Speed Record Breaking Steam Loco Returns Home !

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

thought some of the folks across the Atlantic would be interested in the attached photos of "Mallard" on her recent visit back home to South Yorkshire.

It was a very nostalgic re-union for us old enough to remember seeing her in her heyday!!

Enjoy :)

DonnyladDSCF3098.JPGDSCF3104.JPGDSCF3107.JPGDSCF3110.JPG

Donnylad,

I notice the "miles per hour"...from back before Great Britain went metric. In Canada, the railroads are the only ones (that I know of) that did not switch to metric. I don't know why. Maybe the cost of replacing all the mile markers. lol!

On another note, the first locomotive in the US was shipped over from England. It is presently on display in Honesdale, Pa. I'm not into equipment but I was in town one day for business and had some time before my appointment. I visited the museum. I was surprised at how small it is...it can fit into most living rooms. It ran on wooden tracks. lol! It was to haul coal over some mountain. As you may have guessed, it was not a commercial success. It was, however, the start of things to come. For anyone with interest, search "Stourbridge Lion".

The original Storbridge was part of an order of three locomotives purchased by the D&H Railroad. While it did operate, it wasn't impressive enough for continuos operation and was eventually disposed of. The Lion was stripped so all that was left was the boiler. The boiler was used in a foundry and was used at one time for a historic display but many of the other parts were stolen off the boiler. The boiler is now owned by the Smithsonian Institute and was on display at the history museum in Washington, DC. One of the sister engines cylinders is also owned by the Smithsonian. What you saw in Honesdale is a replica that was built by the Delaware and Hudson Railroad in 1930s. It did operate at one time. There is a forth locomotive of similar design that is believed to be the prototype of this class and is on diplay in a museum in England.

Back