Superliner Roomette vs Accessible Bedroom?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had booked a roomette on the Empire Builder, and just noticed that the Accessible Bedroom opened up for $400 or so more than my roomette cost (I believe that’s the low-bucket bedroom cost, and mine was the high bucket roomette price). Any thoughts as to whether switching would be worth it? I get that people don’t like the toilet in the room, though it would seem having your own toilet would be better than having to walk elsewhere in the car. I am already in the lower level, so that wouldn’t be an issue. My only other concern would be the issue with cars being removed - right now I’m in 830 so safe unless the whole train is cancelled.

I do not particularly like the Superliner Accessible Bedroom. I prefer the upstairs "regular" Bedroom.

A few issues with these:
  • They're adjacent to the bathrooms. People tend not to close the bathroom doors fully when exiting, leaving them swinging and banging during the night.
  • There was intermittently a rather strong sewage smell. I suspect they may be close to the macerator.
  • Although you are already on the lower level, the windows are half as wide as the Roomette windows. You have to get up close to the window to get a good view.
  • There is only one couch, not seats on both sides. You may be riding backwards.

OK - I get that a regular bedroom is better if you don’t need the accessibility, though I didn’t know that there were disadvantages vs a roomette. Given that, I figure I may just stick with that. May want to check for an upper level roomette, though I’d still be worried about being in a car that could get removed…

There was intermittently a rather strong sewage smell. I suspect they may be close to the macerator.
Confirm that, the macerator and the sewage tank are in the utility space over the truck just behind the H bedroom wall.

I've been in an H room when the attendant offered it to me when the floor heat in roomette 2 where I was booked was heating uncontrollably. I wouldn't pay an extra $400 for it.

Back