Teenager killed by Amtrak train in Rochester

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
Another sad case of carnage on the rails, as a trespassing 14-year-old walked in front of a New York-Niagara Falls train (#283) on Thursday night 10/10, and was struck.

Story is here.

It is very sad, but can be preventable. If local and state governments would invest in putting fencing along railroad right of way then I think we'd see a drop in the number of accidents.

It is very sad, but can be preventable. If local and state governments would invest in putting fencing along railroad right of way then I think we'd see a drop in the number of accidents.
Hate to be the pill here, as tragic as this is, and two weeks ago having been on a train that hit someone, but the responsability for fencing belongs to the railroad not the government as the railroad owns the property. As we discussed in a previous thread the only thing the fencing does is limit the railroad's liability in a lawsuit people will still trespass on the tracks especially in places where there are grade crossings, albeit in lower numbers then in areas with no fencing at all.

Ok I do agree that the railroads should pay for the fencing, but in high populated areas it is needed in my opinion. It may not prevent people from entering through grade crossings to vadalize rail property or in a worse case senerio, commit suicide, but it will prevent pedestrains from randomly walking across tracks to get somewhere.

Reminds me of Ball Jr.High, it's right next to ex-SP (UP) local line crossed Ball Rd. I have seen hoards of students walking down the line with no care at all. The locals dont run on it everyday but hell, they DO run on it!!!! I'm suprised the school doesnt do anything about it! Only about 2-4 miles north on the line is the UP yard where they park the power.

About fencing- in high populated areas I'd want fences. In Santa Ana, along Lincoln St. the track goes thru a residential area on it's own ROW, one side it's up against a wall and other side is Lincoln. no fence at all...so one day someone's little kid is going to get out and walk on the track and the super quiet Surfliner is going to run em over.

in high populated areas it is needed in my opinion. It may not prevent people from entering through grade crossings to vadalize rail property or in a worse case senerio, commit suicide, but it will prevent pedestrains from randomly walking across tracks to get somewhere.
I think we agree now. The idea for the railroad is that sometimes things like this happen. Sometimes people are determined to get onto the tracks and they will find a way. What the railroad needs to do is keep ordinary (non-determined) people from trespassing on railroad property.

In a lot of residential areas that abut the tracks homeowners build and maintain the fencing between their yards and the tracks to keep their children off. This is done at their own expense and the fences are on their own property not the railroad's.

When I attended Hinsdale Junior high, I crossed the busy BN (now BNSF) every day. I always waited when the gates went down. One day, a freight was stopped on the crossing, blocking acces to the other side of the tracks. I waited, but some of my classmates crawled underneath the train and arrived school on time. When I explained my lateness to the office staff, I was scolded for having a poor excuse, and not praised for having good judgement.

People who work in schools are just as naive as anybody else when it comes to railroads.

As a teacher, I have had operation life saver visit my school to explain to my specila ed students the dangers of walking on the tracks.

Steve4031 said:
When I explained my lateness to the office staff, I was scolded for having a poor excuse, and not praised for having good judgement.
People who work in schools are just as naive as anybody else when it comes to railroads.
Steve,

That's kinda sad, that any teacher would scold you for waiting for a train like that. Hopefully Operation Lifesaver will teach today's teachers that waiting for a train blocking a crossing is a good, valid, and most importantly a reason that everyone can live with for being late.

Steve,

If I may ask, is having Operation Lifesaver come into the classroom to talk about the dangers of railroad tracks somthing that is done throughout your school district (or part of the statewide curriculum) or is it something that you do with your of your own initiative? If this is on your own initiative do any of your peers take part as well or do they feel the time is better spent elsewhere. Personally, I think this is important, and something that at least for the first few years of school railroad safety should be taught. I ask because when I was in school the railroad came in when we were in Kindergarten and that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back