a block... then turn left and and follow the main street under the underpass with the flashing rainbow neon lights).

I've never had a problem with safety, but I still usually try and go out with some fellow passengers I meet on the train. Usually I can find 1 or 2 others who are up for a little stoll over there... esp. when they hear I know directions and everything. OR, you can cab it over there for like $5-10.

Just a note... Usually the door on the thru sleeper remains closed and you have to walk over to the thru coach car to get off and on. ALSO, they do switch the train in the middle of the night... so there might be times you can't get on the train... usually in 20-30 minute incruments when they pull the train away from the station (just a few blocks up the track) for a bit. But it's not going to leave.

Take advantage of the long layover in SAS. Rumor has it that's going away in October or April 2010.

I'm taking the TE out of St. Louis next July to SAS. Any tips? I have never been on this train. I will be going to a convention that is at the convention center. Anyone have any ideas of a good room in town? I will be there for 3 days. Don't need spiffy room but just a room. No cockroaches though! And what part of town is the SAS in? I detrain around 10:30pm. Are there cabs at the station?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking the TE out of St. Louis next July to SAS. Any tips? I have never been on this train. I will be going to a convention that is at the convention center. Anyone have any ideas of a good room in town? I will be there for 3 days. Don't need spiffy room but just a room. No cockroaches though! And what part of town is the SAS in? I detrain around 10:30pm. Are there cabs at the station?
When I took the SL LTD in June NOL-LAX they announced there is a Denny's very close to the station as well.

The Grand Hyatt, where I will be at a standards meeting the entire week, week after next, is within walking distance of the station, but it is expensive. It is close to the Convention Center as are a dozen other hotels in that area, take a look at Google Map. As for taxi. Many times around train time there are a few hanging out there, but even if not they are available on call.

I was on it in March, St. Louis to San Antonio. A little rough track, but, overall, a good trip. The station is next to the Alamo Dome (if you find a map of San Antonio, and search for that, you'll be right in the area).

Plenty of hotels in the area; I'll see if I can find the list of hotels I compiled. But, as already mentioned, if you google the area, they should show up. Or, do a search on your favorite travel/hotel site (orbitz, travelocity, hotels.com, etc), and use 'San Antonio Amtrak', or 'Alamo Dome' as the landmark or search area, and it should return plenty of options. If I remember right, I saw at least a Red Roof Inn, a Best Western, a Hilton, and probably a half a dozen or more other hotels on my way to the bus station. Does your convention/event planner have any hotel information for the area? They might be someone to check with as well.

Regarding cabs, I had to wait a few minutes, but, they are plentiful around the station at arrival time. If you tour around the area a bit, it may be more difficult to find one later. However, the station staff seemed to be friendly enough, and they could probably get you cab information. I also noticed a sign inside the station for car rental (Hertz, I think), so, that could be another option. I assume that you'd have to make prior arrangements, due to the time of arrival.

When traveling on the TE from Chicago to LA, are passengers in sleepers allowed to get off the train during the long overnight stop at San Antonio?
I traveled recently from STL to LAX. We arrived in SAS at about 10pm (30 mins early).

I was able to get off the train indeed. The train isn't locked during the night and there will be no attendant around.

But they will start switching the train somewhen after midnight. This means that somewhen after midnight you won't have

access to the train for about an hour.

The Riverwalk can be reached by foot in about 10mins, the tower of the americas is about 5mins away (use the pedestrian underpass under the highway).

Although the train station isn't in a bad area I would recommend you to take with you all valuables and move your bags from the luggage racks next to the lower level door to your compartment or seat.

I can't imagine that the station is in an area where safety could be a problem, especially as there's virtually nobody around.

I traveled recently from STL to LAX. We arrived in SAS at about 10pm (30 mins early).

I was able to get off the train indeed. The train isn't locked during the night and there will be no attendant around.

But they will start switching the train somewhen after midnight. This means that somewhen after midnight you won't have

The Riverwalk can be reached by foot in about 10mins, the tower of the americas is about 5mins away (use the pedestrian underpass under the highway).

Although the train station isn't in a bad area I would recommend you to take with you all valuables and move your bags from the luggage racks next to the lower level door to your compartment or seat.

I can't imagine that the station is in an area where safety could be a problem, especially as there's virtually nobody around.
Well as long as there are no activities going on in the old Sunset Depot(weddings/concerts/private parties etc.)its pretty quiet around the station!

The area around the River Walk is very crowded,well policed and sort of a Bourbon Street Light!The Dennys downtown is usually jumping after midnight,

most of the places on the River charge tourist prices for their fare,I wouldnt suggest drinking alot either,and when you walk around the River Walk especially away from the Main Area it might be a good idea to not be alone,there have been robberies and hassles North of the Alamo area and under the bridges and in the dark areas!The Alamo is closed @ night but makes a great pic from the front!The City ran off all the chili queens and vendors that made Alamo Plaza exciting but still lots going on!The Station is small,crowded and the restrooms make those in NYP look clean,its hard to get a seat(lots of people sleeping)and only vending machines that may or may not work!The Amtrak staff are very friendly and helpful,theyll even keep your carry on stuff behind the counter but I wouldnt leave any valuables in them!The area is being built up rapidly,lots of new hotels/condos/high end clubs/resturants in what used to be basically crack city/working girl alley!It spretty barren after midnight so I wouldt suggest walking across the tracks(thats the new "action" area!)

or away from downtown!(Commerce street is one way going away from downtown past the station!)Dont panic if you return and your car is gone like the OP said,just check in the station with the agents,lots of switching @ night in these yards and when #1/#2 are there it can get hectic!Have a great trip!

There is a Holiday Inn Express in walking distance (one block) to the San Antonio station as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well as long as there are no activities going on in the old Sunset Depot(weddings/concerts/private parties etc.)its pretty quiet around the station!

The area around the River Walk is very crowded,well policed and sort of a Bourbon Street Light!The Dennys downtown is usually jumping after midnight,

most of the places on the River charge tourist prices for their fare,I wouldnt suggest drinking alot either,and when you walk around the River Walk especially away from the Main Area it might be a good idea to not be alone,there have been robberies and hassles North of the Alamo area and under the bridges and in the dark areas!The Alamo is closed @ night but makes a great pic from the front!The City ran off all the chili queens and vendors that made Alamo Plaza exciting but still lots going on!The Station is small,crowded and the restrooms make those in NYP look clean,its hard to get a seat(lots of people sleeping)and only vending machines that may or may not work!The Amtrak staff are very friendly and helpful,theyll even keep your carry on stuff behind the counter but I wouldnt leave any valuables in them!The area is being built up rapidly,lots of new hotels/condos/high end clubs/resturants in what used to be basically crack city/working girl alley!It spretty barren after midnight so I wouldt suggest walking across the tracks(thats the new "action" area!)

or away from downtown!(Commerce street is one way going away from downtown past the station!)Dont panic if you return and your car is gone like the OP said,just check in the station with the agents,lots of switching @ night in these yards and when #1/#2 are there it can get hectic!Have a great trip!
What, may I ask, is a chili queen???

Back in the day there were women that cooked up homemade chili(yuuuuuuuuuum!!)and sold it on the plaza!Also raspa vendors,in season tamales and various and sundry foods!The Health ****s had to shut them down cause they were competeing with the high dollar tourist joints on Bourbon Street,er The River Walk!Still goes on in the rest of the world ,

I appreciate cleanliness and all of that but watch the Food or Travel Channel for what it was like in ancient times!LOL

What, may I ask, is a chili queen???
I thought it was slang for transvestites or drag queens of some sort when he said "the city ran them off"

There is a Holiday Inn Express in walking distance (one block) to the San Antonio station as well.
We stayed in a really first rate "Best Western Sunset Suites" hotel a block from the station towards town and across the street,under $100,includes breakfast and all the ammenities!Two minute walk to the station,5 to the River Walk,a great deal and ive stayed in most downtown SA hotels!

What jimhudson said! By all means enjoy your time in San Antonio - just be prepared for the heat. The Riverwalk is a great place to spend your spare time and enjoy a nice dinner. The mentioned Best Western Sunset is a nice option for you based on location and price - an easy walk from the station and to/from the convention center and downtown attractions. You may also want to check out the La Quinta (spanish for "next to Dennys" - ha) about a block further towards downtown from the Best Western. The Amtrak station itself is nothing impressive, but sits in the shadow of the historic Sunset Depot which is worth a look from the outside. A real shame the city in its "wisdom" sold it to a developer years ago. The station is right on the dividing line between the good and not-so-good parts of town; just stay on the west (downtown) side of the tracks and you'll be fine. You really shouldn't need a cab or rental car; you can do everything on foot. An easy way to find Commerce street after you detrain is to just walk up the platform, continuing past the locomotive of your train - the first crossing you come to is Commerce, turn left and you are headed straight towards downtown and the hotels. Oh yeah - be wary of the "green" sauce at most Mexican resturaunts - it's hotter than it looks :p

When you get to the Denny's and turn right, there is a pretty decent Day's Inn a couple blocks ahead; it's an easy walk from the station if you are not loaded down with luggage. And the roaches aren't too big and the rats don't bite too hard :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back