Student Advantage discount dropping to 10%

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seniors are, at this point, more likely to have disposable income than 20-somethings (yes, this economic situation is horrible) so I can't really say I see a justification for a senior discount!

Seniors are, at this point, more likely to have disposable income than 20-somethings (yes, this economic situation is horrible) so I can't really say I see a justification for a senior discount!
It's called politics.

Watch it! Remember, you too will become one.

Senior discounts are one of the fairest - everyone (or almost) is going to become one. It's inevitable.

And not all of us are loaded with money. Worse, what we have has to last us the rest of our lives or we come live with you young 'uns. And when we go, guess who gets our money.

Send me your name. I'm writing you out of my will.

Watch it! Remember, you too will become one.

Senior discounts are one of the fairest - everyone (or almost) is going to become one. It's inevitable.

And not all of us are loaded with money. Worse, what we have has to last us the rest of our lives or we come live with you young 'uns. And when we go, guess who gets our money.

And while you're at it, get off his lawn!

I first got just AAA membership and had to pay like $65 for it. After few months I got my car insurance moved to AAA. Next year my membership got renewed at $0, just paying the usual monthly installments for the car insurance that was negotiated at the start.
This might be where I got confused. I had AAA for several years.
Also, the various regional AAA member clubs may have slightly different policies/rules from each other.

I first got just AAA membership and had to pay like $65 for it. After few months I got my car insurance moved to AAA. Next year my membership got renewed at $0, just paying the usual monthly installments for the car insurance that was negotiated at the start.
This might be where I got confused. I had AAA for several years.
Also, the various regional AAA member clubs may have slightly different policies/rules from each other.
Excellent point. When I checked on the fees/terms, it automatically redirected me to AAA Michigan. (Oh noes! My browser knows where I live!)

Worse, what we have has to last us the rest of our lives
If you're senior but not disabled, you can keep working, you know. Many people do.

If you die before you turn 65, on the other hand...

I kind of think there should be a discount for unemployed people, actually...

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Worse, what we have has to last us the rest of our lives
If you're senior but not disabled, you can keep working, you know. Many people do.

If you die before you turn 65, on the other hand...

I kind of think there should be a discount for unemployed people, actually...

:)
Actually, if your are a senior, and are disabled, good odds you can keep on working regardless. There's lots of "programs" out there to help.

Discount for unemployed seems to make sense. At first glance.

Really, the discounts are a marketing tool - and neither you nor I know the net revenue or other benefits to Amtrak of any of the discount programs -- the known unknown.

One might argue senior discounts should remain in place because seniors (at least Americans) have been paying for part of Amtrak ^most of their entire ^working lives.

As for SA I let my card expire. I don't like "paying" for discounts. The only advantage is their policies for what qualifies as a "student" are so law you can enroll in the program for over a decade if you're in school for more than four years.

It would make more sense to offer the discount to anybody with a valid student ID, at least from the student's perspective. From the corporate perspective it is better to have students "validate" themselves by paying subscription fees to a third-party. I would also surmise Amtrak gets some additional marketing info on SA members if they use their discounts on other things in the program. Does anybody know if Amtrak gets some of the subscription fee from SA? SA is a CBORD Group company (which in-turn is owned by Roper Industries) and they seem to specialize in data and marketing "solutions". I hardly think they're making money on subscriptions alone, they're probably selling their client's data.

Also in reference to Jim's comment; is this a Mica-backed issue? I understand the environment of budget cuts but is there the possibility this is an unrelated issue? Perhaps this is a change coming from the SA side of things...

One might argue senior discounts should remain in place because seniors (at least Americans) have been paying for part of Amtrak their entire lives.
Only people born in the last forty odd years have been subsidizing Amtrak their entire lives, which could include just about anyone except seniors.

One might argue senior discounts should remain in place because seniors (at least Americans) have been paying for part of Amtrak their entire lives.
Only people born in the last forty odd years have been subsidizing Amtrak their entire lives, which could include just about anyone except seniors.
Obviously the phrase "entire lives" is hyperbole since most infants/grade schoolers do not pay federal income tax.

But someone who entered the workforce in 1971 would likely be in the senior bracket now, so it would be fair to say that some seniors

have been subsidizing Amtrak their entire working lives.

I have zero issues with offering discounts to seniors. Many are living on a fixed income. To that end, I think it's appropriate that the student discount is brought down to the other discount levels. Since one has to pay for the student discount program, though, I imagine many students will figure out other ways to save money (NARP, AAA, 20% off sales, etc).

As a senior who will be entitled to the "senior discount" in about three weeks, I certainly would not put up a big stink over the loss of the discount. Since we are AAA members and receive a 10% discount because of the membership dues we pay to that organization, the extra 5% is not a big factor in determining whether we will ride Amtrak.

The Guest Rewards program is a much more significant factor in our travels since we often travel using points to avoid the high cost of accommodations on the train. If that program is revised, or eliminated then we would definitely be taking fewer trips and spending less money on train travel to reach those point goals.

Seniors turn out to vote in disproportionate numbers. Something the Gen X slackers should keep in mind.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

AAA is a decent bargain too. It's around $50/year (last I checked). The discounts you get more than make up for that, especially if you travel frequently.
Don't ever give your money to AAA. One of their main things as a lobbying organization, which is what they are, is to lobby against public transit.

FWIW this is their service info with something interesting too:

Changes will be made to the Student Advantage (SA) and International Student Identity Card (ISIC) discount membership programs. The rail fare discount for SA and ISIC cardholders will change from 15 percent to 10 percent. This change matches the membership discount for American Automobile Association (AAA) and National Association of Railroad Passengers (NARP), which is already 10 percent.

The requirement to book at least three days before travel remains in effect. Reservations made April 1, 2014, or earlier will be priced at the 15 percent discount level. However, if the passenger makes changes to such reservations on April 2 or after, the reservation will then be priced at the 10 percent discount level. The student discount for Amtrak Express Shipments will also change from 15 percent to 10 percent

Effective July 7, 2014, the SA and ISIC discounts may only be booked online at Amtrak.com and through mobile apps. At that time, the SA and ISIC discounts will no longer be available to book by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL or at an Amtrak ticket office.
I wonder why... not even through QuikTrak machines? Annoying.

Effective July 7, 2014, the SA and ISIC discounts may only be booked online at Amtrak.com and through mobile apps. At that time, the SA and ISIC discounts will no longer be available to book by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL or at an Amtrak ticket office.

If I were to guess, I'd say bean counter logic- if you make it difficult for them to avail the discount, maybe they will stop asking for it and instead pay full fare.. more revenue!

Amtrak's quarter-century-old (or more) Arrow reservation system has it's limitations. BUT also has benefits for Amtrak -- serves an excuse for various "can't do --"

Me, senior and NARP. Daughter NARP and military. Neither AAA nor SA nor ISIC.

Mostly don't worry the discounts, when it makes sense to take the train +- 10% no biggie.

When flying or the Dog or Megabus is better (timewise or costwise) -- the 10% rarely affects decision.

FWIW this is their service info with something interesting too:

Changes will be made to the Student Advantage (SA) and International Student Identity Card (ISIC) discount membership programs. The rail fare discount for SA and ISIC cardholders will change from 15 percent to 10 percent. This change matches the membership discount for American Automobile Association (AAA) and National Association of Railroad Passengers (NARP), which is already 10 percent.

The requirement to book at least three days before travel remains in effect. Reservations made April 1, 2014, or earlier will be priced at the 15 percent discount level. However, if the passenger makes changes to such reservations on April 2 or after, the reservation will then be priced at the 10 percent discount level. The student discount for Amtrak Express Shipments will also change from 15 percent to 10 percent

I don't know, but I suspect that most tickets sold through QuikTrak machines are for same-day travel anyhow.

Interesting change with the booking on Amtrak.com requirement. This may be the first step toward Amtrak charging a booking fee for phone reservations. There is a well-hidden statement in the current system timetable (describing the ways to make reservations) that states the following:

Planning your journey, Reservations, 3rd bullet (top left Page 136):

Contact center agents: available by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL, are also available 24 hours a day. They can make any kind of reservation, accept payment by credit card, give you complete information about services, amenities and features, assist you with any special needs, and refer you to our partners for hotel and rental car reservations. A fee may apply to bookings made through a contact center agent, if the booking could have been made through a self-service channel (Amtrak.com, Julie, or Quik-Trak).
Someone put that in there for a reason (and it's been there for several timetable editions). This new requirement for SA reservations suggests the phone booking fee may be coming sooner rather than later. It's been standard with most airlines for years.

Interesting change with the booking on Amtrak.com requirement. This may be the first step toward Amtrak charging a booking fee for phone reservations. There is a well-hidden statement in the current system timetable (describing the ways to make reservations) that states the following:

Contact center agents: available by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL, are also available 24 hours a day. They can make any kind of reservation, accept payment by credit card, give you complete information about services, amenities and features, assist you with any special needs, and refer you to our partners for hotel and rental car reservations. A fee may apply to bookings made through a contact center agent, if the booking could have been made through a self-service channel (Amtrak.com, Julie, or Quik-Trak).
Someone put that in there for a reason (and it's been there for several timetable editions). This new requirement for SA reservations suggests the phone booking fee may be coming sooner rather than later. It's been standard with most airlines for years.
True, but as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, seniors are a very powerful constituency for Amtrak from both a ridership and a political standpoint. And since seniors are the most likely to be impacted by a call center booking fee, I suspect it will be awhile before a general call center booking fee will be applied.

True, but as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, seniors are a very powerful constituency for Amtrak from both a ridership and a political standpoint. And since seniors are the most likely to be impacted by a call center booking fee, I suspect it will be awhile before a general call center booking fee will be applied.
Seniors couldn't stop (or even reduce) the airline booking fees, or a whole host of other travel fees, so I'm not sure what gives them more power (or concern) over Amtrak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back