SWC roomette numbers.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brazzman

Train Attendant
Just purchased RT on SWC CHI > LAX for November travel and am assigned roomette #002 both ways. Is there a graphic somewhere showing the layouts of these roomettes? I wonder if it is upper or lower. Or any other first hand experience staying in this one? And finally, will I be able to switch rooms if a "better" one is available at time of boarding?

Upstairs center of the car just across from the Attendant (Roomette 1) and Kitty Korner to the upstairs Toilet. The Coffee & Juice Station is right next door and some folks find that a benefit but others complain. All in all it's a good Roomette.

I am going against the grain here. I'd rather be a little further away from the slamming toilet door. I'll trade walking 10 feet further for more peace and quiet. I like 3, 4, 5, and 6 best (middle of the row, not too close to the toilet or to the end door).

If you want to change, just call and ask. They should be able to change the roomette number without disrupting your reservation in any way, I've done it many times.

Thanks OlympianHiawatha and zephyr17 and oregon pioneer - your comments are encouraging. Wouldn't you know it - after I posted I searched around and found this http://www.amtrakagentsupport.com/fam-3d-tours-diagrams.htm On other threads, which I can't find now, I remember debates about upper VS lower, middle VS end of car. All had to do with noise levels, rocking & rolling, convenient proximity to showers & toilets or stairway issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have room 7 on the SWC #3. Where would that be located?

#7 would be the 4th row of roomette toward the end of the car, upper level. I will be in that one this Friday leaving Chicago for Flagstaff. 1 to 10 on upper level, 11-14 on lower.

When I first started taking amtrak I swear I had roomette 5 on every darn trip plus it was always facing to the south so I don't have any idea of what's on the north side of the Southwest Chief route. :) Then one time I was assigned a room on the bottom floor (still wound up on the south side of the train of course...) and I was tempted to ask for a change but decided against it so I could see if I liked it or not. Turns out that I prefer being downstairs for easy off and back on at stops so I'm glad I didn't request a change although it's not great for grabbing coffee when you're down there. That's where the majority of the bathrooms are so go figure. My point (and I do have one) is that you won't know unless you try it. I think any spot on the train is pretty great though. I still don't request a certain room because I haven't ridden enough to where I've experienced every room and especially since I took so many rides in Roomette 5!

I was not able to locate a diagram showing the penthouse suites that the_traveler favors, however.

I was not able to locate a diagram showing the penthouse suites that the_traveler favors, however.
That requires the ultimate security clearance. as in secret, top secret, for eyes only, burn after reading are some, but the ultimate clearance I have obtained is BBR (burn before reading).

I like Roomette 2 on a Superliner because one end of the room does NOT have another room adjacent to it, with the possible noise involved.

Downstairs is sure a lot quieter and less sway, but with more track noise.

Downstairs is sure a lot quieter and less sway, but with more track noise.
I wouldn't mind that at all. I live now near a busy freeway and have lived in apartments on busy main city roads. The noise sort of lulls my slumber. Besides it masks my tinitus ear ringing.

I have all the long distance cars and a few other digramed on my site...

http://craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Here is the SWC sleeper...

amtrak-diagram-superliner-sleeper.jpg

Don't like the lower level because view is more restricted. Tend to opt out of 1 and 2 because they're near the bathroom door and noise around coffee pot. But, in fact, these are usually reserved for crew/supplies. The rest are all pretty much the same.

For anyone consistently getting a roomette on the same side (N or S) just go take your book and camp out in an empty one on the other side. SCA will not care, especially if you don't sit on his/her brand new fluffed up pillows, clean up after yourself, and don't use the trash can.

So am I right that my #2 roomette on the westbound SWC would be on the North side of the car and the South side on the eastbound SWC?

In Superliners, roomette number one is not sold. It is for the sleeper attendant. Roomette two is always for sale. It is not reserved for crew. Not saying an attendant won't use it if it did not sell.

So am I right that my #2 roomette on the westbound SWC would be on the North side of the car and the South side on the eastbound SWC?
There is no way to know for sure, since the car can run with Bedrooms first or Roomettes first and that will change which side of the train you're on. In my experience, maybe 60% to 65% of the time the sleeper will run with Bedrooms first.

There is no way to know for sure, since the car can run with Bedrooms first or Roomettes first and that will change which side of the train you're on. In my experience, maybe 60% to 65% of the time the sleeper will run with Bedrooms first.
Oh, OK. I did not think or realize that the sleepers could run both ways (bedrooms 1st or roomettes 1st). Which explains the reason for platform access doors on both sides of the car as shown in printman2000 diagrams above.

BTW, in my experience, the roomettes are awarded in a certain order, starting with #2, unless you are on the phone with an agent and request a different number. I used to wonder why we always (and I do mean always) ended up with #2, right by the coffee pot and restroom. Then I realized that we were always booking early! I started asking for other numbers, and because I was early, I always got whichever one I wanted (they were all available). That was when I realized there is a "default," and it's #2. Don't know if they go in order after that, or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back