Taxis at Minneapolis Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar1

Train Attendant
In a few weeks I'll be taking the EB #7 westbound into Minneapolis. Since the train arrives around 10:30 PM, the rental car booth at the station is already closed. Does anyone know if taxis generally wait outside the station for passengers needing transportation, or would I have to call a taxi service ahead of time. I plan on taking a taxi to the airport to pick up a rental car. Thanks.

In a few weeks I'll be taking the EB #7 westbound into Minneapolis. Since the train arrives around 10:30 PM, the rental car booth at the station is already closed. Does anyone know if taxis generally wait outside the station for passengers needing transportation, or would I have to call a taxi service ahead of time. I plan on taking a taxi to the airport to pick up a rental car. Thanks.
There's always a line of taxis waiting at the St. Paul train station for the westbound Empire Builder, so I wouldn't bother calling, especially if you're not checking luggage. The train doesn't actually stop in Minneapolis.

A note to the wise. If you haven't checked luggage, just walk around the train station to get to the cabs. It's much faster than walking through the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are willing to take a delay you can do the transfer via public transit for $1.75. Walk the 3-4 blocks to University Ave and board the #16 bus and ride to the end of the line, Target Field. There you can make an easy transfer to the light rail which will take you into the belly of the airport, an elevator ride to the rental cars.

Otherwise taxis and bountiful, fare should be $20-$25.

If you are willing to take a delay you can do the transfer via public transit for $1.75. Walk the 3-4 blocks to University Ave and board the #16 bus and ride to the end of the line, Target Field. There you can make an easy transfer to the light rail which will take you into the belly of the airport, an elevator ride to the rental cars.

Otherwise taxis and bountiful, fare should be $20-$25.
Ditto on what the first few posters said about the cabs at the MSP station. I am up there all the time for Trails & Rails... even though I take the van shuttle to the Days Inn... there are almost always TOO many cabs out there.

One side note though, there is about 30 minutes of pad in the schedule from Red Wing to MSP and if the train arrives early (sometimes it actually does) -- there might be not enough cabs at first, but they will show up in a hurry.

There are almost TOO many cabs at the MSP station by around 10:45PM... :eek:hboy:

Anyway, I dont know if I would mess around with public transit if you are getting off #7. While the station isnt in a horrible area, it is somewhat sketchy at that hour... just a very industrial area with not too many people around except right at the station.

Even though the Days Inn is 3 blocks from the station, I do the shuttle at night, but will usually walk back to the depot in the morning.

Hope that helps!

Thanks everybody for the information.

I think I'll go with the taxi cab instead of walking 3 blocks to the bus and taking the light rail. It's much easier when lugging around a big suitcase.

My stepdaughter is one week away from going to school at the U of M in the cities. I drove her to the station at night to show her "where its at" from the campus. I totally agree with rtabern. I wouldn't be comfortable walking there at night. Its not a horrible area at all, but just not too good when the sun goes down. Station wasn't bad but the restrooms were covered in gang graffitti.

My stepdaughter is one week away from going to school at the U of M in the cities. I drove her to the station at night to show her "where its at" from the campus. I totally agree with rtabern. I wouldn't be comfortable walking there at night. Its not a horrible area at all, but just not too good when the sun goes down. Station wasn't bad but the restrooms were covered in gang graffitti.
You should have your step-daughter go up on Monday 8-23 on #7... I could do Trails & Rails for her from Chicago to Minneapolis!! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back