Taking a coach class passenger back to your room..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

OBS Chief
What follows has been posted on the ever-useful Canada thread of the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree travel forum. Your thoughts and suggestions are also appreciated!

--

Here's a question about VIA Rail, which follows many others I've posted on this thread and others about my forthcoming trip (see the link in the signature at the end of the post).

My last leg will be between Halifax and Montréal on train 15, the Ocean, on Friday 19 May. My North America Railpass has secured me a seat in Comfort (coach/economy class). It is now possible my girlfriend will fly out from England to Halifax and join me for the ride back to Montréal, before flying home from there. When I rang VIA to check the cost of us getting a double bedroom together for the last ride home (stop that s****ing) I was quoted the following:

for her - $221.95 one way student fare for the ticket + double bedroom

for me - $94.30 upgrade from my railpass to the accomodation fare ..................total = $316.25

But, if she just books a double room on her own, ISIC one way fare Halifax - Montréal, it costs $255.30 (or $265.65 for a deluxe room).

So, if she just books a double room on her own, and I travel on my railpass fare, would the on train staff prevent me from passing the journey in her room? That service will be operated by the newer 'Renaissance' rolling stock - is it not possible for coach and sleeper passengers to mix? I imagine that the train crew would only turn down one bed, but I don't see that being a problem for us :)

Or... would we just have to maintain a pretense of being two strangers who happen to meet on the train and, er.... spend the night together? I'm open minded to a bit of role play, and although this sounds like something a couple would do to spice up a stagnant marraige, heck why not go all the way....... :D

Comments, suggestions and your experiences of hooking up on VIA sleeper trains most appreciated...!

*j* :blink:

I would not screw around with the Canadians, as they may charge you your fare anyways if they find out your not listed on the passenger list for that room. I just rode the Ocean and they are very aware of who is 1st class passenger or who is not. That is my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back