Taking a Ride on Sunset for First Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

Hi,

I am taking a ride on the Sunset from LA to NOL. How does this ride compare to the other western trains, delays aside?

Hi,
I am taking a ride on the Sunset from LA to NOL. How does this ride compare to the other western trains, delays aside?
Well, I've done NOL-LAX on the Sunset twice, as well as the Chief and the Zephyr.

Although overall not as scenic as the Chief and especially the Zephyr, there are a lot of things to see on this route. The scenery is very nice out near Palm Springs...lots of mountains...and then you have desert scenery until basically San Antonio. You cross the Pecos River High Bridge in between Sanderson and Del Rio which is quite a feat of engineering! After you leave Beaumont you pass through the fields of Southwest Louisiana before running through bayou country for several hours (lots of water crossings) on approach to NOL. Then there's the Huey P. Long bridge crossing about 20 min. outside of NOL...it's the world's longest railroad bridge, 4.4 miles.

It's a pretty varied route all in all. Also, I've never had a bad crew on the Sunset. L.A crews are generally very good from what I have experienced.

Hi,
Just be prepared for anything and I mean that totally. From a flashlight to a few extra rations of food be like a Boy Scout and "be prepared." It is nothing for this train to be 12-14 hours late and you seem to already know that. If you're traveling in coach bring a few extra dollars in case you have to eat one or two extra meals on board because of delays. (Amtrak does not always give away food on delayed trains.) Some of your fellow passengers may not be such a joyous mood sitting in a siding watching stack trains go by in BOTH directions. I must admit this train carries the biggest mix of different types of people of any LD train I have ever ridden. I've watched California hippies light up weed in the lounge and act like it is their living room. I've seen people snorting coke in the smoking section of a coach (they no longer exist) but then I've enjoyed the little kids who seem oblivious to everything and don't even ask "when are we going to get there?" they are having such a good time. A mixed bag for sure; hope your trip is enjoyable.

Just did that trip a few weeks ago. It was long and sold out. Bring a camera and a book, and try to enjoy yourself. We were about 8 hours late when we got to Los Angeles

Hi,
When I rode #2 years ago, We went through Marfa, TX( 26 miles West of Alpine) during darkness and I asked the conductor if there really was unexplainable light sighting on a distant mountain to the Southwest. (..ie....UFO..ya sure.). He said he saw them several times and he would return when we get to a good location. He did and took the window of the seat ahead of me .So here we are, he with his head between the curtain and the window and me, the same. Talking back and forth. I never did see it, but he said he thought he did. The Marfa Lights story was featured on one of the Invstigateive news shows 6 or 7 years ago. Google Marfa lights, you'll get more than you care to read. I liked the El Paso area, Pecos river high bridge(+300 ft high) , the bridge over the Amistad reservoir(just west of Del Rio). Like the above reports, all the E-W LD trains have there intense scenic areas. It's just do you like Coke, Pepsi, or Dr Pepper? Its a good ride if you have the time. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back