Steaming Hot Freshly Made Pizza Delivered to the Ca Zephyr in Route -

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TFR

I recently completed my first LD round trip in coach from Martinez, CA to Pittsburgh, PA via Chicago on the California Zephyr and the Capitol Limited. What a fantastic journey it was! The train left the Martinez station on time on a Friday morning around 10:00 am and returned an hour early 11 days later. My wife and I typically have pizza on Friday or Saturday night, so I set out with the help of my Mission Impossible ground team to try and have hot fresh pizza delivered to the EB Zephyr in route to give me some semblance of a normal routine. Seeing that the schedule indicated we were to make a stop in Denver at 6:38 pm on Saturday evening for a 32 minute stop, I thought that was the best opportunity to try and have pizza delivered directly to the Zephyr.

My ground team were my brothers, one in California and one Pittsburgh. They worked on their computers and cell phones to map out a plan to make my desire to have fresh hot pizza for Saturday night dinner a reality. With my limited and intermittent cell phone reception they researched what pizza places were close to the Denver Amtrak station and which one would be willing to coordinate their delivery to the train platform/station based on the actual arrival time of the Zephyr.

Finally when the Zephyr cleared the continental divide and we could see Denver in the far off distance I had good cell reception and the ground crew was able to conference me into the conversation they were having with AJ, the manager on duty at Anthony's Pizza and Pasta a few blocks from the Denver Amtrak station. AJ assured me that he would coordinate the delivery of the pizza with the actual arrival of the Zephyr.

The operation planning occurred over the course of the day and it got other passengers interested in having pizza also, so by the time I was placing the order with AJ, my order for one pizza turned into an order for five pizzas and one chicken salad. We were all skeptical as to whether the pizza delivery would actually happen or not. Would AJ think it is just a prank call? Would our pizza actually be delivered before the train left the station?

As we pull into the Denver station everyone that ordered something is looking for the pizza delivery guy. Some of us get off the train and walk across the street to the temporary station to look for him. The minutes are ticking by and everyone is starting to get a little worried. I decided to call AJ and ask where the delivery guy was. AJ said that the pizza would be delivered in 10 or 15 minutes…..not to worry. I told AJ that in 10 minutes we would be headed to Omaha and that we need to have the pizza delivered NOW! Hearing that he agreed to bring it right over himself. Sure enough, 3 or 4 minutes later he pulls up behind the row of taxi cabs in front of the Amtrak station and we make the hand-off….. the pizzas and the salad in ours and the cash in his. He had transported the pizzas in a insulated bag so they were steaming hot, plus he had a bag with paper plates, containers of hot pepper and Parmesan cheese, salad dressing, forks and knives and napkins.

We get back on the train and the whistle blows a few minutes later and we are heated towards Omaha with everyone enjoying their pizza and salad. Many of the other passengers were wanting to know how and where we got the pizza. Not a piece went to waste as some of us shared with other hungry passengers. Everyone commented on how good it was!

I told AJ when I was ordering the pizzas, that I would post his name and phone number on this forum if he made the delivery happen and the pizza was good and was hot. He came through, so for any other travelers that might want hot freshly made pizza delivered to the EB Zephyr in Denver here is AJ's contact information. Anthony's Pizza and Pasta, phone number 303-623-0805. Give him a call when you clear the continental divide to place your order and tell him the trains expected arrival time. Then give him a call when the train is pulling into the station so the delivery can be coordinated.

TFR

Note: I have no affiliation in any way with AJ or Anthony's Pizza and Pasta. I just enjoyed their pizza and I thought others might want to try it also. I'm giving Anthony's Pizza & Pasta a 5 star review (five being the best!) for quality and service.

http://www.anthonyspizzaandpasta.com/

Anthony's Pizza & Pasta

1780 16th Street

Denver, CO 80202

Phone 303-623-0805

That is so
cool.gif

Great story. We had a discussion a while back about this and it is great to hear that it actually worked.

Now to get Chineese food delivered to the train may be a little more difficult.

Great story and idea! For me we need a couple quarts some classic beers, lager, or ales, hey: maybe even a Bavarian monster stein for Oktoberfest in a Superliner lounge! Paradise on rails!

As a p.s., during Halloween week I would be willing to serve this pizza cuisine in the lounge in costume for free! If i could get only a week off to go cross country and back...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so surprised you pulled that off! I hope you tipped him really well. :)

I'd post a good review on places like Yelp and Urbanspoon too. A lot of people check those sites when they want to read about a restaurant.

The idea of having food delivered to the train has been talked about a lot on this site. Congratulations on pulling it off!

Great story and idea! For me we need a couple quarts some classic beers, lager, or ales, hey: maybe even a Bavarian monster stein for Oktoberfest in a Superliner lounge! Paradise on rails!

As a p.s., during Halloween week I would be willing to serve this pizza cuisine in the lounge in costume for free! If i could get only a week off to go cross country and back...
There's a brewery close enough to the tracks in Glenwood Springs to make a beer run. Last month saw a fellow passenger come back with growlers for himself and some new friends.

There's a brewery close enough to the tracks in Glenwood Springs to make a beer run. Last month saw a fellow passenger come back with growlers for himself and some new friends.
A great way to miss the train and spend the night in glen wood springs.

Once a dude wanted me to run over with him to see Temple Square in SLC on the CZ. I told him the train waits for no one and I would not chance it. He went and "hoofed it over" as he said. Well, his seat was empty for the rest of the trip.

We watched a pile of pizzas being delivered to the SL at San Antonio Station. From a query we found that the crew did that all the time there.

On a recent CZ trip I chatted with a guy who has wandered around off the train at all of the longer train stops. He takes the train halfway across the country roughly every month, earning Select+ the hard way. The CZ was running early that day so we had over an hour in Denver to kill and wandered over to the former Union Station, on the other side of the tracks, walked around, and walked back with about 10 minutes to spare. Although I was unable to find it, he found the Starbucks near Grand Junction in the 40 minutes that we had there. He has also called over to the brewpub at Glenwood Springs at times and ordered food for pickup. You just have to walk up the stairs and pick up the food. At times he has also cabbed over to a joint, gotten food there, and cabbed back, all within the span of under half an hour. Even with the cab fare, usually $5-$10, it was cheaper than the dining car. If you call in advance and order for one or two most places will do it for you. A stack of pizza for a large party may require some more convincing.

If you want to maximize your time at the smoke stops, you need to be aware of when the train leaves (and how many minutes the conductor's clock is off by your clock), how fast or slow the train is operating - it seemed like the Denver break on your train was close to the 32 minute schedule, but I could see by the time that we entered the metro area that we have over an hour in Denver, even accounting for the slow travel through the rail yards (which was fortunately not that slow), and be aware of the food options near the station (through Google maps or a web search) and not spend time dilly-dallying around the station, lest you get left behind. I have made the most of my hour in Alpine, 40 minutes in Grand Junction, 80 minutes in Tucson, etc. by getting exercise while straying a good distance from the train, much more than sprinting distance. The key is to know where you're going, if you don't know where you're going know how to get back quickly, and be aware of your limitations and other options. I joked with a fellow passenger that if I missed the train in Denver I would just fly to Omaha to meet the train there (I was in a sleeper so my stuff would be safe, although the SCA might be puzzled). I had over 10 minutes to spare, but I can appreciate others who think that is cutting it too close.

On one of my Sunset journies we arrived Alpine early enough the crew actually encouraged folks to visit the nearby cafes and take-aways since we had almost an hour to kill. But that came with a reminder not to wander too far into town and lose track of time. Since it was lunchtime almost half the Coach pax headed north to eat but interestingly no one headed into the Sushi joint that is next to the station :wacko:

I have had similar success on 97 at staples mill road in richmond when we were about 10 mins ahead of schedule so that gave me a 20 minute window. . I just said I work at the station at the ticket window when I called, but I was already there before he arrived and waited in the parking lot when the guy pulled up.

Another good, although its not delivery but people think it is.... is to run into WAS when they are switching engines on the silvers or crescent...and the pizza place in there will give you a whole boxed pie in about 10 minutes. Everyone is your friend when you have a pizza in a box.

And a good late night snack is empire builder westbound at the msp stop....subway is open til midnight and about 2 blocks away with a 30 minute stop.

I'm just wondering...is there anywhere within a "safe" distance of ALB? I ask because of the long hold that the LSL frequently has there (due to 448/449 plus the engine switch). Likewise, are there any other long holds east of the Mississippi?

I'm just wondering...is there anywhere within a "safe" distance of ALB? I ask because of the long hold that the LSL frequently has there (due to 448/449 plus the engine switch). Likewise, are there any other long holds east of the Mississippi?
There is a crew change in New Haven, CT when taking the regional. It really isn't enough time to go into the station, but I was once on a train that had Pepe's pizza deliver a pie to a regional. The pizza guy was waiting on the platform when the train pulled in. The stop is generally about 5 minutes, which is plenty of time to pay the pizza guy and get the food onto the train.

Pizza delivered to the Train? Old hat. The best pizza delivery story I have is pizza being delivered to Boy Scouts near Philmont, NM. Several of the treks (ten-day high adventure hikes) cross one of the state highways that bisect the reservation. With the advent of cell phones, well, you get the idea.

The scouts in charge at Philmont Ranch discourage this, and have even co-opted cooperation from most of the pizza outlets (there are only a few) in the area, telling them that they will come off the "recommended" list, of POST-hike places to chow down.

Can't say I blame them, just something "not right" about getting a fresh-n-hot pizza delivered while you are supposed to be in the middle of a ten day "wilderness trek".

Ingenuity coupled with hunger, don'tcha love it?

LOL

Well, you do have a lot of free time on the train to coordinate such activities. Glad it worked out for you...but are you saying the diner food isn't as good as fresh pizza?? :lol:

LOL

..but are you saying the diner food isn't as good as fresh pizza?? :lol:
Actually, there's a lesson for Amtrak here. Providing a fresh, or almost fresh, made pizza creates a fun and communal atmosphere. Now i know there are no on board ovens big enough for a pizza, but can't see any reason why it isn't arranged daily for pizzarias near the tracks to be summoned by one of the attendants twenty minutes before arrival into the station. That would do wonders for improving the selection and feel of the Amfleet II dinette cafes. Right?

It's a mystery to me why this isn't used more often. There's the famous Havre chicken dinner, of course, and I when the train stopped in El Paso there was mention of great burritos, but other than that, very little. Perhaps the once-or-twice a day aspect of long-distance trains makes it a difficult sell.

Hmmm...I smell an opportunity here....set up a pizza oven near a long station stop and have a few ready at train time....rake in the moola!
tongue.gif

We watched a pile of pizzas being delivered to the SL at San Antonio Station. From a query we found that the crew did that all the time there.
While aboard the 421 waiting in San Antonio, a couple came on board offering pizzas for cash. Sadly I didn't have any money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back