Suites

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I seem to remember hearing something about, back when the train was still the "popular" mode of travel, that people used to be able to buy adjacent sleepers, and take down a partition between them, thereby making a suite out of the 2 rooms. Is this still possible on any amtrak train?

I seem to remember hearing something about, back when the train was still the "popular" mode of travel, that people used to be able to buy adjacent sleepers, and take down a partition between them, thereby making a suite out of the 2 rooms. Is this still possible on any amtrak train?
Yes.

You need to call Amtrak (or Amtrak Guest Rewards if using points). The "price" is twice the cost of a bedroom (in dollars or points). You are buying two bedrooms. You can't do this with a roomette.

In reality, there is a sliding door between the sleepers, unlocked by onboard staff. I had the chance to see this in action once, and it does make a very very roomy space - if the price is right.

I found this 3D VIEW where you can see the sliding door behind the toilet door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for reference;

In Viewliner service only bedrooms A & B can open to a suite and in Superliner service you can connect B & C and D & E with the latter being the most desirable.

The only way to do it is make sure you book one of those bedroom pairs. Then when you get on board, hope that your sleeper attendant is will to try and open it (I suspect most are). Then you have to hope the door will actually open.

Can anyone compare the bedroom suites on a Viewliner and Superliner? The Amtrak website has a picture of Viewliner bedrooms ensuite which appears to create a very big, open space. The partition between the rooms seems to disappear almost completely, with perhaps a 3-inch "intrusion" into the room. Can the folding chairs still be used in this configuration, or do they have to be folded up to move between bedrooms?

I haven't seen a picture of Superliner bedrooms ensuite, but it looks as if there is more like 10 to 12 inches of partition left against the outer wall when the door between the rooms is open. Does this impact how "open" the bedroom suite feels? I'm just wondering if it seems more like one big space or two rooms with an open door between them.

Can anyone compare the bedroom suites on a Viewliner and Superliner? The Amtrak website has a picture of Viewliner bedrooms ensuite which appears to create a very big, open space. The partition between the rooms seems to disappear almost completely, with perhaps a 3-inch "intrusion" into the room. Can the folding chairs still be used in this configuration, or do they have to be folded up to move between bedrooms?
I haven't seen a picture of Superliner bedrooms ensuite, but it looks as if there is more like 10 to 12 inches of partition left against the outer wall when the door between the rooms is open. Does this impact how "open" the bedroom suite feels? I'm just wondering if it seems more like one big space or two rooms with an open door between them.
The partition slides into the wall between the bathrooms. The wall between the folding chairs is not part of the moving partition and remains in place. So basically, the space between the folding chair and the bathroom is opened.

I have never been in a Viewliner bedroom, but I am pretty sure it is the same as the Superliner.

Pretty open. It is something like 3 feet. It is the entire length of the space between the outer wall and the bathroom (at least in Superliners).

Pretty open. It is something like 3 feet. It is the entire length of the space between the outer wall and the bathroom (at least in Superliners).
It does not open all the way from the outer wall. It opens to about half the width of the folding chair.

Here is a pic from the Superliner from 4 years ago...

img-1205-thumb.jpg

In reality, there is a sliding door between the sleepers, unlocked by onboard staff. I had the chance to see this in action once, and it does make a very very roomy space - if the price is right.

I found this 3D VIEW where you can see the sliding door behind the toilet door.
In one case the price was totally right for me. Weather had caused Amtrak to cancel a major portion of the route starting at my detraining point, so my car was almost totally empty and I was able to secure an adjacent sleeper with the pocket door opened at nominal cost.

Yes we do this all the time, with the family. It makes for a nice "space" and though still small when compared to virtually anything else, the "feel" of roominess is huge. If traveling with four adults, DEF the way to go. Open during the day, and closed, or maybe not, depending upon how close you are to those you are sharing the space with. (or snoring)

Makes you feel like KING though. Do it if you can.

Yes we do this all the time, with the family. It makes for a nice "space" and though still small when compared to virtually anything else, the "feel" of roominess is huge. If traveling with four adults, DEF the way to go. Open during the day, and closed, or maybe not, depending upon how close you are to those you are sharing the space with. (or snoring)
Makes you feel like KING though. Do it if you can.
Obviously you can close (and if wanted, have the SCA lock) the door at bedtime.

It does not open all the way from the outer wall. It opens to about half the width of the folding chair.

I think this may differ between the Superliner I and II. I seem to recall on the S-II there not being such a partition between the folding chairs. Anyone able to confirm this?

Guess I answered my own question. As you can see here, the "partition" behind the folding seat seems to be a bit narrower on the S-II.
http://tour.amtraktrains.com/s.php?n=bedroom
Perhaps a bit, but it does not look to be that much. Looks like more of a metal trim in the II, but if you look at where the actual gap is where the door opens it still comes to just about half the width of the folding chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back