Steaming Hot Freshly Made Pizza Delivered to the Ca Zephyr in Route -

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL

..but are you saying the diner food isn't as good as fresh pizza?? :lol:
Actually, there's a lesson for Amtrak here. Providing a fresh, or almost fresh, made pizza creates a fun and communal atmosphere. Now i know there are no on board ovens big enough for a pizza, but can't see any reason why it isn't arranged daily for pizzarias near the tracks to be summoned by one of the attendants twenty minutes before arrival into the station. That would do wonders for improving the selection and feel of the Amfleet II dinette cafes. Right?
Ha! I remember that Amtrak used to have microwaved pizza in the Cafe / Lounge Cars. It wasn't too good but fine when you had no other resort.

LOL

Actually, there's a lesson for Amtrak here. Providing a fresh, or almost fresh, made pizza creates a fun and communal atmosphere. Now i know there are no on board ovens big enough for a pizza, but can't see any reason why it isn't arranged daily for pizzarias near the tracks to be summoned by one of the attendants twenty minutes before arrival into the station. That would do wonders for improving the selection and feel of the Amfleet II dinette cafes. Right?
Ha! I remember that Amtrak used to have microwaved pizza in the Cafe / Lounge Cars. It wasn't too good but fine when you had no other resort.
Still sold on the Pacific Surfliner - Digiornos

LOL

Is it better now? Like, does it actully taste decent?

LOL

Still sold on most corridor trains. Not sure about the long distance trains, but most corridor trains do sell Digiornos these days. I suppose that one or more states could have asked Amtrak not to use/serve them, but I rather expect that most use them.

And if the attendant preps it properly, then IMHO it is far better than what they used to serve.

With all the discussion about non-Amtrak food being served on trains, Amtrak could save a lot of money by eliminating Dining Cars, scheduling longer stops around mealtimes and having a menu of options that could be ordered up to an hour before the stop and have the food catered to the train. John Mica would love that. Quite frankly, I prefer a Dining Car which is similar to stopping at a restaurant on a driving trip. Its far better than any food you get at an Airport. I would rather pay more for Dining Car meals than have them go away replaced by catered meals.

I consider the Digiornos sold in the Cafe to be "Emergency Pizza." It will get the job done when I have a pizza crave but that is about it.

Pizza delivered to the Train? Old hat. The best pizza delivery story I have is pizza being delivered to Boy Scouts near Philmont, NM. Several of the treks (ten-day high adventure hikes) cross one of the state highways that bisect the reservation. With the advent of cell phones, well, you get the idea.

The scouts in charge at Philmont Ranch discourage this, and have even co-opted cooperation from most of the pizza outlets (there are only a few) in the area, telling them that they will come off the "recommended" list, of POST-hike places to chow down.

Can't say I blame them, just something "not right" about getting a fresh-n-hot pizza delivered while you are supposed to be in the middle of a ten day "wilderness trek".

Ingenuity coupled with hunger, don'tcha love it?
bollocks, if you can order pizza then it is a fake curated "wilderness trek". i say order the pie if you can. i spent 7 weeks on the appalachian trail this summer and for 2 of those I had hot showers 50% of the time and it was awesome. after a while you realize that the whole wilderness experience thing is stupid.

I've never had a microwaved pizza that I'd consider to be good. That said, I did actually buy one once on the Southwest Chief in the lounge car (this would have been a year or two ago). Still, wasn't all that great.

I'm just wondering...is there anywhere within a "safe" distance of ALB? I ask because of the long hold that the LSL frequently has there (due to 448/449 plus the engine switch). Likewise, are there any other long holds east of the Mississippi?
There is a bar up the road from the station. If you walk out of the station, turn left and walk up the street. The only problem is that once you leave the train, you can't get back aboard until they make the call for the new passengers.

Since the stop is so long, especially if you are arriving on 449, I'm sure it would be very easy to get food delivered there in plenty of time.

This thread sure is making me wish I knew someone that lived in Cumberland MD so they could shuttle some Chick-Fil-A to me for dinner tomorrow night.

Its SO CLOSE! You can see it from the train!

This thread sure is making me wish I knew someone that lived in Cumberland MD so they could shuttle some Chick-Fil-A to me for dinner tomorrow night.

How about the White Castle you see out of the north side of the train just as you cross the Mississippi coming into STL? It's so temptingly close to the station and yet so far away.....

Oh, but if you're getting food to go in Cumberland, I think that it should be Curtis' Coney Island. After all, Chick-Fil-A is all over, but Curtis' has been serving Coney Islands in Cumberland since 1918.

LOL

Still sold on most corridor trains. Not sure about the long distance trains, but most corridor trains do sell Digiornos these days. I suppose that one or more states could have asked Amtrak not to use/serve them, but I rather expect that most use them.

And if the attendant preps it properly, then IMHO it is far better than what they used to serve.
OK, great to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back