Texas Eagle/Blue Water Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
I managed to work in a paid business trip next week on Amtrak (at least one way....had to buy my own return airline ticket due to the cost and time of a round trip) and I'm really looking forward to it. Am going OKC-FTW, then FTW-CHI, and CHI-KAL. I have two questions, which are:

1. car 2220, is it still on the rear? I heard they switched them to the head end somewhere, but the consist list thread still shows it on the tail end....anyone have a good idea where I will be?

2. Cross Country Cafe-Is the layout of the tables the only difference? Same food/service?

3. The Blue Water-Is that one of the trains that's running up to 110 MPH? (I assume so, it gets into KAL about 30 minutes earlier than the old system timetable shows)

Thanks, really looking forward to the trip, haven't been on the train (in the back anyway!) since last January....this short overnighter will be a good primer for our December 4 train 4 day trip to Miami.

The Blue Water and Wolverine were both upgraded recently when the trackwork being done there was finished. IIRC, Michigan now owns that portion of rail correct? Or does Amtrak own it?

Regarding the Amtrak Michigan Line: Amtrak owns the line from CP-482 in Porter, IN to BO Tower in Kalamazoo, MI. This is the line that now has maximum speeds of 110MPH. BO-East is still owned by Norfolk Southern, although the State of Michigan is in the process of purchasing it (the deal should have been over by now, but they continue to drag out negotiations). The speed increases this year have resulted in a 30 minute reduction in running time for the Blue Water.

Thanks for the replies. Really looking forward to this trip, been needing a "vacation" for some time now, and while I don't dislike flying, this will be a nice change from my usual Monday routine. And, who knows, I may even manage to get some work done on board. Glad the BW is now 110, that should be fun, and if nothing else, it's nice to get in 30 minutes early, so I can get over to the airport to grab a rental, and get to the hotel at a decent hour. Will do a trip report when I get going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back