Speedy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creddick

Service Attendant
We took the Blue Water from East Lansing to Chicago yesterday. It was a much better trip than I expected. The train was actually almost on time and it was a good ride. We turned on a GPS between Kalamazoo and Niles and I was amazed to see we were doing 97 MPH. When we slowed to 75, it felt like we were crawling. Now if tomorrow's ride home is only as good. As far as yesteerday is concerned, good job Amtrak.

From what I've read they should be 'kicking it' up on that stretch this year to 105mph. I believe the ultimate goal is 110mph.

We took the Blue Water from East Lansing to Chicago yesterday. It was a much better trip than I expected. The train was actually almost on time and it was a good ride. We turned on a GPS between Kalamazoo and Niles and I was amazed to see we were doing 97 MPH. When we slowed to 75, it felt like we were crawling. Now if tomorrow's ride home is only as good. As far as yesterday is concerned, good job Amtrak.
amtrak owns the tracks from Kalamazoo to Niles michigan the largest stretch of track owned outside the NEC. they are permitted to run at that top speed of 95MPH on that stretch of track. speed increases of 110 are planed.

From what I've read they should be 'kicking it' up on that stretch this year to 105mph. I believe the ultimate goal is 110mph.
I thought the top speed of the P42 engine is only 102/103 mph

Bob

The F40PH was limited to 103 mph, as was the P40 when it was first introduced. (Rebuilt P40's, such as those recently purchased by NJ Transit, are rebuilt to P42 specs and are rated at 110 mph.)

The F40 cabbage cars are limited to 100 as I recall. I guess they won't be able to use 'em on push-pull Michigan trains when the speed goes up to 110.

It is these type of incremental speed increases, along with increased services in corridors to make rail travel relevant in this country. example, MIA-JAX, ORL; JAX-PNS-NOL; ATL-Charlotte-NYP.

Rail is being mentioned more in the news now, and even by Obama!

Once corridors get operating and ridership increases, we can catch up to Japan/Europe and have HSR. Good luck to California High Speed Rail!

We had a great time in Chicago and the return trip to East Lansing was good. We were only about 20 minutes late which is good for that train I think. My brother in law's GPS died (battery) so I don't know our speed yesterday. I know we were very slow out of Chicago (did depart on time but it was slow going at first) and at one point we were about 40 minutes behind schedule. So we made up about 20 minutes along the way.

In another posting, I asked about restaurants near the hotel we stayed in (Hampton Inn Majestic). We went to Italian Village and it was wonderful. About a block from the hotel too. Thanks to those who answered my earlier posting.

All in all, a great trip and I was impressed with Amtrak. Love business class too. Oh yes, the food on the train was HORRIBLE! However, it was what I expected.

We had a great time in Chicago and the return trip to East Lansing was good. We were only about 20 minutes late which is good for that train I think. My brother in law's GPS died (battery) so I don't know our speed yesterday. I know we were very slow out of Chicago (did depart on time but it was slow going at first) and at one point we were about 40 minutes behind schedule. So we made up about 20 minutes along the way.
In another posting, I asked about restaurants near the hotel we stayed in (Hampton Inn Majestic). We went to Italian Village and it was wonderful. About a block from the hotel too. Thanks to those who answered my earlier posting.

All in all, a great trip and I was impressed with Amtrak. Love business class too. Oh yes, the food on the train was HORRIBLE! However, it was what I expected.
whats horrible about it. i always get the pizza. i love the train food. if you think amtrak food is bad try AIRLINE FOOD :eek:

Pizza did not appear to be an option. It was just a cafe car and the menu was VERY limited. Burger, brat, hotdog, some kind of chicken sandwich (I had this), ham and cheese. There wasn't even a menu posted. There was one sign with the above listed and that was it. I've had airline food and I agree with you. Anything is better on a train but this was pretty humble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back