Superliner replacement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
George,

Sadly that idea wouldn't increase headroom, but rather would decrease it marginally. The upper bed in the roomette has slightly less headroom than the upper bed in a Bedroom because of the curve of the car ceiling and the need to clear the both the window and still be above seat backs on the lower combo bed/seat.

And while it wouldn't affect the ability to do a two room suite, it would prevent one from opening the bathroom door once the bed is down.
How about adding a second row of windows to the Superliners, like the Viewliners have? A window in that upper bunk would make a huge difference.

Of course, with two levels, that would make 4 rows of windows per car! That sure would look interesting...

George,

Sadly that idea wouldn't increase headroom, but rather would decrease it marginally. The upper bed in the roomette has slightly less headroom than the upper bed in a Bedroom because of the curve of the car ceiling and the need to clear the both the window and still be above seat backs on the lower combo bed/seat.

And while it wouldn't affect the ability to do a two room suite, it would prevent one from opening the bathroom door once the bed is down.
How about adding a second row of windows to the Superliners, like the Viewliners have? A window in that upper bunk would make a huge difference.

Of course, with two levels, that would make 4 rows of windows per car! That sure would look interesting...
That would work on the lower level, as in you could put in such a window. But it would be much harder to do so on the upper level, again thanks to that curve in the roof of the car.

Besides, that would do nothing for the headroom, it would just make the upper bunk appear less claustrophobic.

Superliner Bedrooms: I wonder if anyone at Amtrak has considered a redesign of the berths in the bedrooms? If they changed the upper berth to be parallel to the direction of travel, next to the window (and let the lower remain in its current spot, with that person's feet being "under the upper"),then the upper could be designed with more headroom. Right now the ceiling is awfully close and you can't sit up.

We can't handle the claustrophic upper berth in Superliners, so such a change would help a lot. Of course, it might throw a monkey wrench in the ability to open two rooms ensuite.
Oh Please No. To me, one of the best things about a bedroom is that the berths are perpendicular to the tracks. Both Mrs SP&S and I sleep better with that alignment - rough tracks are less bothersome. And for some reason, just being able to look out the window from the upper berth in a bedroom makes it much less claustrophobic up there.

Whatever, I don't think they will be implementing a new SuperLiner anytime soon.

That would work on the lower level, as in you could put in such a window. But it would be much harder to do so on the upper level, again thanks to that curve in the roof of the car.
Besides, that would do nothing for the headroom, it would just make the upper bunk appear less claustrophobic.
Yeah - that's what I was actually thinking - curved upper windows like the SSL. I know they can't squeeze any more space into that roomette upper bunk, but a view would make it much less claustrophobic and give you something to look at up when you're stuck up there.

Imagine lying on that bunk, just a few inches from the curved glass, when the train suddenly enters a tunnel! That might be a little freaky, but I'd take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps Amtrak should do some directed advertising toward U S NAVY veterans.

Even the upper roomette berth has way more than 18 inches overhead.

And the lower is like what Chiefs and Junior Officers get (on a carrier I mean)

Naah - the roomette is - close quarters - for me worth every cubic inch for the money - because of the privacy and (small) space - with or without a traveling companion.

But needs and preferences differ - there was a post recently where a new roomette Amtrak user just felt claustrophobic in a roomette with a spouse.

Designing the next generation sleeping car will need a lot of market research in a market segment that is - worldwide - really small.

Hope it goes well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back