Texas Eagle discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife and I were on the TE out of Chicago on June 15. Left on time at 1:45pm. Arrived in Marshall, Texas on time on the 16th the morning after the big,bad storm had gone thru East Texas.

We're stuck in Marshall for many,many hours awaiting the tracks to be cleared along with other "issues"....or so we we told. Got underway and made it to Longview and then got underway only to stop, barely out of Longview for........ a crew change, who had to come some....somewhere....

Got underway again, inching our way west at less that 20mph (sped up....slowed down) and arrived into Mineola at 2:30am which was "home" for us.

Biggest grip I had was the poor communications of the situation (typical, and not just in the travel industries). Not the crews fault (I hope).

If the tracks were covered with fallen trees, etc (as we were told) that falls on the **** poor upkeep of the rail system by the track owners. I've seen trees that I know are too close to the tracks to ensure that they do not become a problem. BUT clearing them and keeping any vegetation away from the track (to prevent any type of problem developing) would...cost $$$$. Money that the big shots are "entitled" to for their pockets and not used toward the betterment of their company.

Wife and I were on the TE out of Chicago on June 15. Left on time at 1:45pm. Arrived in Marshall, Texas on time on the 16th the morning after the big,bad storm had gone thru East Texas.

We're stuck in Marshall for many,many hours awaiting the tracks to be cleared along with other "issues"....or so we we told. Got underway and made it to Longview and then got underway only to stop, barely out of Longview for........ a crew change, who had to come some....somewhere....

Got underway again, inching our way west at less that 20mph (sped up....slowed down) and arrived into Mineola at 2:30am which was "home" for us.

Biggest grip I had was the poor communications of the situation (typical, and not just in the travel industries). Not the crews fault (I hope).

If the tracks were covered with fallen trees, etc (as we were told) that falls on the **** poor upkeep of the rail system by the track owners. I've seen trees that I know are too close to the tracks to ensure that they do not become a problem. BUT clearing them and keeping any vegetation away from the track (to prevent any type of problem developing) would...cost $$$$. Money that the big shots are "entitled" to for their pockets and not used toward the betterment of their company
Son #1 was once several hours late coming home from SIU-Carbondale's law school on the Saluki due to a tree on the tracks (I think passengers were "bustituted" for about an hour, and then reboarded the train), but that was the only time our kids were seriously delayed on Amtrak. (And that was the weekend before Thanksgiving, so early snowstorms are often an issue then in Illinois.)

Its been bad here. I lost part of a tree (southern Oklahoma) last week in a storm, we had bad storms again several days later in the week.. I didn't sleep much Saturday night because of loud severe thunderstorms. Much of Shreveport was out of power earlier last week, and now NE Oklahoma is without power (or was; they may have it largely back on). Kind of freakish storms but then again: this may be the future, at least for a while. Not much Amtrak can do about downed trees; it's only so fast crews can get out and get them cleared and the tracks checked.

But I'm glad not to be traveling right now.

Amtrak just cancelled 22 out of Texas today on account of equipment and 21 out of CHI today will also be can but originate in FTW.

As of 9:48 am CT, Due to equipment and availability issues, Texas Eagle Train 21, which is scheduled to depart Chicago (CHI) on 6/19 will now originate in Fort Worth (FTW). For assistance, please contact 1-800-USA-RAIL.

The Texas Eagle is starting to use Sightseer Lounge Cars. Let’s hope this is permanent and not a temporary thing. They were were on 7/9 Northbound and 7/10 Southbound but not on 7/10 Northbound.
Were they diner replacements? Or were they in addition to the usual consist?

1689043982650.png
Friend sent me this, looks like a diner replacement.

Edit: 31035 is a coach baggage, so it seems as if it is just a diner replacement unfortunately.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed traveling from Longview to Chicago was hearing the horn, a lot of road crossings. Then from Chicago to Utica NY, didn't notice the horn so much. Both trips were through the night.

I can sympathize with you. The down-in-the-heels Boston section of the Lake Shore is mine. Maybe I will live long enough to see improvements in both trains.
At least 448/449 is a real train between ALB and CHI on the TE that only happens if you are going west of San Antonio

21/22 have had two locomotives the last few days. I wonder what's up with that? Do they finally have enough Chargers onboard that the Eagle now gets two P42s again?

21/22 have had two locomotives the last few days. I wonder what's up with that? Do they finally have enough Chargers onboard that the Eagle now gets two P42s again?
I just saw 2 locomotives a few minutes ago on today's southbound TE. And a 6th car behind the locomotives, too! (It doesn't stop in Dwight, so I wasn't able to determine just what the additional car was.)

Back