Starlight Service Disruption: 4/25 through 5/9/17

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for posting this update! I realize it's not set in stone but it puts our minds at ease a bit about our return on the CS on the 24th from Eugene to Sac. Any further updates would be appreciated. If I weren't traveling with a child, this would be easier!

Good news! Just got call from Amtrak and Coast Starlight service northward from Sacramento will resume May 11. This means my entire initial itinerary is intact; no rental car in Sacramento, no driving up to Oregon, etc. I have been making other, tentative plans, but I knew I was right to wait and not cancel that leg of the trip! I am so relieved. I was not looking forward to driving from Sac to Eugene. Yes, it is very scenic, but it's still a long drive! Feet up and coffee in hand in Amtrak Business Class sounds a whole lot nicer! Hope everyone's plans turn out as well as mine :)

Yes it is! I would still keep in touch with Amtrak as your travel dates get closer. I got different answers each time I talked to their normal customer service. The call I got was directly from their travel disruption accommodations department. Sometimes it pays to keep calling back every few days to get the latest updates :)

Trainorders website has a webcam at Dunsmuir. That will clearly show if traffic is moving again.

Sorry, a little premature. Trains are moving on the line, as opposed to heading for the detour route. The bridge expected to open tonight (5/9) at 6:00 pm. (per reliable Trainorders poster)

Amtrak has opened reservations for Coast Starlight SEA and LAX originations on May 10 and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
My source was Amtrak: Their accommodations department called me yesterday and told me the 11th, and as I said, I am VERY glad I waited and did not cancel my trip on the 16th. They verified my entire itinerary is intact, which includes my 16th trip from Sacramento to Eugene on the 16th and my return trip Eugene to Sacramento on the 24th. :)

I am SO HAPPY to hear that this bridge outage situation is being resolved! My wife and I booked a roomette to travel from Seattle to Los Angeles on May 23rd and I have been on pins and needles regarding whether or not we would be able to go. Both of us are looking forward to the trip and want to avoid going by air if at all possible. We enjoy train travel, have too much luggage and don't like being treated like cattle. Thanks for all the updates.

Back