Sunset Limited N.O to S.A

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NativeSon5859

Hello everyone!

In two weeks I'll be taking a trip from New Orleans to San Antonio on the Sunset Limited. Throughout the years, I have been on the Crescent and the City of NO numerous times, but never the Sunset. I am really looking forward to it.

It's just a day trip sort of thing...leaving N.O on August 18th and returning the next day after a 3-hour or so layover in S.A.

I have heard horror stories about the Sunset's lateness, but I'm not too concerned. From what I've heard, #1 usually leaves N.O close to on time. Is this pretty much correct?

Do I have anything to worry about as far as missing my connection back home, and if so, what is the policy regarding refunds, alternate transport, etc?

Thanks a bunch, and I'm looking forward to hitting the rails one more time. It's been tooo long!

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The Sunset usually does leave NOL westbound right on time. Since it isn't too far to San Antonio I wouldn't worry about it being too late. A 3 1/2 hour scheduled layover at San Antonio before your return trip should be fine.

And let's not forget the common theme at Amtrak: when it rains it pours. If the wb train you are on is running seriously late there could be a problem on the line that would cause a similar delay for the eb train, therefore mending the problem. The eb Sunset commonly passes through San Antonio late (sadly).

If all isn't working out (your train seriously late, eb on time) you could always get off a stop early at Houston. However, I wouldn't worry about it. You should have plenty of time to make the connection to the return train at San Antonio. Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back