Summer CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakPDX

Train Attendant
Will be taking the CZ this summer from CHI to EMY.

Last time I did this we were rerouted around the Rockies due to track maintenance. Nice scenery but I'm hoping to see the Rockies this time around.

What are the odds that I'm going to be able to do that?

Thanks,

Sam

Hard to say. UP schedules the work for the summer work season, but the last few years it kept being rescheduled.

One year, I think it was scheduled in June but then was rescheduled for a few weeks later, then later in July, then later, then ... Thus until just before the trip, you can't be sure.

Since we're planning to take the exact same trip in late July, I'm curious: what route does the train use to go around the Rockies? This is the first I've heard of that happening, as we've never been on the CZ before.

Since we're planning to take the exact same trip in late July, I'm curious: what route does the train use to go around the Rockies? This is the first I've heard of that happening, as we've never been on the CZ before.
It detours north from Denver, then through Wyoming on the UP until Salt Lake City where it rejoins the usual CZ route.

When initially planning, I had given no consideration to (and was unaware of) things like rerouting for track work. Thank goodness for AU!

Is the construction time all summer? I was almost ready to book for May but then plans changed. When I finally take the CZ, it will be solely for the scenery and train ride, not to get from point A to B. And, it will involve flights Atlanta to Denver and back from wherever I get off the trains as well as a few hotel nights, so there's some expense involved. I'd be really disappointed if the route was changed.

Are fall and winter better times for the CZ?

Any suggestions for the safest (re no detours, no bustitutions, no long delays, etc.) month for taking the westbound CZ?

I'll probably add the southbound CS to that for the Pacific coast scenery. Is the CS prone to rerouting, etc.? Thanks!

If you do Fall, do it early in the season. I rode the CZ in mid-November (weekend before Thanksgiving) and I didn't get to see as much due to the sun setting earlier (and the train running a couple of hours behind leaving Denver). But I did see a lot of the Rockies. I missed seeing Utah (though I saw the area around Provo/SLC the next few days since I got off in Provo).

When initially planning, I had given no consideration to (and was unaware of) things like rerouting for track work. Thank goodness for AU!

Is the construction time all summer? I was almost ready to book for May but then plans changed. When I finally take the CZ, it will be solely for the scenery and train ride, not to get from point A to B. And, it will involve flights Atlanta to Denver and back from wherever I get off the trains as well as a few hotel nights, so there's some expense involved. I'd be really disappointed if the route was changed.

Are fall and winter better times for the CZ?

Any suggestions for the safest (re no detours, no bustitutions, no long delays, etc.) month for taking the westbound CZ?

I'll probably add the southbound CS to that for the Pacific coast scenery. Is the CS prone to rerouting, etc.? Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken, the track maintenance has typically in the past been during weekdays only. Planning a trip on the CZ that passes through the Rockies on either Saturday or Sunday would increase your odds of avoiding the detour should any track maintenance be scheduled this summer. ;)

FWIW, I'd be delighted to follow the original UP route. Haven;t been on that since the 70s. IIf you decide to ride it, have a copy of Empire Express in hand. The history of that route, the first continental rr, is mindboggling. A testament to the corruption and greed of 19th century America.

"Safest" months for no reroute, bustitution, etc through Colorado on the CZ are probably October and November. As others have said, some summers the UP does track maintenance, at which times the CZ is rerouted through Wyoming. Winter months can, at times, get heavy snow delays (more likely in the Sierra Nevada). Rock slides on the Colorado route between Glenwood Springs and the Moffat Tunnel are most likely in spring months during the snow melt season.

We got the detour last summer due to wildfires. The route leave Denver and goes North towards Cheyenne. You don't actually get to Cheyenne, it turns West before you get to town. Then it goes through Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Evanston, then down to Salt Lake City. Of course, no stops during that time except for maybe a crew change.

While we were disappointed to miss going through the Rockies, the scenery is still quite impressive. Especially when you get to Western Wyoming and into Utah.

We got the detour last summer due to wildfires. The route leave Denver and goes North towards Cheyenne. You don't actually get to Cheyenne, it turns West before you get to town. Then it goes through Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Evanston, then down to Salt Lake City. Of course, no stops during that time except for maybe a crew change.

While we were disappointed to miss going through the Rockies, the scenery is still quite impressive. Especially when you get to Western Wyoming and into Utah.
Just for information, the highest point on any Interstate highway is the rest area halfway between Cheyenne and Laramie.

Wyoming is part of the Rockies.

Are there any of the old Pioneer route stations that could be used for discharge if someone wanted to get off to go to Yellowstone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back