Surfliner to Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roomette

Lead Service Attendant
I'm taking the Surfliner from San Diego to Lax to board a Texas Eagle sleeper.

Nice as the LAUS we'd rather not walk all the way there from the Surfliner only to stand in line then walk all the way back to the Texas Eagle.

Is it possible to simply wait for the TE to back in on it's track? Is it always the same track number?

Nice as the LAUS we'd rather not walk all the way there from the Surfliner only to stand in line then walk all the way back to the Texas Eagle.

Is it possible to simply wait for the TE to back in on it's track? Is it always the same track number?
You could, but how close are you planning on your connection time? I'm not sure of the seating on the platforms so you might be waiting awhile. Plus the walk isn't that far. It's usually down at platforms 10 or 11 IIRC.

You could, but how close are you planning on your connection time? I'm not sure of the seating on the platforms so you might be waiting awhile. Plus the walk isn't that far. It's usually down at platforms 10 or 11 IIRC.
It's one hour from Surfliner arrival to Texas eagle departure. Our luggae is plenty comfortable to sit on foe a few minutes. I assume the the TE will back in a bit ahead of departure time. Seem like a wait on the platform would go by quite quickly.

I connected from the Surfliner in Business Class to the Coast Starlight in Coach with about 40 minutes of connection time without ever entering Union Station (the attended gave me a seat assignment right at the door to the car, those in the station had to check in at a table). The Business Class attended on the Surfliner told me doing that was fine and pointed out where the train was, it had already come into Union Station.

As you get off the Surfliner (or are riding on it) just ask, there is practically no security about the platforms at LAUS (unlike Chicago or Portland for example, I once had about an hour between a late arriving California Zephyr and the Capital Limited and saw the trainset that was my Capital Limited on the next track but was told very strictly I had to walk into the station and deal with the zoo of the coach departures lounge, probably my least favorite place to board a train, the main reason why I'd like Select Plus Status)

I'm sure Amtrak will hold #2/422 if #11 is running late into LAX. Even though the dwell was cut down in San Antonio, it still sits there for a couple of hours... so even if it left at Midnight, it could easily be back on schedule by SAS... or probably before... as there is also some significant pad in Arizona and coming into ELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back