Superliner Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another roomette question - I notice that Amtrak supplies bottled water to passengers - is this unlimited or just 1 bottle per? I drink several bottles a day and am not sure if I need to bring extra onboard.
On one of the trains I took last month, the sleeper attendant suggested that I order water with my dinner. He was not supplied with as many of the small water bottles as he should have been. Plus the bottle of water I got with dinner was about twice the size of what they had available in the sleeper. If you have the space, it could be wise for you to bring some extra with you just in case.

There is an abundance of cab drivers and for around $15 or so you can take a short ride to the quarter.
PM me with any other questions on what to do or where to eat. Enjoy!

MStrain
Are all the trolleys back up and running? Do they connect to Amtrak?
They are up and running, although I'm not sure if the St. Charles line is yet running it's full length. But at least most of the route is up and running.

And no, the lines don't connect to the Amtrak station. The St. Charles line comes the closest, but it's still a 6 or 7 block walk IIRC.

When I go sleeper I typically tell the car attendant to leave my room in night arrangement even during the day. Why? Well if I want to sit up and look outside I will go to the lounge or somewhere similar to do so instead of sitting alone in the compartment. If I do go to the room I can lie down and either nap or watch the scenery go by.

There is an abundance of cab drivers and for around $15 or so you can take a short ride to the quarter.

MStrain
They are up and running, although I'm not sure if the St. Charles line is yet running it's full length. But at least most of the route is up and running.

And no, the lines don't connect to the Amtrak station. The St. Charles line comes the closest, but it's still a 6 or 7 block walk IIRC.
The last section of the St. Charles line on Carrollton Ave. was restored in June so all lines are back in operationThat being said, service is not what is was, pre-Katrina. Headways have increased and services end earlier, best to check the NORTA website for current schedules.

The 1920's era, Perley-Thomas "green" cars are providing all services on St. Charles, Canal and Riverfront. The "Von Dullen", 2000 series replica cars (named after Elmer Von Dullen who designed and supervised their construction) are currently receiving heavy overhauls to repair flood damage.

Alan is correct, the closest the St. Charles line gets to the Amtrak station is at Howard Ave. and Carondolet, roughly a 15 minute walk.

On the topic of the roomette, how small is the upper birth for a super liner roometter? I will be traveling from Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder and I'll be the one in the upper berth.

Thanks.

On the topic of the roomette, how small is the upper birth for a super liner roometter? I will be traveling from Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder and I'll be the one in the upper berth.
The lower berth is 2'4" x 6'6"

The upper berth is 2'0" x 6'2"

Guest_Seattle Rider_* Today, 05:45 PM Post #30 On the topic of the roomette, how small is the upper birth for a super liner roometter? I will be traveling from Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder and I'll be the one in the upper berth.
My husband and I traveled to California via the Southwest Chief in May. Although we have taken Amtrak in the past if was our first experience with a roomette. My husband is on an oxygen concentrator, thus the need for a power source only available in the sleepers. We found it a bit tight for 2 people--I spent a lot of time in the lounge car during the day.

Night time was another story. I was the one who planned to sleep in the bunk. After a 5 minute ordeal of trying to get up there--There was no ladder and I couldn't really find anything solid to grip--I found myself having an extreme attack of claustrophia. I felt like I was in a coffin! There was just no room up there--I couldn't sit up, could hardly roll over--and I figured if it took me that long to get up there, how was I ever going to get back down. Since I usually get up once or twice during the night, I decided I just could not sleep up there. I felt a bit foolish but our car attendant assured me that others have had that reaction. My husband and I slept sitting up in the lower level that night. The next night I planned to sleep in the lounge car but the roomette across the hall became available and the car attendant graciously allowed me to sleep there. Needless to say he got a nice tip from us! On the return trip I again was offered a spare roomette one of the nights and the other night I took my pillow and blanket to the lounge car where I slept quite well on one of the bench seats.

Other than the close quarters, we thoroughly enjoyed the trip. I think the roomette would be great for one person or maybe two people smaller, younger and more agile than my husband and I! We enjoyed the experience of being "first class" passengers, but we will have to give more thought to our next trip.

MStrain

Just for the record they are called "street cars' in New Orleans and YES, they are back in service. Perhaps the most famous, the St. Charles line, has been back in full operation for some time now. You can almost see the line from UPT but I would not suggest trying to walk with luggage to it.

... --I found myself having an extreme attack of claustrophia. I felt like I was in a coffin!
My experience has been a bit different. I am extremely claustrophobic myself, but I have never had a single problem in a roomette.

They aren't all that small. I have been in people's guest bathrooms that are smaller! :D

But do you often try to sleep or lie down in people's guest bathrooms? :huh:
Maybe he depends on how much he had to drink? :rolleyes:

However, I have to agree with him. Roomettes aren't really all THAT small. And having your own territory, regardless of how small, is still having your own territory.

But do you often try to sleep or lie down in people's guest bathrooms? :huh:
Maybe he depends on how much he had to drink? :rolleyes:

However, I have to agree with him. Roomettes aren't really all THAT small. And having your own territory, regardless of how small, is still having your own territory.
Yes, I agree--the roomette itself was fine and we enjoyed having our own private space. It was only trying to sleep in the top bunk that I had a problem with.

I agree. One of the great things is meeting and interacting with you fellow travelers. You may or may not have the same people at your table for breakfast that you had met the night before at dinner. And you may or may not meet the same people in the lounge car at different times. On a plane, while sitting in seat 22-A, you may talk to the person in seat 22-B, but I doubt you would talk to the person in 19-A or 26-E! And in a car, unless you stop, you would not talk to the people in the other cars (except for cutting you off, etc...)!
Car to Car = Sign Language, LOL :p

I actually saw that once, A bus from a Deaf school and what must have been friends in a car drove along side by side on the Interstate for about 20 miles and there was lots of conversation, since the car was full of teen girls and the bus was all teen boys I am sure some further contact was planned ;8*}

Bob

I agree. One of the great things is meeting and interacting with you fellow travelers. You may or may not have the same people at your table for breakfast that you had met the night before at dinner. And you may or may not meet the same people in the lounge car at different times. On a plane, while sitting in seat 22-A, you may talk to the person in seat 22-B, but I doubt you would talk to the person in 19-A or 26-E! And in a car, unless you stop, you would not talk to the people in the other cars (except for cutting you off, etc...)!
Car to Car = Sign Language, LOL :p

I actually saw that once, A bus from a Deaf school and what must have been friends in a car drove along side by side on the Interstate for about 20 miles and there was lots of conversation, since the car was full of teen girls and the bus was all teen boys I am sure some further contact was planned ;8*}

Bob
Not a doubt in my mind!

Well back from my trip a few weeks ago...

The roomette was very nice (one person travelling)

the chairs were comfy, the food was pretty good - better than i expected.

Cleanliness - well it was ok. the window was smeared, some crumbs in the seat...

trying to sleep though was near impossible (laying down). i dont know how anyone does it. i was thrown from side to side all night. i slept better the next day with the chair reclined and a bunch of pillows around me...

all in all an ok experience - not sure if i would do it again. i was in the "crew" car since i booked so late. the exhaust was terrible and the horn goes off every 30 seconds - even at 2am....

I was on the #6 returning on Sept 2. My sister and I had a roomette in the crew car and most of the trip we were the only non crew people on that car. It was great having a bathroom to ourselves. We are not small people, about 250 lbs each with big bellys. :eek: . I was pretty hesitant about the upper berth, but it fit me fine. The only difficult part was climbing the little steps/shelves to get to the bunk, and climbing down. I think even smaller people would have a little difficulty since you are searching for the correct footing when climbing down. My sister just spotted me to make sure i didnt miss the footing. Definitley use the cargo net. Yes, it was bouncy and lots of movement, but if you normally sleep well, you probably wont have a problem. I am a light sleeper and do need to use the potty often at night, so hey, a bit of a nuisance, but would do it again in a heartbeat. I didnt sleep on botton bunk at all, which would of been nicer( sis said it was) since I knew my sister would not be able to use the upper bunk. With the room set up for night, it is very crowded, i did get in upper bunk with door open, then she just closed it. Our attendant came around 9:30 pm to set it up. Second night we held her off for a few. We were very late and were just coming to the Moffet tunnel and my sister wanted to experience it sitting up...even though it was DARK. Anyway, for me plenty of room, top not as soft of a mattress but it was fine. We got a little bit of exhaust the last morning for about a 15 mins and i loved the locomotive horn, which we didnt hear much of and we were 3rd car back. Food was great. Shower was with our bathroom and it was a standard single shower. It just so happened we were at a station when i took my shower, so not any movement. The towels are just a little bigger that a hand towel so maybe ask for more towels. No newspaper the first morning, labor day and apparently no paper left. Next morning had one in Lincoln. Case of water in end room. Since we were the only ones in the car, i just got water as needed and added ice. they had a cooler of it. Other cars were full, so may of had to ask for items more often. Any other questions, just ask.

... --I found myself having an extreme attack of claustrophia. I felt like I was in a coffin!
My experience has been a bit different. I am extremely claustrophobic myself, but I have never had a single problem in a roomette.

They aren't all that small. I have been in people's guest bathrooms that are smaller! :D
I've slept on top of a coffin (my father-in-law, who is still in fine health, made it for himself. Naturally now he wants to be cremated.), and in a bathroom. I'd take an upper bunk in a roomette over both. Nevertheless, I've now decided that I want to travel exclusively in the family bedroom. The coach is so long that my wife and I could nap, each taking one end of the coach, even with room set up for day. A little overlapping of legs, but quite comfortable. No traffic, and a nice, solid door.

But really, it's all what you're used to. I was just in Glacier Nat'l Park and was petrified taking the shuttle bus up the Going to the Sun Road the first time. The bus driver, who has driven the road for 40 years, said that she couldn't see what made people nervous.

I'd recommend avoiding roomette #2. It's next to the coffee, the stairs, and one upper-level toilet, so you get lots of traffic and can get some noisome odors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back