Stopovers/Layovers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chezndave

Train Attendant
Hi All,

The first of my many questions.

Whilst looking at planning our trip on the California Zephyr (one of a few we are doing next year) we decided we would like to stop for a couple of days in Glenwood Springs. My question is, does Amtrak like Canada Rail offer a complementry stopover, checking the cost it nearly doubles the fare by stopping over.

regards

I don't have experience with Amtrak's Rail Passes, but, if you haven't already, you may want to look into them. Others here have used them, so they will be able to answer any questions you may have about them.

I travel exclusively by rail pass, that way as long as I complete my travel (up to 8 segments) within the 15 days from when I begin it, the pass allows it. I have gone WOR-PDX via the LSL-CZ-CS stayed a day, PDX to EUG on the Cascade, stayed 3 days then traveled the long way home on the CS/TE/LSL, all within the 15 days.

Amtrak operates differently from VIA inasmuch as there are no complementary stopovers. A couple of years ago, I traveled from Chicago to Denver, stopped over, then from Denver to Sacramento. Although the fare was more breaking up the trip, I do not believe it was anywhere near double. I was traveling in a bedroom.

I am not referring to a rail pass. I apologize if your question pertained to a rail pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly correcting Penny's reply, Amtrak does allow complimentary stopovers - but ONLY if you depart less than 23 hours 30 minutes from your arrival. But since on this route the next train does not depart until 24 hours+, it can not be done. On routes that have 2 or more trains per day, it can be done if you continue in the same direction. But the California Zephyr only operates one train daily.

If the fare appears to double when booked as two segments, it is actually because of buckets (high fare due to high demand on one or both of your specific dates).

Sometimes the fare can be much lower if you choose a different station, e.g. if someone can drop you off at Grand Junction on the 2nd leg. (Grand Junction is a more major stop, and if some sleeper passengers booked on that day's train are getting off there, Amtrak is likely to offer lower fares from there.)

If the fare appears to double when booked as two segments, it is actually because of buckets (high fare due to high demand on one or both of your specific dates).

Sometimes the fare can be much lower if you choose a different station, e.g. if someone can drop you off at Grand Junction on the 2nd leg. (Grand Junction is a more major stop, and if some sleeper passengers booked on that day's train are getting off there, Amtrak is likely to offer lower fares from there.)
 Sorry, I assumed a westbound trip. If eastbound, check the fare for getting off at Grand Junction.

Hi All,

thanks for the replies, we are going westbound. We have looked at the rail pass and the only problem is that we will be in the states for nearly a month and only doing about 8 segments (so far) with some stopovers and not sure we would get our monies worth with a 21 day pass, but you never know we may end up doing more.

chez

I have lots of experience with Rail Passes. If you travel only in coach and want to make stopovers the pass will save money. You may want to buy a 30 day/12 segment pass even if you are not going to be using it for the full 30 days. Add up the individual fares and compare with the cost of the rail pass.

eg: In December my wife and I will be traveling from Chemult OR to Burlington Iowa returning to Chemult more than 15 days later. The fare with my 15% senior and wife 10% AAA discounts is less than 2 USA 30 day passes so I paid the fare instead of buying rail passes.

My first rail trip was on a North America Railpass in 2001. On that trip, I even made it to Churchill Manitoba. Sadly the North America Rail Pass is no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back