Starlight Service Disruption: 4/25 through 5/9/17

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bmjhagen9426,

I have been exchanging messages with Amtrak. They are hoping that UP's estimates are conservative, and that the repairs will happen before the dates listed. I hope that they're right. But if not, I'm sure that you will be notified as the dates get closer.

Amtrak also says that if the disruption extends longer than they are expecting, they will consider busing people. But they don't want to do so now, since that's such a long trip, and they feel that they won't get many passengers.

AORTA's letter to Amtrak seems to have had some effect -- at least there is a notice on the website now.

As to what you should do, I don't know. I guess that if I were in your shoes, I'd postpone the trip. Call them, sure, but I doubt they'll be able to tell you much. I had the same issue in 2011 when there were major floods in ND and the EB didn't run for 6 weeks. The reservation folks didn't know anything ... but they let me create a backup reservation on the CZ>CS at the same time as my EB reservation, something they don't generally allow. I was able to get on the second EB that actually ran once the line reopened.

bmjhagen9426,

I have been exchanging messages with Amtrak. They are hoping that UP's estimates are conservative, and that the repairs will happen before the dates listed. I hope that they're right. But if not, I'm sure that you will be notified as the dates get closer.

Amtrak also says that if the disruption extends longer than they are expecting, they will consider busing people. But they don't want to do so now, since that's such a long trip, and they feel that they won't get many passengers.

AORTA's letter to Amtrak seems to have had some effect -- at least there is a notice on the website now.

As to what you should do, I don't know. I guess that if I were in your shoes, I'd postpone the trip. Call them, sure, but I doubt they'll be able to tell you much. I had the same issue in 2011 when there were major floods in ND and the EB didn't run for 6 weeks. The reservation folks didn't know anything ... but they let me create a backup reservation on the CZ>CS at the same time as my EB reservation, something they don't generally allow. I was able to get on the second EB that actually ran once the line reopened.

A problem with the notice on the website is that it only comes up on the booking engine fare page if you try to book a trip on the Starlight. There is no notice on the Service Alerts and Notices page, which (sarcastically speaking) might be where someone would look to find a service alert. Unless they visit sites like AU, customers with existing reservations through May have no clue their trip could be at risk. They would not know to call to plead for mercy until the dreaded "no alternate transportation" email arrives, at which point rebooking or a last minute flight may not be possible.

Which brings me to a second point. Amtrak should have a "Travel Advisory" policy that would allow changes in reservations without a change in fare, or penalty-free cancelation and refund, even if the original booked train has not yet been officially canceled. Using this case as an example, Amtrak could declare a "Travel Advisory" for the Starlight for travel between now and May 31 knowing that Starlight travel in that period is at risk. Any ticket holder with an itinerary including the Starlight would be allowed to rebook to a later date with the original fare protected, or would be allowed to cancel with a full refund to permit booking alternate transportation.

That would be similar to the airline Travel Advisory policy, and the airlines do not do that out of the goodness of their hearts. They understand that, when it becomes probable that a service will be subject to weather or other issues, the fewer people that need to be handled at the last minute, the better. Everybody wins. The customer gets travel with reduced stress, and the carrier has fewer irrops issues to handle at the last minute.

Maybe someone at NARP could suggest this! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
bmjhagen9426,

A problem with the notice on the website is that it only comes up on the booking engine fare page if you try to book a trip on the Starlight. There is no notice on the Service Alerts and Notices page, which (sarcastically speaking) might be where someone would look to find a service alert.
Not sure when you checked, but the service alert is now listed on the Service Alerts page. That said, I suspect only a very tiny percentage of Amtrak customers bother to look at that page unless they've been prompted to by information elsewhere.

One very tiny aspect to this, that only a few people might appreciate, is that the Thruway bus that normally connects to/from the CS at Chemult (taking passengers by bus to/from Bend/Redmond is being extended down to Klamath Falls during the duration of the CS outage. While this is relatively minor, it's good to see Amtrak (possibly aided by the Oregon DOT) stepping up to maintain some level of connectivity in a rural area.

In many ways this is probably a better option for Klamath Falls--Bend/Redmond passengers than having to rely on a frequently-late long distance train in order to complete one leg of what is essentially a local trip.

Hi all,

Does anybody know how the repair to the line for the Coast Starlight is coming along? On schedule do we think?

I'm booked on it on 5/11, Seattle to LAX. Amtrak has already rescheduled me from 5/10 to 5/11 but I'm worried and maybe skeptical that the route will be open by my 5/11 trip.

Any local news from northern California or ?

Many thanks in advance,

af

MODERATOR NOTE: This post/topic was merged into the main Coast Starlight service distruption thread to avoid multiple threads on same topic.

I guess I'm now nervous. My instincts tell me that Union Pacific's 30 day estimate was conservative and that the train leaving Seattle May 23rd will not have a problem. However, if service is truly disrupted and they tell me at the last minute, I'll experience a great deal of inconvenience as well as extra cost. My wife and I are booked to travel all the way from Vancouver BC to Yuma, Arizona, meaning we take the bus connection from Vancouver to Seattle at 5:30 a.m., ride the Starlight all the way to Los Angeles, then connect to the Sunset for the short ride to Yuma. If I have to make alternate arrangements at the last minute, prices could be high. We don't have the luxury of postponing the trip, either.

Is this bridge outage considered an "act of God," meaning that Amtrak will not do anything to help individuals? This seems a different problem than those caused by excessive rain that forced cancellation of the Empire Builder several years ago.

I just got my call from Amtrak cancelling my 5/11 trip Seattle to LA. Argh.

Oh well, guess I'll experience the CS some other time......

Bummer

For me they simply called and emailed me saying those two legs (from LA to Seattle and back) were cancelled, apologizing for any inconvenience. That's it. I had to call and reschedule the rest of the trip after that point since the dates were all now three days earlier... and cutting out two legs cost me $110 MORE than the longer original trip because of such a late date. (I originally booked in January.)

​That then meant different hotel dates, which were either unavailable or much more expensive. I realize the accident wasn't their fault... but it wasn't mine, either.

(I'm currently *on* this trip, getting back on a train tomorrow night after a few nights with a friend midway through the trip.)

I'm enjoying myself, but I do wish I would have been able to visit Seattle and use my original, well planned hotel itinerary. :(

Sorry that your trip is no longer as originally planned. If it were me, I would have kept all of the other original Amtrak segments, extended my stay in Seattle, or Portland, or added a stopover near Sacramento or San Francisco and FLOWN the leg that the CS is not running. You could then board the truncated CS anywhere south of Sacramento and still enjoy the beauty of the Pacific Coast south of San Luis Obispo.

Sorry that your trip is no longer as originally planned. If it were me, I would have kept all of the other original Amtrak segments, extended my stay in Seattle, or Portland, or added a stopover near Sacramento or San Francisco and FLOWN the leg that the CS is not running. You could then board the truncated CS anywhere south of Sacramento and still enjoy the beauty of the Pacific Coast south of San Luis Obispo.
Well, except that I'm a bit phobic of flying... and my trip is about riding the train cross-country and writing a book about it. My stop choices were somewhat random and malleable. No real point to flying to Seattle just to say I did. :) :)

So now, it's just out to California via one train and then back home via a different one. It's fine -- just irksome to pay more for less trip.

I was booked to leave Sac on the CS northbound on the 16th and get off in Eugene OR the 17th. Got an email alert just yesterday, so made alternate plans to get to Eugene out of Sacramento that mean another hotel nbight and more expensive car rental. I get it, this is not Amtrak's fault. But yesterday the agent assured me there was no issue for my return trip out of Eugene OR back down to Sac on the 24th to connect with the CZ for trip back to midwest. I have a child with me. Anyone know if Amtrak or UP has said anything about the bridge not being fixed by then? I'm finding conflicting articles.

Can someone tell me where this discussion was merged, as someone posted above? This is the only forum page I can find about this issue.

Latest report posted 1 May by the UP railroad on their web page is that they expect their service to be restored "by the end of May".

Yes I saw that. I'm just wondering why Amtrak is saying the 18th. Customer Service doesn't know either. They are booking from May 18 onward. My return journey is in question.

Posts at Trainorders show photos of the repair.

The damaged bridge is a through steel truss, with several members on the north end damaged by the derailed car. A temporary support with jacks was installed below the damaged end of the truss. The damaged truss members have been removed. New steel sections have been fabricated. Using the jacks and flame heating, the truss was restored to the original geometry, and the new main truss members have been installed. There are still some secondary members to install.

Nothing official, but it sounds like the "end of May" completion announced by the UP on May 1 was a worst-case scenario put out in order to not encourage and then disappoint shipping customers if things did not go as planned. Judging by the photos at Trainorders, it looks like the line will be reopened well before that.

For members, the Trainorders topic can be found HERE. While non-members can view topics on Trainorders, guest viewing is limited to only page 1 of a multi-page thread. Unfortunately, all the good stuff in on the later pages.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I really appreciate it. I plan to keep checking this thread, and I would very much appreciate anyone posting anything new they might hear, as will I. Thanks again!

And a huge thank you to the Admin. Again, very much appreciated.

Tacoma News-Tribune headline: Amtrak quietly cancels service to California following freight train derailment ow.ly/UGI030bpA2h
Not to defend Amtrak, but that entire article reads like a personal grudge. And the headline is lacking in nuance, to say the least.
Ha! "Personal grudge." That's funny. Made me think it may have been written by Gene_Poon. Good find, Charlie.

There is in article ref to "reporter" who tried to book a ticket. That's mid 20th-century 'journalism.' http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article148459739.html

Let's hope we don't ever see the day that Tacoma's thenewstribune.com runs the no-nuance headline

Amtrak quietly cancels Long Distance service .

And PRR 60 is right, the notice was NOT on the Service Alerts and Notices page for the longest time. Then it was.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251651263317

I do think a lot of PAX/customers are more tech|media savvy to search for stuff.

Wonder if any managers will think to perform deep maintenance on Parlour Car(s) during down time?

Saw a comment on Trainorders (5/5/17) "Coast Starlight Returns" giving a date of Friday, May 19, 2017. Went and did some trial bookings...indeed, the 19th is the first date available to book the CS LA to SEA. I don't know how accurate a barometer this is. I suppose, as usual, subject to change!

Will be good to have the CS back!

Back