Sunset Route Change?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

On the tranorders board there is a rumor that the Sunset might get a route change that would have it go through Phoenix and onto the BNSF transcontinental. Is there any validity to this and how much longer would this trip take? How many more miles would it be?

In order for the Sunset to be rerouted off of one line to another, 180 days notice would have to be posted for any stations losing service. While I'm sure Amtrak has considered rerouting the train, I doubt any decision has been made, or that consideration has ever even gone beyond the "what if" level (save that one time a few years ago with Warrington's Marked-Based Network Analysis plan).

Some would even say that Amtrak doesn't care enough about long-distance trains to make such a reroute even worth its while. *I* wouldn't say that, mind you, but some would.

Somebody refresh my memory here---maybe I am "all wet".....but hasn't the Sunset already been moved away from Phoenix once? Didn't it formerly go through Phoenix and got re-routed away from same?

Of course that is no reason why they would not move it back.

I am at work, as always, no old timetables here to check this out!! (

NOTE: This change, if made, I am thinking it was under Amtrak auspices, not something years before)..

The Sunset did indeed once go to Phoenix instead of Maricopa. UP wanted to downgrade or abandon some track years ago (I don't remember what it was) so the Sunset was forced onto its current route. I'd highly doubt that this reroute would occur, but, you never know in this business.

battalion51 said:
but, you never know in this business.
YEP! :lol: :D

Sunset Route via Seatle...... :blink: OBS...

so why couldnt amtrak reroute the sunset limited onto some other track in order to continue to service phoenix? im sure phoenix is freight train accessible, therefore would be amtrak accessible.

MontanaJim said:
so why couldnt amtrak reroute the sunset limited onto some other track in order to continue to service phoenix? im sure phoenix is freight train accessible, therefore would be amtrak accessible.
From what I understand about the situation, the YouPee RR abandoned the line running wet out of Phoenix (toward Yuma) so the only way freight trains have to get into the City is on a spur line connecting to the mainline east of Phoenix, somewhere around Casa Grande. I have heard others say that the line west out of Phoenix is still being used by freights but the speed limit is restricted to 25 mph.

Regardless of the actual case, I agree that Amtrak should make a strong effort to reroute the Sunset Limited back into Phoenix Union Station on whatever track they can possibly get it in there on, even if it adds a few hours to the schedule or requires some backtracking. With the Sunset's schedule as loose and lousy as it currently is, Amtrak needs to first focus on serving its major metropolitan centers to increase the number of pax on board. When Amtrak has re-established itself in Phoenix the YouPee might get sick of having them backtrack and be in the way or some political officials might step in to provide funding to restore the spur line to the west of Phoenix.

There has been talk of a future commuter rail system serving Phoenix. One line would go on that Phoenix West route towards Yuma. Starting such a line would obviously force the restoration of passenger train speeds along the line and permit the SUNSET to return to its former routing.

As for the rumor that the SUNSET would join the BNSF Railway transcontinental line, leave it alone as just a rumor. Just as it was mentioned above that certain cities west of Phoenix would have to get 180-day abandonment notices, those on a new routing (I mean before it gets onto trackage already served by the SOUTHWEST CHIEF) would therefore be considered "new". And Amtrak is not allowed to start any new services right now.

Well wouldn't Phoenix itself be considered "new" since there is currently no train service there?

battalion51 said:
Well wouldn't Phoenix itself be considered "new" since there is currently no train service there?
Technically it shouldn't be considered a new city on the Amtrak system since there are currently two Amtrak Thruway van stops/stations in Phoenix, one at the metro center and the other at the airport. Each of these stops has connecting van service to the Southwest Chief at Flagstaff, Arizona. I know this doesn't count, but prohibiting a reroute of the Sunset back into Phoenix (and abandoning Maricopa, my what a loss :lol: ) would be just plain stupid.

While I don't have the exact language handy, the prohibition on "new" service essentially said that Amtrak can't start any service that will cost more than it earns (i.e. loses money). If a reroute via Phoenix brings in more revenue than Maricopa, and the increased costs (if any) are less than the extra revenue, then such a move would not be prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back