Texas Eagle # 21 Derails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railfan83

Train Attendant
I woke up this morning and saw this online in the local paper: www.thecabin.net So anyone that may be taking the Eagle may want to call Amtrak and check on the status or your train.

HIGGINSON, Ark. (AP) — An Amtrak train from Chicago has derailed in Arkansas.
Amtrak spokeswoman Karina Romero says no injuries were reported when the Texas Eagle derailed just after 3 a.m. Wednesday in Higginson — about 45 miles northeast of Little Rock. The train was headed for Los Angeles via San Antonio.

Romero says 212 passengers and an unknown number of crew were on board. She says no decision was immediately made on how the passengers would continue their journey.

A cause of the derailment has not been determined.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit more information on the derailment from www.arkansasmatters.com

Reported by: Josh Teddleton, KARK ProducerWednesday, Jan 6, 2010 @08:15am CST

(Near Kensett, Ark.) The early morning derailment of an Amtrak passenger train is under investigation in White County.

It happened around 3:30 on tracks that run alongside Highway 385, between Higginson and Kensett.

Officials say two cars jumped the tracks, and there were no reports of any serious injuries.

Amtrak spokesperson Karina Romero spoke to KARK 4 by phone this morning during KARK 4 Today.

She told us that there were 212 passengers on board the train that had originated in Chicago with a stop in St. Louis and was bound for Dallas.

Romero said that buses were being taken to the derailment scene shortly before seven o'clock to transport passengers to their destinations in Arkansas and to deliver those going farther to Little Rock where they could board another train.

Pictures and short story on #21s derailment North of Little Rock this A.M. Looks like two coaches off the rails (1st and second coaches), busses are shown loading luggage and pax, supposedly no-one is seriously injured, the pax are being bustituted to LRK but no farther word on what will happen after that? #22 wont be there until late tonight, #21 from CHI doersnt leave until this afternoon, nothing on Amtrak.com or TrainOrders! Anyone have any info on the status?? Both #21 and #421 are shown as sold out from DAL and FTW, guess this is cause of the delays on the Western Trains, lots of folks rerouted via the TE and SWC I'd guess? :unsure:

Pictures and short story on #21s derailment North of Little Rock this A.M. Looks like two coaches off the rails (1st and second coaches), busses are shown loading luggage and pax, supposedly no-one is seriously injured, the pax are being bustituted to LRK but no farther word on what will happen after that? #22 wont be there until late tonight, #21 from CHI doersnt leave until this afternoon, nothing on Amtrak.com or TrainOrders! Anyone have any info on the status??
I get it!

Pictures and short story on #21s derailment North of Little Rock this A.M. Looks like two coaches off the rails (1st and second coaches), busses are shown loading luggage and pax, supposedly no-one is seriously injured, the pax are being bustituted to LRK but no farther word on what will happen after that? #22 wont be there until late tonight, #21 from CHI doersnt leave until this afternoon, nothing on Amtrak.com or TrainOrders! Anyone have any info on the status??
is there a echo you posted that 15 times :eek: :eek:

Now I've heard of double-posting, but quindecatuple (fifteen) posting?! Jim you may have set a record for clicking that damn "submit" button too much!

EDIT:

Make that quadecatuple plus one edit. :p

Now I've heard of double-posting, but quindecatuple (fifteen) posting?! Jim you may have set a record for clicking that damn "submit" button too much!
Sorry everyone, don't have the first clue what happened? Hope a moderator can eliminate all but the last one which had an edit added about the sold out Eagles! :blink:
Jim, when you buy tickets on Amtrak.com, do you sometimes get multiple ressies in the system? Or do you just dig triplicating (or quindecalating) things? :lol:

Sorry everyone, don't have the first clue what happened? Hope a moderator can eliminate all but the last one which had an edit added about the sold out Eagles! :blink:
Jim, when you buy tickets on Amtrak.com, do you sometimes get multiple ressies in the system? Or do you just dig triplicating (or quindecalating) things? :lol:
Well, since I'm a retired Government worker guess old habits die hard! (Submit all paperwork in triplicate with copies for the files and the archieves etc.) :D

From a pic on the Little Rock ABC site, it looks like the 2 Coaches back of the Sightseer went off but are upright. And the train has 2 engines, something rare for the TE!

Joking aside: The location is in the double track section between Bald Knob and Little Rock. Since it was said to be going through a crossover, that would llikely be "Hig" at milepost 298.4. This places it 45 miles north of Little Rock and 12 miles south of the connection to the Memphis line at Bald Knob. Normal speed limit in this section is 75 mph. Saw somewhere that the crossover speed was 30 mph?

Thats not a video of the Texas Eagle, the sheriff clearly said it was the "Tesac-Texics-TEXAS Express".
Aloha

Bet we hear from Jim again, that that is a normal Texas Accent, If not a mild one :lol:

When I rode in April I don't remember whether at that point my sleeper was in the front or back.
Eric

The position of your sleeper is determined by time.

Was it pre or post derailment?

:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Thats not a video of the Texas Eagle, the sheriff clearly said it was the "Tesac-Texics-TEXAS Express".
Aloha

Bet we hear from Jim again, that that is a normal Texas Accent, If not a mild one :lol:

When I rode in April I don't remember whether at that point my sleeper was in the front or back.
That good ole boy was right out of "Dukes of Hazard", he's definitely an Arkansas Deputy, it's still about 175 miles to civilization (aka Texas!)whether you are on the Eagle or the Texas Express or whatever! I'm sure your sleeper was in front Eric since they always have been normally on this route!And it is pretty close to the scene of the flooding last month, wonder if the flood did anything to the tracks, or is it the freezing cold temps?

Send some tropical weather over here to the mainland, we're all freezing!! :lol:

Followup news story about how Amtrak did not communicate the 4 to 6 hour delay and derailment problems to people waiting at the depot in the next town.
http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story....177&catid=2
thats nothing new. communication is not one of amtraks strong points.
Well the article doesn't state how quickly after the incident the person in the depot got the text message. It also doesn't say when Amtrak made a formal announcement, so it's hard to know for sure just what did go down. And while I won't deny that there are times that Amtrak falls down on communications, we don't have enough evidence to know anything or even draw any conclusions.

Some people seem to think that they're entitled to know 10 seconds after something happens and start complaining right away if they don't get told something. I think that we all need to remember that this accident happened at 3:00 AM. It's not like Amtrak has hundreds of people on duty in the various control centers at that hour. I'm sure that the few people who were in CNOC (Consolodated National Operations Center) were far more busy worrying about the people on the train and that no one was hurt, than to be worrying about calling the Little Rock station to tell them "Oh, the train derailed." I'm sure that they were also quite busy trying to make arrangements to get those passengers safely off the train and moved to some warm, safe location. And it's not like one can easily find buses at 3:00 for a few hundred people. It takes multiple phone calls to coordinate that.

So again, calling a station agent to inform them of the derailment isn't exactly a high priority for the folks at CNOC, especially at that hour of the morning.

while not right away but if im standing at a station in sub zero temps i would like to know why the hell my train is late or if its not going to arrive at all. is that too much to ask after all are you going to sit in a station for 6 + hours wondering where the hell your train is.

Back