Texas Eagle # 21 Derails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how quickly "Julie" had the delay info; but then again the typical rider usually has no idea who she is or how easy it is to get train info in the field.

Yes Little Rock has a Staion Building, why wouldn't it? It also has in my opinion a pretty decent platform, although I would find a way to cover it, but why spend the money on only two trains a day. It, being the "staion Building" is on the bottom floor of the old Union Station a decent waiting area. The rest of Union Station is either vacant, office space, or meeting rooms. It isn't a bad space to be in considering the only rail traffic is two Amtraks and freight. Its a shame that passenger rail traffic went the way it did and can't come back. I would love to see more rail travel options, sure would beat $2-4 gas, which seems to be going back up again here.

For those that watched the video of the, ummmmmm, interview with the SGT of White County, they should be proud of him. In fact I think he should be the state Public Affiars Officer.... NOT! What an embarassment to White County and the State of Arkansas.

while not right away but if im standing at a station in sub zero temps i would like to know why the hell my train is late or if its not going to arrive at all. is that too much to ask after all are you going to sit in a station for 6 + hours wondering where the hell your train is.
It's not, except that we don't know how long they went without the news, as the article doesn't tell us when they found out. It could have been 15 minutes after the accident, 1 hour, 2 hours, we just don't know. About the only thing that we don't know is that they couldn't have been kept in the dark for more than about 4 and 1/2 hours, since the passengers from the derailed train were picked up at the 4 hour mark and bused to the Little Rock station.

I'm sure your sleeper was in front Eric since they always have been normally on this route!
Actually, the through coach and sleeper going past San Antonio to Los Angeles are usually on the back of Eagle so they can be easily cut off and tranferred to the Sunset Limited. I believe they number those cars as train #421/422

I'm sure your sleeper was in front Eric since they always have been normally on this route!
Actually, the through coach and sleeper going past San Antonio to Los Angeles are usually on the back of Eagle so they can be easily cut off and tranferred to the Sunset Limited. I believe they number those cars as train #421/422
Mahalo,

This matches what I was remembering but wasn't sure of.

Aloha

The through cars used to be kept on the back of the Eagle for a number of years, but no longer. Only the through coach is kept back there now AFAIK. The sleeper is kept up front with the Trans/Dorm. This is due in part because when the put the short turn coach on the rear between St. Louis and Chicago it saw the passengers walking through the sleeper to reach the rest of the train and that caused issues. The other part of the equation from what I heard was the union protesting that there wasn't enough switching work in San Antonio, so this gave them more work.

Latest posts

Back