tardy swc

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
does anyone know why the swc is running so late? It is due in here at Dodge City about 18 hours late around 8:30 PM or so. This is unusual behavior for the Chief.

ah, i was just about to make a topic about this, till i saw this thread. i was waiting for an Amtrak train at Union Station to Bloomington-Normal(went back to school today), and while i was waiting for my train, noticed a big note below the Southwest Chief listing on the train arrivals screen stating that b/c of this derailment, the train wouldn't arrive at Union Station until like 7am tomorrow morning(hadn't checked the website yet for a more recent OTS, but i will later tonight). and i found this too after doing a google search: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/n...al/15068424.htm

Train #4 was held at Barstow on Sunday night/Monday morning, for a total of 16 hours, because of a freight derailment between there and Needles. At that point, it was decided to bus the eastbound passengers to the other train, which was turned back to Chicago, though of course it was impossible to make up any time....those who want to can see the arrival of TWO train #4's tomorrow, one around 3 a.m., and the other (hopefully) on time...

TransAtlantic said:
Train #4 was held at Barstow on Sunday night/Monday morning, for a total of 16 hours, because of a freight derailment between there and Needles. At that point, it was decided to bus the eastbound passengers to the other train, which was turned back to Chicago, though of course it was impossible to make up any time....those who want to can see the arrival of TWO train #4's tomorrow, one around 3 a.m., and the other (hopefully) on time...
oh! i didn't realize Amtrak stopped the eastbound #4 SWC around Needles, that seems a bit soon(and far west) to stop the train, unless i speculated wrong about where the derailment happened(since last night, the derailment in eastern Kansas was all i could find on a Google News search that had occurred on that day). i guess it was done as a precaution so that BNSF could more easily get train traffic on their system back to normal(and to minimize any freight train backlogs that'd occur otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back