Tablet or Smartphone Mount in Base of Superliner Window

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The windows have a perforated metal plate at the base of the windows (at least in a bedroom). I came up with an idea for keeping a tablet or smartphone in place using a couple of machine screws inserted in two of the holes. I tried it out during my recent travels over the past two weeks with good results. Out of my junk box, pulled out some #10 machine screws (5/8 and 7/8 inch, just happened to be that length), washers and nuts. The #10 screw JUST fits into the hole with a little wiggling around. Next time, I'll try #8 or 4.5mm machine screws. Both lengths worked although it appears a 1/2 inch length is sufficient. The nut and washer provides a "lip" spaced above the surface of the plate which helps keep the tablet from bouncing out. The attached images will provide help clarify my description.

My wife used a pair for her smartphone and I used a pair for a tablet as illustrated. The spacing between them may be adjusted to fit the device.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

This is the kind of simple, creative thinking that I love. Well done.
default_smile.png

You might want to use some gaffers tape to hold the top of the tablet or phone to prevent it falling down. That's what I do in roomettes with my scanner and cell phone using the backside of the tray table holder to prevent the 'base' from sliding out. As most passengers know, every now and then there's a sideways lurch that will knock everything down, including those walking down the aisle.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to use some gaffers tape to hold the top of the tablet or phone to prevent it falling down. That's what I do in roomettes with my scanner and cell phone using the backside of the tray table holder to prevent the 'base' from sliding out. As most passengers know, every now and then there's a sideways lurch that will knock everything down, including those walking down the aisle.
Yep, good idea. On my recent trip (3 LD trains) it had enough of a back tilt that it stayed in place pretty good in spite of some strong side-to-side moves. No problems. If it falls off, I just pick it up and put it back, LOL! Same with the scanner and GPS.

Splendid idea. Simply splendid! Thanx for sharing it with us.

I'm kinda new to the world of GPS and would like to know what's being displayed on your tablet (other than some sort of topographical map).

I'm kinda new to the world of GPS and would like to know what's being displayed on your tablet (other than some sort of topographical map).
Its an Android app called "US Topo Maps". You can cache (download) map areas (a wide range of map types available including current and traditional topos, OSM, etc.) ahead of time if you don't a wireless/wifi connection. When I shot this, I was using the train provided wifi. This tablet is wifi only; if you have a phone/tablet with regular cell capability, that will work too.

My primary GPS for trips is the Garmin GPSmap 64s and with that, I record the "tracklog" continuously for the entire trip, I use the track log to geotag my photos to show location..

Thanx a lot for the information.

Up to now I've been previewing train routes using topo maps and creating hand written lists of all things with a name along the way - with mileposts added from the FRA Safety Map. It takes a long time, makes for a lot of eye strain and look like this sample:

TE Route Places (Sample).jpg

This may be a better way to see if there's anything of interest coming up.

Its an Android app called "US Topo Maps". You can cache (download) map areas (a wide range of map types available including current and traditional topos, OSM, etc.) ahead of time if you don't a wireless/wifi connection. When I shot this, I was using the train provided wifi. This tablet is wifi only; if you have a phone/tablet with regular cell capability, that will work too.

My primary GPS for trips is the Garmin GPSmap 63s and with that, I record the "tracklog" continuously for the entire trip, I use the track log to geotag my photos to show location..
Looks a lot like the maps aircraft use for GPS and flight plans.

My primary GPS for trips is the Garmin GPSmap 63s and with that, I record the "tracklog" continuously for the entire trip, I use the track log to geotag my photos to show location..
Looks a lot like the maps aircraft use for GPS and flight plans.
USGS Topo Map

Back