Strasburg Mini Gathering?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which day(s) are you available?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Court Jester
As mentioned in this thread, the Amtrak Anniversary train will be at Strasburg for the two weekends above. If you're interested in meeting up with fellow AUers, vote for whichever days you're able to attend (you can answer multiple days in the first question). The second question asks to pick a specific date that you would prefer (you can select only one) to act as sort of a tiebreaker if there isn't a clear winner from the first question.

I'm available all 4 days, but would prefer the 19th (Amy works on Saturdays, and I know that she'd like to come along).

Info on the Rail Museum:

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/

What is the Anniversary Train?

We will be returning from Charlottesville, VA on June 18 and are planning to spend the night

near Harrisburg, PA before returning home on the 19th. We will be driving (will have the dog

with us), so I should be able to get to Strasburg on the 19th.

I'd appreciate any info.

Keep in mind that there will probably be about 8 million small children out there to see the Thomas engine those weekends as well.

I've been meaning to get up to Strasburg for a while now. I went once or twice as a kid, and have fond memories.

At the moment, I'm free all 4 dates. Whichever date gets picked, I'll try and attend.

There is the Red Caboose Motel next to the railroad.

We stayed there when our children were young and had

a delightful time.

Where is Strasburg and is there a train station there or nearby?

Where is Strasburg and is there a train station there or nearby?
Not too far from Lancaster (LNC), PA. It's about 8 miles from Strasburg. The Strasburg Railroad is a great tourist line.

When I last visited (too many years ago), I took a Keystone train from NY Penn, picked up a rental car in Lancaster, and was in Strasburg in no time. If you go, be sure to stop at The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, which is across the street. Also visit the local Amish farms.

HTH

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm supposed to get "incapacity leave" beginning the middle of May, so any day will work for me. We go to Strasburg about every other year and never lose interest in it.

Whichever weekend we decide to gather, I will probably make it a weekend trip to the Pennsylvania Dutch Country going out on either Friday evening or Saturday morning and coming back Sunday evening. I will drive down from the Newark NJ area (specifically Short Hills NJ) and back, so if someone needs a ride I am happy to give one.

I'm available all four days also! Like I said in the other thread I live about an hour and a half away. Maybe we could head over to Shady Maple for lunch or dinner for those who desire a good Amish meal! Shady Maple is about 45 minutes to a Hour away IIRC. But it's a great place to eat!

I'm available all four days also! Like I said in the other thread I live about an hour and a half away. Maybe we could head over to Shady Maple for lunch or dinner for those who desire a good Amish meal! Shady Maple is about 45 minutes to a Hour away IIRC. But it's a great place to eat!
I used to go to Miller's Smorgasbord--is that still in business?

According to google it is.. Open from 730am to 8PM daily. But nothing beats Shady Maple! :cool:

Yes, Miller's is going strong!! We were there last November.

They have changed their menu options and offer options other than

the normal complete dinner buffet. The variety and quality of the

food has not changed - still excellent.

Just returned from Lancaster and York, PA today. Lodged in Lancaster and went to York PA for the large TCA train show for O gauge model trains (not real trains). I might be in the area again on June 25th but if Thomas is also running that day, I'll probably pass. I'll be driving a classic car to the classic GM at Carlisle car show on the 25th and don't like taking it in to crowded areas.

Getting back to BuzzKillington's post, I looked on Strasburg's website and the whole week that the train is in Strasburg the Thomas engine will be running. :eek:hboy: So let's hope that the train will be at the Railroaders museum! Doubt it but you never know! Let's all try to agree on one date. Doesn't matter to me.

Help me, I'm getting Thomas the Tank Engine flashbacks...the song...won't stop....Ringo....George.....Alec.....gaaaaaaaaaa.... :blink:

The Caboose Motel is pretty cool though. We always ate at either the Good And Plenty or the Plain and Fancy. Stoltzfus Retaurant is nice too, more like eating on a farm, it's family style rather than buffet.

They're Mennonites so they have cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also stopped for lighter fare sometimes at the Gap Diner, a pretty good one on the road home.

Just returned from Lancaster and York, PA today. Lodged in Lancaster and went to York PA for the large TCA train show for O gauge model trains (not real trains). I might be in the area again on June 25th but if Thomas is also running that day, I'll probably pass. I'll be driving a classic car to the classic GM at Carlisle car show on the 25th and don't like taking it in to crowded areas.
You got my curiousity....what car will you be taking to the show?

Red Roof Inn, formerly MacIntosh, is on Route 30 and the best buy if you can tolerate wear and tear on plumbing, the drawers, the beds, etc.

But as for the consist staying there all week, I don't interpret it that way, it seems to me that it will be two weekends, otherwise the days in between would have been posted as well. Maybe someone who works in Amtrak or Strasburg can clarify?

Also, I'm guessing they joined the Thomas thing in with this for two reasons: kids are going to be the compass holders of future policy decisions, and with the starvation of new blood in the present U.S. rail manufacturing this is a wise idea. Secondly, Strasburg, though still dearly loved, has taken its hit from the economy woes, so bringing two events together like this, if they can pull it off and I know they can and will, shall be parallel to the Holy Resurrection.

But as for the consist staying there all week, I don't interpret it that way, it seems to me that it will be two weekends, otherwise the days in between would have been posted as well. Maybe someone who works in Amtrak or Strasburg can clarify?
The schedule that I listed above shows 18-26 June...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back