Superliner Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allan

Hi all, wonderful site.

Question about a superliner roomette - how do these compartments close?

do they have locks?

do they block sound or will i hear the guy across from me snoring?

if i leave for dinner or restroom - what about all my belongings (laptop, movies, ipod etc)

thanks for any help offered!!!

PS - anyone familiar with transportation in new orleans???

once i arrive, i need to get a rental car - are there places on sight or within a short taxi ride perhaps?

thanks!

(never trained before - virgin railer)

Hi all, wonderful site.

do they have locks?

if i leave for dinner or restroom - what about all my belongings (laptop, movies, ipod etc)

once i arrive, i need to get a rental car - are there places on sight or within a short taxi ride perhaps?

thanks!

They have a sliding door that locks from the inside only.

They block sound fairly well from the hallway. Given everyone else has a door also, there are two doors between you and the snorer. If you are near the end of the car, you may hear the door between cars open and close and the rail noise whlie the door is open.

As for security, while there have not been many problems, I would assume valuables are not safe. I know others may disagree. When I leave the roomette (and my travel partner leaves as well), we put the valuables in a backpack and carry it with us to the dining car, lounge, etc... If you are alone this might be a bit trickier.

Sorry, don't know anything about Nawlins.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I leave my Roomette, I make sure anything valuable I leave behind is out of sight and the curtain is drawn. I've found neighbors will usually watch out for one another and a good car attendant knows who is coming and going. I just finished a very enjoyable trip on the Texas Eagle in Roomette 9, right at the end of the car next to the CCC (Diner). The noise of the vestibule door didn't bother me.

Hi all, wonderful site.

do they have locks?

thanks!

In addition to the door that locks from the inside, there is also a curtain that may be pulled so no one in the hall can see in. So, if you are gone, pull the curtain and shut the door. No one can tell if there is anyone in the room or not.

I put things away in luggage or backpack when I am gone and leave nothing of value in sight in the room, even though the curtain is pulled. Never have had a problem.

While some theft does occur, it is extremely rare on trains. Where is the thief going to go if the train is moving???

Awesome thanks! So these rooms are worth the extra $120 or so?

I like my privacy - im just worried about overall comfort

(obviously im sure they are more comfortable that a regular coach chair)

thanks for all the replies everyone - looking forward to my first train ride...

ps - should i bring my dramamene?

A cheap pair of foam earplugs may be a plus for you as there are all sorts of sounds that you don't normally hear at home.

In my opinion coach seats are more comfortable for sitting that roomette seats, but you can't make coach seats into a FLAT bed. Plus, meals are included in the diner with the price of a roomette.

Yeah, bring your Dramamine just in case you need it. Some first-time riders have no problem while others get queasy with the swaying of the train. I'd say that it gets better with more train travel experience. :)

Thanks so much everyone - i just booked my roomette.

Anything else i should consider? im hoping to just eat in my room and sleep most of the way...

how is cell phone reception on the train? as expected as you travel from city to farm to city?

There is an abundance of cab drivers and for around $15 or so you can take a short ride to the quarter.

PM me with any other questions on what to do or where to eat. Enjoy!

MStrain

Thanks so much everyone - i just booked my roomette.
Anything else i should consider? im hoping to just eat in my room and sleep most of the way...

how is cell phone reception on the train? as expected as you travel from city to farm to city?
Cell phone pretty good with Verizon in towns and near interstates, no signal in the middle of the Navajo Nation.

Re eating in your room: going to the diner and meeting other travelers is part of the experience ... strongly suggest you try it early in the trip before deciding on room service.

Re sleeping most of the way: and miss the scenery? I don't recall what route you are on, but some have naturalists or museum docents in the lounge part of the way. Lounge cars also have windows on both sides on the train.

I see you were concerned about security leaving your room. Only sleeper passengers are allowed in the sleeper cars so I wouldn't worry too much. The escape route is not very good from a moving train (as MrFSS said) ... Maybe some people will post more suggestions for increasing security for things you leave in your compartment so you'll feel secure enough to leave. If nothing else, maybe you can find an alarm or lock that will fit your needs.

Others: are there any places to attach a bicycle lock in a roomette? I can't think of any, but maybe the bed/seat hardware has something?

Just off the top of my head, there may be concerns with trying to lock your Roomette while away, as that would block a potential escape route in an emergency.

Yeah, bring your Dramamine just in case you need it. Some first-time riders have no problem while others get queasy with the swaying of the train. I'd say that it gets better with more train travel experience. :)

I'm super queasy when traveling - I almost always feel sick on almost every plane ride, even with Dramamine. Riding the train hardly bothered me at all - including the night sleeping on the upper bunk of a roomette, which I thought would be a problem. As Anthony said, you probably won't need it, but it wouldn't hurt.

Just off the top of my head, there may be concerns with trying to lock your Roomette while away, as that would block a potential escape route in an emergency.
Just in case you were responding to my note about a bike lock, I was thinking more of securing luggage so it couldn't be carried out. I agree with you locking the door blocks an escape route.

I'm super queasy when traveling - I almost always feel sick on almost every plane ride, even with Dramamine. Riding the train hardly bothered me at all - including the night sleeping on the upper bunk of a roomette, which I thought would be a problem. As Anthony said, you probably won't need it, but it wouldn't hurt.
"Motion Sickness" or "Sea Sickness" is usually caused when the brain senses motion from the inner ears, but sees no motion with the eyes. On a train, simply enjoying the passing landscape thru the windows should minimize such queasiness.

I have found that there is so much background noise (clunk-clunk of the rails, the blast of the horn, the clang of the crossing gates, etc), you really can't hear people in adjoining rooms.

I have found that there is so much background noise (clunk-clunk of the rails, the blast of the horn, the clang of the crossing gates, etc), you really can't hear people in adjoining rooms.
But that's what makes the experience of train travel so fun and enjoyable. After a night on the train, I find it takes me a night or 2 to get acclimated to sleeping in a bed that's not moving in a room that is now too quiet :)

Awesome thanks! So these rooms are worth the extra $120 or so?
I like my privacy - im just worried about overall comfort

(obviously im sure they are more comfortable that a regular coach chair)

thanks for all the replies everyone - looking forward to my first train ride...

ps - should i bring my dramamene?
My father would argue with me on the following- he takes the train for solitude, and in a sleeper, if you want a solitude, you can have tons of it- as Gene Wilder said, some "just want to be bored". Of course, then he sleeps with someone he met at dinner, but whatever. (EDIT: GENE WILDER, NOT MY FATHER (i hope))

My father would disagree with:

A train is a place to meet people and enjoy moving around and not being cooped up. I hate being cooped up. Get up. Go to the lounge (if your train is so equipped) and meet people. Drink. Talk. Laugh. HAVE FUN. Meet some people in the diner and have a great conversation, a real fun one. Eat the delicious food. Despite all efforts to the contrary, Amtrak kitchens are staffed by chefs. Some of these guys are true artists with Convection ovens, and some food is still prepared to order.

In a hellacious world with no fun in it, no charm, and plastic smiles, you are going into its last refuge on an Amtrak train. When their crew members smile, they mean it. Human-to-human connection is what makes the train worth the extra time, and extra money. Every connection you make on the train, be it with passengers or crew, is human-to-human. They scowl sometimes, I admit, but they are scowling at you as a person. I'd rather a real scowl than a fake smile, any time.

Don't sit there in that roomette of yours and miss this. I take sleeping compartments. Unless I find some good looking and horny blonde, I want my privacy when I sleep. (And my girlfriend would see to removing that unless!) The rest of the day, its time to see America- and her people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. One of the great things is meeting and interacting with you fellow travelers. You may or may not have the same people at your table for breakfast that you had met the night before at dinner. And you may or may not meet the same people in the lounge car at different times. On a plane, while sitting in seat 22-A, you may talk to the person in seat 22-B, but I doubt you would talk to the person in 19-A or 26-E! And in a car, unless you stop, you would not talk to the people in the other cars (except for cutting you off, etc...)!

I agree. One of the great things is meeting and interacting with you fellow travelers. You may or may not have the same people at your table for breakfast that you had met the night before at dinner. And you may or may not meet the same people in the lounge car at different times. On a plane, while sitting in seat 22-A, you may talk to the person in seat 22-B, but I doubt you would talk to the person in 19-A or 26-E! And in a car, unless you stop, you would not talk to the people in the other cars (except for cutting you off, etc...)!
Car to Car = Sign Language, LOL :p

Another roomette question - I notice that Amtrak supplies bottled water to passengers - is this unlimited or just 1 bottle per? I drink several bottles a day and am not sure if I need to bring extra onboard.

Another roomette question - I notice that Amtrak supplies bottled water to passengers - is this unlimited or just 1 bottle per? I drink several bottles a day and am not sure if I need to bring extra onboard.
Bottled water is supplied to each compartment on arrival. Further supplies are held on a shelf near the coffee urn in the centre of the sleeper. Supplies generally hold out for the duration of the trip but can run out on the second day.

But don't grab a supply and hoard it - it'll just lead to everybody doing it. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back