SW Chief or Sunset?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootman4U

Train Attendant
Looking at the possibility of another "fly there and take the train back" situation...probably in October 2010. Would fly to LAX from Washington, DC, and immediately take either the SWC to Chicago or the Sunset to N.O. and then fly home.

My tendency right now is to do the SWC to Chicago as I suspect the scenery would be a bit better. I've been along both routes, mostly by road, over the years so it is not that I will be seeing something "new" but rather to do so by rail.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the services along both routes are the same? Major differences in your opinion? I would definitely be doing this in a bedroom situation.

Any thoughts appreciated. :D

The major difference is that for most of the way from LAX to SAS on the SL is desert, and most of the rest may be low level flat lands and/or swamps. The SWC may be desert in the west, but there are also mountainous areas. Also, the SWC usually has a better OTP.

I personally would chose the SWC.

The major difference is that for most of the way from LAX to SAS on the SL is desert, and most of the rest may be low level flat lands and/or swamps. The SWC may be desert in the west, but there are also mountainous areas. Also, the SWC usually has a better OTP.
Thanks very much for your input..it is most appreciated.

We took the Texas Eagle (Sunset) out of LA - seemed like we were in Texas FOREVER - not real great! I took the SWC to LAX - GOOD SCENERY!!

I second what the traveler said.

We took the Texas Eagle (Sunset) out of LA - seemed like we were in Texas FOREVER - not real great! I took the SWC to LAX - GOOD SCENERY!!

Again, thanks very much

I'm total agree with The_ Traveler...last time my wife and I went to LA we tried to play a game~ count the cows in Texas. It's almost a 1,000 miles across Texas and we even cheated and ended the game in Deming, NM Total count? Five cows, one DEA dirigible and one sand storm. Not an exiting routing and until the drug dogs started boarding the Sunset en route a known drug alley for dealers.

I'm total agree with The_ Traveler...last time my wife and I went to LA we tried to play a game~ count the cows in Texas. It's almost a 1,000 miles across Texas and we even cheated and ended the game in Deming, NM Total count? Five cows, one DEA dirigible and one sand storm. Not an exiting routing and until the drug dogs started boarding the Sunset en route a known drug alley for dealers.
I've actually been a part of the "drug dogs boarding" or at least witnessed it, but that was when riding between Brig, Switzerland, and Domodossola, Italy, so yes, I understand what you mean. Actually, the Italian drug dog was pretty friendly...cute, too!

Again, thanks very much
No contest, the SWC for sure!Much as I love the Sunset Ltd. the Chief has it all over the Sunset! As to the drug dogs they are a regular sight down here since we are so close to the border and in the pipeline for drugs to the major cities throughout the middle of the country! There was a big bust in the Dallas station last week when I was there, the dogs hit on a guys luggage and a search showed up suitcases full of pot, he was handcuffed and hauled away while we did our stopover. The SCA told us that it was like 40 lbs., wonder if he shoulda checked the bags? :lol: And the Texas forever thing is true,it does take forever to cross Texas no matter how you travel!

(I was born here and live here! ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Again, thanks very much
No contest, the SWC for sure!Much as I love the Sunset Ltd. the Chief has it all over the Sunset! As to the drug dogs they are a regular sight down here since we are so close to the border and in the pipeline for drugs to the major cities throughout the middle of the country! There was a big bust in the Dallas station last week when I was there, the dogs hit on a guys luggage and a search showed up suitcases full of pot, he was handcuffed and hauled away while we did our stopover. The SCA told us that it was like 40 lbs., wonder if he shoulda checked the bags? :lol: And the Texas forever thing is true,it does take forever to cross Texas no matter how you travel!

(I was born here and live here! ;) )

Yes, I understand that the distance between Beaumont and El Paso is greater than the distance from either coast to the border of Texas so it makes sense that it would take a while to make it all the way through.

Thanks for your comments as they are appreciated.

"Chief, Chief, Chief........." More varied, better OTP.

Although, sometimes if you are "just in the mood" to stare out at the dessert, then the Sunset is for you........

You really can't go wrong on either train, 'cause, well, "you're on a train".

When time isn't a factor... and I'm going CHI-LAX (about 2 times a year to visit my best friend from high school who lives in California)... I usually perfer to take the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited. Maybe the scenery is a little better on the SWC, but I love the fact you can stay in the same bedroom for 3 straight nights on #421. But then again, I love long train trips... and for me... there is no need to get off the train to have a fun vacation... my ideal vacation would be a 2 week loop around the country on Amtrak.

I say drop the flight to LA! Take the train both ways. :) If only we all had that sort of time...

That being said,

The SWC is great for the varied scenery and the Native American flea market at ABQ.

The nice things about the TE/SL is that you spend several hours in San Antonio where you can catch up on sleep without losing any sightseeing.

Unfortunately, the best scenery on the TE is in Arkansas and is blocked by nighttime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate everyone's replies and thoughts/suggestions. I can definitely relate to the idea of spending several days and nights on the train which is also my own ideal.

However, after careful consideration I have decided to fly to Los Angeles and take the Southwest Chief to Chicago...made the rail (bedroom), plane, and hotel reservations last night and since have been looking at a lot of YouTube videos and also reading various trip reports on several sites.

The "directional" decision took some thinking (eastbound vs. westbound) but having lived in eastern Kansas (which I enjoyed) for three years I decided to take the train eastbound so I could take in that desert scenery in Az and NM.

Cheers to all and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back