Suggestion for a Day Trip from NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen G

Train Attendant
I've been looking into taking a short (round trip) in October to view the fall foliage! I would like a short lay over in one of the towns along the hudson to stop for lunch before returning to NYP.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would need a location close to the station that we could walk to comfortably. A 10 - 15 minute walk would be fine. I also don't only want to be on the train for an hour! A 3 to 4 hour ride would be ideal. I was thinking:

Rennsselaer, NY

Schenectady, NY

Saratoga Springs, NY

Fort Edward-Glens Falls, NY

Thanks in advance!

Jen G

Wow. There are a lot of choices here. There are often good discounts on these routes that you can look for by going to Amtrak -> Deals -> Smartfares. You book on Tues-Fri to travel on a Mon-Thurs & Sat for the following three weeks. The Empire Builder, Ethan Allen Express and other routes to Upstate New York are often discounted.

Also, be careful if you choose Rennsselaer. The Amtrak station is Albany-Rennsselaer. Just booking to Rennsselaer will take you to Indiana.

Maybe consider going to Saratoga Springs and then taking the Saratoga and North Creek Railroad further off the beaten path. This may require an overnight stay, though. Check out www.sncrr.com for more details.

Sounds like you have a fun day planned, and I'm jealous. :D

I grew up in that area, and FED and SAR do not have anywhere near the station for a meal. If you go as proposed, you will just have the Hudson River colors, while good you would miss the best colors!

Personally, I would continue on the Adirondack to PLB and stay overnight. From Whitehall north, it travels along the shore of Lake Champlain where you can view both NYS and Vermont!
cool.gif
And as an added bonus, they operate the dome car "Ocean View" north or ALB during Sept and Oct! Northbound it runs on Thur, Sat and Mon. Southbound it runs on Fri, Sun and Tues.

Maybe consider going to Saratoga Springs and then taking the Saratoga and North Creek Railroad further off the beaten path. This may require an overnight stay, though. Check out www.sncrr.com for more details.
This trip can be done on Sunday's only without an overnight being needed. It is a long day, but it is a very nice trip. You would board the Adirondack out of NYP early in the morning and ride to Saratoga Springs. You head right into the station to pick up your SNCRR tickets and then right back out to board that train. Upon arrival in North Creek, you'd have about an hour to walk around the town, shop, eat, whatever. They even provide a map with your tickets.

If you opt to ride in the dome car, which has an additional charge, then you can have lunch going to North Creek and dinner coming back. Then you catch the Ethan Allen home to NYP at Saratoga Springs.

If you want foliage and charm, I might also suggest Hudson, NY. Two hours from NYP and a fairly short uphill walk to antiques, restaurants, etc. plus a great local park for river views. You also have a lot more choices for trains. But, for some two hours may be too short a ride...

Does anyone know if there are taxi's at the SAR station? I think we'd like to check out Saratoga!

Gives us a nice (almost) 4 hour train ride on the Adirondack, 3.5 hours (give or take) to explore SAR and then back on the Ethan Allen.

There seems to be a lot to see and do in town!

Thanks alll!

Jen G

I don't know how far the station is, but I have always liked downtown Saratoga, plenty to see in and around the park. Don't know if you"ll get to see much foliage, but it's a nice day trip! A few years go my wife had a conference there so I just wandered around, and enjoyed the area and never was bored.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are usually taxis right outside the station waiting, especially when trains are arriving. I've been to the station a couple of times over the years since they built the new, modern station and there are always taxis. And I think that there is even a hot line that connects right to the cab company just in case there isn't one.

Thank you everyone for all the great info!

We will be taking the Adirondack from NYP to SAR and taking a quick 5 minute taxi ride to Congress Park to check out the mineral springs. Then we'll find a place for lunch! I've looked up a few restaurants around the park and they all seem to have good reviews!

I think I'll post my first ever trip report on this in October!! Be on the look out! Thanks again!

Jen G

Don't miss the museum in the park. It's a small entrance fee but worth it.

If you happen to book a northbound Adirondack on Thursday, Saturday, or Monday between September 13 and October 20 (or a southbound Adirondack the following day), you'll get a chance to ride in Amtrak's dome car north of Albany. That's an excellent way to view the fall foliage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back