Stranded in Chicago overnight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAVYBLUE

Lead Service Attendant
Waiting for update but it appears we on Zephyr will not make Chicago today for Capitol Limited or Galesburg for bustitution to South Bend as we are 7+ behind.

AGR said they will allow cancellation of CHI-WAS portion of my trip with no points penalty.

Arrive around 10 PM local and need transportation option to Midway Airport north of downtown to catch 6:40 AM Southwest flight tomorrow to BWI.

Any transportation options other than Blue Orange Red line to airport would be appreciated from fellow AUers. Thank you in advance for any help.

NAVYBLUE

It's going to be very, very cold tomorrow in Chicago. Take easiest option, taxi, Uber or Lyft. There should be van or bus services from the bigger hotels.

If you really want to take the CTA, the Orange Line goes to Midway. If your hotel is on the North Side you''ll have to transfer in the Loop from Brown or Red line or bus.

I would still take the orange line to midway based on snow and weather. I paid an Uber surge to get home last night.

Airport-wise, I know that TSA does close at ord and reopens at 4am. Website answers reports MDW TSA is open from 0400-2300. I dont know if the government would let you through TSA at 2250 with a ticket for a next day flight.

Check out the metropolitan lounge hours as well, if you get to CHI early enough might be useful to use the shower there before proceeding to midway

Orange line runs till midnight-0100ish, Blue and Red run 24 hours.

If you need an elevator go east on Jackson about 6 blocks then turn left on Dearborn to the Jackson station. The station is on the east side of Dearborn

Thanks everyone. With 2 suitcases and one full size backpack won't be hoofing it in the snow and up steps for 2-3 blocks looks like taxi or Uber to O'hare.

Last option to consider is a taxi ride to clark/lake cta stop. It's a blue/orange (and pink, green, brown and purple) stop and can get you to MDW or ORD. I live nearby and have done it before. Take the silver elevator by track 18 to the street, 2nd brown door out to the cab stand on jackson (other cabstand/main entracne is canal), cab fare to there is about $5.00, and cta is $2.50/pp from there. Has elevators and escalators, etc etc etc.

Uber is around $20-50

Cabs to ohare are $35-75.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone. With 2 suitcases and one full size backpack won't be hoofing it in the snow and up steps for 2-3 blocks looks like taxi or Uber to O'hare.
For others who might want to try it, Union Station is about level with Clinton Street and the stairs to the subway would be down, not up.

If it were me (I'm not usually in a hurry), I would take Amtrak's offer of lodging, meals, and taxi and then the next days train.

Well, it's several weeks late, but the 151 bus does take one right from Union Station to the Blue Line at Jackson, Monroe, or Washington (where there is another elevator.) It's my usual route. Not sure why more people don't recommend it, instead of the hoofing to Clinton. Costs the same $2.25 (even with the transfer) as boarding directly at Clinton and makes life a lot easier.

Looks like you guys are on AA or SW. If you re traveling on United, to anyplace in the PNW or SE, double check first, we are canceling flights and seeing loads of delays.

Back