Speaking of late (CZ) trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
It seems that the CZ has a pretty good OTP from Chicago to Denver and then things go down hill from there. It is also fairly close East bound untill east of Salt Lake City. What is there in between Salt Lake and Denver that causes so many problems with the train?

That's what i thought! On days (most of them) when the CZ is running late by several hours at say Galesburg, will they let the folks ticketed for it who have connections in Chicago board the SWC in order to make those connections or do they make them waite for the #6?

Well, Today's 6 was 1 hour 19 minutes late at Sparks. He is predicted to be ontime into Salt Lake City. Im gonna be tracking this train for the next couple of weeks because I will be on 6 on March 4 from Emeryville to Chicago.

Well, Today's 6 was 1 hour 19 minutes late at Sparks. He is predicted to be ontime into Salt Lake City. Im gonna be tracking this train for the next couple of weeks because I will be on 6 on March 4 from Emeryville to Chicago.
I was on 6 in late January. I had tracked it for about a month or so before my trip.

It was late anywhere from 1 hour to 8 hours and only once arrived early.

While on the train I noted (see my report in the trip reports section) that it wasn't the sitting on a siding and waiting. It was having to go slower than expected because of slow freights in front going the same direction. In fact, I saw more freights going westbound sitting on sidings waiting for us than the times we were on the siding.

Dual track would solve a lot of problems!!!

They've gotta have some serious padding in that CZ schedule. right now its running 6:16 late between NPV and CHI. Its estimated to be 5:15 late into Union Station.

Midland Valley said:
What is there in between Salt Lake and Denver that causes so many problems with the train?
6938.jpg

When I was tracking it, it seemed to be delayed before Provo. I was seeeing two and 3 hour delays out of Provo. It did not seem to be losing time between Salt Lake and Denver. Unless it was between Salt Lake nd Provo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back