Sunset limited schedule to change in may

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Train2104 said:
1331681917[/url]' post='353266']
Shortline said:
1331680890[/url]' post='353261']You sure? I'm going OKC-FTW-SAS-NOL. Was going to change from Texas Eagle to Sunset Limited. Just checked, doesn't even show as a valid booking now. If we were on a through car, great...but I don't think that's the case. Hence, either cancel, or, sit all night in the station.
I didn't realize you were going the other way. Then I guess you'll have to sit in the station.
Well, we promised our son we could take the train, he was mortified we'd even think of canceling and flying. Wife was adamant that we were not going to spend the night in a station waiting, and it's not long enough to bother getting a hotel. Ended up changing our reservation to OKC-FTW-CHI-NOL, then returning in reverse. Bummed we're burning a beach day by adding another full day on the train, but it seemed like the lesser of two evils. May end up cancelling anyway if we can find another way to use the points, but for now, we're at least confirmed on a trip that won't leave us in San Antonio in the middle of the night. Now I need to waste time going to the pt office to mail these tickets in, to get our new ones.

San Antonio to the west, for non-Texas Eagle passengers, loses. But the times for NOL to Houston and SAS aren't so bad. Now if they were smart, they might allow sleeper passengers boarding in SAS for points west (and vice-versa) to book rooms in the Eagle sleeper pending availability, and board early/sleep in. It'd almost be worth booking to/from AUS...

You sure? I'm going OKC-FTW-SAS-NOL. Was going to change from Texas Eagle to Sunset Limited. Just checked, doesn't even show as a valid booking now. If we were on a through car, great...but I don't think that's the case. Hence, either cancel, or, sit all night in the station.
I didn't realize you were going the other way. Then I guess you'll have to sit in the station.
Well, we promised our son we could take the train, he was mortified we'd even think of canceling and flying. Wife was adamant that we were not going to spend the night in a station waiting, and it's not long enough to bother getting a hotel. Ended up changing our reservation to OKC-FTW-CHI-NOL, then returning in reverse. Bummed we're burning a beach day by adding another full day on the train, but it seemed like the lesser of two evils. May end up cancelling anyway if we can find another way to use the points, but for now, we're at least confirmed on a trip that won't leave us in San Antonio in the middle of the night. Now I need to waste time going to the pt office to mail these tickets in, to get our new ones.
How do you get beach days at NOL if there is no ocean? I know there's a river but no beach. How bad is sitting overnight at SAS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Swadian Hardcore said:
1331685180[/url]' post='353286']
Shortline said:
1331684650[/url]' post='353283']
Train2104 said:
Shortline said:
1331680890[/url]' post='353261']You sure? I'm going OKC-FTW-SAS-NOL. Was going to change from Texas Eagle to Sunset Limited. Just checked, doesn't even show as a valid booking now. If we were on a through car, great...but I don't think that's the case. Hence, either cancel, or, sit all night in the station.
How do you get beach days at NOL if there is no ocean? I know there's a river but no beach. How bad is sitting overnight at SAS?
We're going to Pensacola, NOL is the closest station. How bad is sitting all night in a station??? Not how I'm spending vacation, up all night in a plastic amseat. The more I think about this, the more certain I am we'll end up cancelling. 2 days on 3 different trains, just to drive another 3.5 hours to where we really want to be anyway, all for what equates now to 2 days at the beach just to do it all again in reverse......This is starting to not look like a good deal, even free. (agr award tickets)

You sure? I'm going OKC-FTW-SAS-NOL. Was going to change from Texas Eagle to Sunset Limited. Just checked, doesn't even show as a valid booking now. If we were on a through car, great...but I don't think that's the case. Hence, either cancel, or, sit all night in the station.
We're going to Pensacola, NOL is the closest station. How bad is sitting all night in a station??? Not how I'm spending vacation, up all night in a plastic amseat. The more I think about this, the more certain I am we'll end up cancelling. 2 days on 3 different trains, just to drive another 3.5 hours to where we really want to be anyway, all for what equates now to 2 days at the beach just to do it all again in reverse......This is starting to not look like a good deal, even free. (agr award tickets)
Haave you sat overnight at SAS? I directed the question at people who had expierience with it. Also, you could take the Ambut to KCY, then SWC to CHI, then CONO to NOL. Just saying.

Will sleeper passengers be kicked out on arrival into lax?
I would expect the sleeper passengers will be allowed to stay onboard for a while. Amtrak has plenty of time to turn the equipment around.

For those wondering what is the reasoning behind and benefits are for the schedule change, those are discussed in the September 2010 SL/TE PIP report. Amtrak saves on equipment costs, reduces crew and staff costs, expects to boost ridership on the SL, TE, and Coast Starlight, provides more large cities with daytime service. The losers are those who want to take the TE and SL from north of San Antonio to NOL.

Lots of trade-offs, including the very early arrival in LA. Since Amtrak can't move LA 100 miles further west, it gets an awkward arrival time. Have to look at the schedule and see what happens if the westbound SL schedule was moved up 90 minutes for a 7 AM LA arrival.

The SL/TE PIP report proposed a route change in CA to Riverside and Fullerton. What happened to that part?

Swadian Hardcore said:
1331687193[/url]' post='353293']
Shortline said:
1331686491[/url]' post='353291']
Swadian Hardcore said:
1331685180[/url]' post='353286']
Shortline said:
1331684650[/url]' post='353283']
Train2104 said:
Shortline said:
Haave you sat overnight at SAS? I directed the question at people who had expierience with it. Also, you could take the Ambut to KCY, then SWC to CHI, then CONO to NOL. Just saying.
True, I could sleep in a waiting room, change to a bus, or any number of miserable options..... Or, I could fly and be there in 5 hours, with a layover. I guess, Im just frustrated, every time I try and take the train, something always cancels, breaks, reroutes, bustitutes, or simply can't get there from here. I give up. I think maybe we'll fly at least one way, train the other, that way my boy gets his train ride in a sleeper, but we don't blow the whole trip riding 48 hours + for what is a 12 hour drive, or 5 hour flight.

I would never consider sitting overnight in SAS....NEVER, not for any reason whatsoever. Small station, hard seats, lots of movement around.

Now, a station like Little Rock with church pew type seating where I could stretch out could be considered, but SAS?? Not a chance. :angry:

I plead guilty to not having read this entire thread, but can anyone comment on what effect, if any, this could have on the possible resumption of service (ANY service) east of NOLA?

Ocala Mike

I would expect the sleeper passengers will be allowed to stay onboard for a while. Amtrak has plenty of time to turn the equipment around.
Sadly, I would not expect that sleeping car pax will be allowed to stay onboard. They weren't back when the Sunset used to arrive earlier than it currently does. And since under normal Amtrak rules the SCA stops getting paid the second that the engine essentially touches the bumper block I can't imagine that the SCA's will want to hang around to help passengers exit the car after they sleep for another two hours or so.

I plead guilty to not having read this entire thread, but can anyone comment on what effect, if any, this could have on the possible resumption of service (ANY service) east of NOLA?

Ocala Mike
It kills any chance of restoring service to the east using Sunset equipment. Either a new service to the east must be established or Amtrak would have to change the Sunset's schedule back to the old one to operate the consists east of NOL.

I hope someone somewhere is seriously benefiting from all this, because from where I'm standing this is nothing but lose-lose for folks in and around San Antonio. The previous 5:40AM departure was early and the 10PM arrival was late, but not impossibly so. People were still willing to work within those schedules. Now with these 2:45AM departures and 4:50AM arrivals it's beginning to look a lot less workable. I see a big drop off for SAS, but maybe Amtrak is perfectly fine with that. Maybe this really does have more to do with resource management than it does with trying to improve the revenue performance of the Sunset Limited. Maybe Amtrak would be happy to have the Sunset revenue dip so low that they can finally cut it loose?
All I can add is it's about time. Finally some decent times in and out of Houston and good times from Houston to SAS. I don't understand all the bitching as this was the plan all along. They just did it without the daily service change. This also probably kills any idea of restoring service to Florida. This is a NOL to LAX train, not an OKC/FTW to NOL train. When you get your train to Shreveport, just extend it down to NOL. Looks like Houston to NOL is even slower than current schedule. How about a bus connection to Phoenix now. As I read it passengers may occupy the train in LAX until 7am. This schedule change, particularly eastbound is SO overdue. Not since before Katrina. I just hope it's really true.

Sadly, I would not expect that sleeping car pax will be allowed to stay onboard. They weren't back when the Sunset used to arrive earlier than it currently does. And since under normal Amtrak rules the SCA stops getting paid the second that the engine essentially touches the bumper block I can't imagine that the SCA's will want to hang around to help passengers exit the car after they sleep for another two hours or so.
I do believe that some sleeper pax would be allowed to stay onboard, especially if the train arrives on time at 4:45. The PIP stated that they would be able to stay on until 6:30

I do believe that some sleeper pax would be allowed to stay onboard, especially if the train arrives on time at 4:45. The PIP stated that they would be able to stay on until 6:30
It used to say that before too, but never seemed to happen in practice. The only saving grace back then was the fact that the train rarely arrived on time into LA. It was rarely ontime, prior to the huge amounts of padding being added to the schedule. But on the few occasions where it did happen to get there on time, I recall seeing reports of passengers being told to wake up and get off the train upon arrival.

Maybe this time will be different, I don't know. But I do hope you'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath until it is confirmed.

Maybe this time will be different, I don't know. But I do hope you'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath until it is confirmed.
LOL Alan, me too. Sigh. I also think the poster is wrong about a same day turn around in LAX. It's still a three day turn around there. But it does save one set of equipment. I believe they can still run to Orlando if they kept the 4th set in the mix. But that's never going to happen.

LOL Alan, me too. Sigh. I also think the poster is wrong about a same day turn around in LAX. It's still a three day turn around there. But it does save one set of equipment. I believe they can still run to Orlando if they kept the 4th set in the mix. But that's never going to happen.
Ditto for me too on the Staying in the Sleepers till a decent Hour in LAX! As Alan said, the Minute the Train Hits the Bumper @ the Terminal the OBS Crew Go Off the Clock and they Literally RUN from the Train, have seen it Many Times Myself!(Can anyone Blame them, their Union cut a bad deal for OBS!!!) Maybe we could sleep in Union Station with the Street Characters or get Philippe to Open Earlier!!!!! :giggle:

This is great! It's about time this happened. UP made Amtrak change the schedule of the SL in spring of 2005; it was supposed to be "temporary." Now most of the major cities along the route get service at decent times and the connection to the CS is restored. I predict ridership will increase at least 25% by year's end.

You're not kidding about the early arrival time into LA!

We'd better hope the Sunset runs late all the time! 5:35 is way too early for any train arrival at its destination. It makes the last night in the sleepers westbound almost a waste of money, since you'd have to be up by 4:30 assuming the train was on time.

AND according to the posted sked, there's a lot of padding between Pomona and LAUS, about 90 minutes! If the train is running anywhere close to schedule in arriving in Pomona at 4:04 a.m., it will be into LAUS about 4:45 a.m.!!!

THAT'S SO EARLY that you couldn't even walk over to Philippes (or Philippe for the curmudgeons on this forum) for breakfast!!
For people making connections from LAX (or LAX the airport, too), this scheduled arrival is great! Catching early Surfliners, being early for the Starlight, even when 1 is late...it might be a little rough for those in Palm Springs, Ontario, and Pomona, but hopefully those places will have additional options soon (in fact, Palm Desert/Palm Springs/Cabazon now have 2x/day bus connections to Riverside and Fullerton through Amtrak...)

LOTS of people already stay overnight in the station at SAS. Given the new times, I'd say it would be well worth it for a family of 3 or more to book one of the many inexpensive hotels near the station for a nice night's sleep. Under the old schedule, you'd still have spent several hours in the station, but not enough to justify a hotel. Now you might actually get some sleep!

All I can add is it's about time. Finally some decent times in and out of Houston and good times from Houston to SAS. I don't understand all the bitching as this was the plan all along.
You really can't understand why someone wouldn't want to head downtown at 2:00AM? You really can't fathom why people don't want to be kicked off the train at 4:30AM? I can understand why you're happy to have the changes. I just can't understand where you're getting confused about the rest of us being disappointed. Without the daily service angle this is a bad tradeoff with few if any benefits for many of us. Seems simple enough to me.

Wow that's a lot better times for Houston, traveling both ways. But San Antonio definitely got the shaft with this one.

With a long distance train like this, there is always going to be a couple of major cities with crappy departure times.

I agree. If they do this, they should leave the train on the platform until rush hour heats up, or whatever ("sleeping car passengers may occupy their rooms until 7:30a"). The sleeper attendants will have to stay on the cars anyway (there is no way they can make the 40 beds before the early arrival), and a passenger who gets a 4a wake-up call is not going to be happy. Well, _I_ wouldn't be happy, at least.

5:30 AM into LA? Seriously? That's likely to discourage a lot of people. And with the SL's usual earliness into LA...

Yes, done that once. In fact we left our lugagge with the station clerk and walked into town (which is right next to the station). There wasn't very much going on but it was a pleasant experience in a way.

Where's the extra equipment going to go?

I heard that the SL used to have a really late departure eastbound out of LAX. Probably back when it ran with a pair of POOHES. Is this true?
The SL is basically going back to the schedule that it ran on for much of its existence before SP/UP meltdown caused the schedule to be changed.

Even pre-Amtrak 1969 schedule was NOL d 12:01pm, LAX a 6:30am, LAX d 10:00pm, NOL a 8:10pm.

1979 Amtrak schedule was NOL d 1:00pm, LAX a 7:40am, LAX d 10:30pm, NOL a 8:45pm.

In the 1979 schedule SAS was 2:55am to 3:10am westbound and 5:18am to 5:33am eastbound.

One very important thing that this does is it restores connection from the Coast Starlight in LAX in both directions as was historically the case. Indeed I have used that connection at least twice in the 70s and early 80s, and it was really convenient.

I also think the poster is wrong about a same day turn around in LAX. It's still a three day turn around there.
The impression I got from a conversation with the Director of National Operations is that normally it will be a same day turn around at LAX and overnight turn around in NOL. But as usual, with everything, what really happens is the final arbiter in these things. So we will just have to wait and see.

They really do want to release as much equipment as possible so that they can be turning wheels and earning revenue rather than sitting around as hangar queens for half of each week.

In this context, maybe they should reconsider the schedule of the Meteor allowing same day turn around at Sunnyside thus releasing a consist for equipment distribution to other service, even beefing up the Meteor or Star with some additional Coaches, and the LSL with another Sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back