Superliner Bedroom or Family Bedroom???.....CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabbytony

Train Attendant
What are the advatanges/disadvantages of each? Will be traveling alone and am looking for comfort?

Thank you

If you're traveling alone, I'd go for the regular bedroom. It's on the upper level (pros and cons to that), and it has its own private bath and shower. Two bunks, the lower being larger than the upper. You have some views out both sides of the train (across the narrow hall on one side).

The family BR is on one end of the lower level. It has four bunks, two of them being child-sized. It does not have its own bathroom, but there are bathrooms down the hall. It is the full width of the train and has (smaller) windows on both sides of the train. I think it's also usually more expensive than a regular BR. Check amsnag.net for price comparisons on different dates and different accommodations.

Amtrak.com has diagrams, dimensions, and pictures.

Some pros & cons of levels:

Top level: Top level is the only access to other cars (lounge, dining, etc.) Consensus seems to be that there is a little more sway up higher, but the views are better. Only need to use the stairs twice unless you need smoking stops. Coffee station is on the upper level.

The stairs are narrow with turns.

Bottom level: Less sway, quicker access to detrain at smoking stops. Less through traffic. More noise? Fewer sleeping compartments, some are reserved for handicapped travelers. If going to other cars, must use the stairs. The "community" luggage storage area is on this level, but in a regular BR you could use the top bunk for luggage if you needed to.

Others may know more than I.

Have fun on your trip and please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back