Sunset/Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill Doyle

Planning to catch the Sunset Ltd out of Tucson this October. Arrives San Antonio at 1025PM and the Texas Eagle departs next morning at 0800. If a book a roomette do I just stay on board? If fully booked out and have to travel coach what happens to the through passengers? Coming from Australia I really don't like the idea of wandering the streets of San Antonio with bag and baggage in the wee small hours of the morning. Has anyone else traveled this route since they changed the schedule on April 27? Heading for an Air Force Reunion in Shreveport LA.

Not sure about staying onboard overnight, but there are serveral good hotels within a 5 minute cab ride in downtown San Antonio just in case.

Of course, with the "on time performance" of the Sunset, you might not have to worry about much.

I'm reasonably certain that passengers are allowed to remain on board. I have yet to see anything to the contrary.

As one who makes this trip often (Tucson to Dallas and back in my case), I can confirm the rules are that those on the through-sleeper stay on the sleeper in San Antonio; everyone else gets off. The through-sleeper people were thrown off once in my memory when there was no access to power to plug the sleeper in for the night: construction.

Also, there is a Best Western hotel only one block from the train station (walk toward the city center). I have used it for by-the-hour stays and getting a shower.

Just make sure that you are booked on train #422 the through cars for the Texas Eagle, that are hooked to the Sunset Limited. At San Antonio those cars are uncoupled from the Sunset and you can remain fast asleep until the Eagle leaves the next morning.

Train 422 and 421 through sleeper and coach passengers get to remain onboard the train during the layover in San Antonio. Book early as these seats and sleepers are in highest demand and fill up fast.

If you are booked in a sleeper or coach on train 2 and then 422 (or train 421 then train 1) you WILL be thrown off the train at San Antonio and have to wait inside the station all night.

Thanks to all for the information given. Makes things a lot easier for planning the trip. G'day all.

Back