Student Advantage discount dropping to 10%

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True, but as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, seniors are a very powerful constituency for Amtrak from both a ridership and a political standpoint. And since seniors are the most likely to be impacted by a call center booking fee, I suspect it will be awhile before a general call center booking fee will be applied.
Are you saying that people of a certain age don't know how to use computers? Ouch! :)

True, but as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, seniors are a very powerful constituency for Amtrak from both a ridership and a political standpoint. And since seniors are the most likely to be impacted by a call center booking fee, I suspect it will be awhile before a general call center booking fee will be applied.
Are you saying that people of a certain age don't know how to use computers? Ouch! :)
I feel so, so......young. :D

AAA is a decent bargain too. It's around $50/year (last I checked). The discounts you get more than make up for that, especially if you travel frequently.
Don't ever give your money to AAA. One of their main things as a lobbying organization, which is what they are, is to lobby against public transit.
they are the american automobile association after all. they are an insurance company(aaa membership includes towing, locksmith is you lock your keys in your car, delivery of a gallon of gas if you run out, road maps and so forth). we have frequently taken advantage of the 10% amtrak and other discounts which more than pays our yearly membership fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether you think it pays or not, you are giving money to an anti rail lobbying agency. Yes it's a good value for services. Yes it provides a lot of things. I understand.

But it's an anti rail lobbying organization. I don't ask you to drop your membership. Just acknowledge you give money to an anti rail lobbying organization.

I am interested, then, how does their relationship with Amtrak work? Is - and if there is, how much and which way - money being exchanged as part of the deal to give AAA members 10% off?

Whether you think it pays or not, you are giving money to an anti rail lobbying agency. Yes it's a good value for services. Yes it provides a lot of things. I understand.

But it's an anti rail lobbying organization. I don't ask you to drop your membership. Just acknowledge you give money to an anti rail lobbying organization.
Amtrak promos AAA on their home page. Maybe Amtrak is anti-rail also?

aaa promotes all forms of travel(especially if they get a cut). the magazine for the pacific northwest region they send out encourages travel by foot, bike, boat,rail, plane and car. as a matter of fact, our first amtrak journey, seattle to vancouver on the then new talgos, was taken because of an article in their publication and using a special discount aaa offered

Bolding mine.

Don't ever give your money to AAA. One of their main things as a lobbying organization, which is what they are, is to lobby against public transit.

I don't ask you to drop your membership. Just acknowledge you give money to an anti rail lobbying organization.
In summary, don't give them any money but feel free to be a member! :p

FWIW - you can no longer use the QuikTrak to buy anything discounted other than AAA or Veteran's advantage. ISIC, Student Advantage, Senior Discount - all of that is gone from the QuikTraks. Honestly, that's a **** move, clearly designed at discouraging using those discounts.

At least this is my experience from today at LNC. Went to buy a ticket and hit the usual "Membership discount program" and only got AAA and Veteran's Advantage as options.

FWIW - you can no longer use the QuikTrak to buy anything discounted other than AAA or Veteran's advantage. ISIC, Student Advantage, Senior Discount - all of that is gone from the QuikTraks. Honestly, that's a **** move, clearly designed at discouraging using those discounts.

At least this is my experience from today at LNC. Went to buy a ticket and hit the usual "Membership discount program" and only got AAA and Veteran's Advantage as options.
I wonder why AAA was still available. That's very strange to me.

That being said, I'd imagine most Quik-Trak activity is for a train arriving soon and so would be ineligible for most discounts anyways. That being said, it really should be an all-or-nothing thing...either have them all there or none of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back