Spartanburg to Asheville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsinsky

Train Attendant
Is there any transportation from the Spartanburg Amtrak station to Asheville? Or transportation to the airport in Greenville where I could rent a car? We are going from Chicago to Asheville.

Is there any transportation from the Spartanburg Amtrak station to Asheville? Or transportation to the airport in Greenville where I could rent a car? We are going from Chicago to Asheville.
Since you arriving in the early am on the Crescent, I strongly suggest that you get off @ the Greenville Station which is in the freight yards but is a Crew Change point and take a cab or Uber or Lyft from there to the Greenville Airport to get your car.
Greenville has an agent ( Spartenburg is unmanned) and checked Baggage and much more activity There is basically nothing @ the Spartenburg Station.

As far as I know there is no bus Transportation to Ashville from either City, but there may be expensive tree top air transportation available to Ashville from the Greenville/Spartenburg Airport.

Corrected to reflect that GRV is manned Station, mea cuppa!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you arriving in the early am on the Crescent, I strongly suggest that you get off @ the Greenville Station which is in the freight yards but is a Crew Change point and take a cab or Uber or Lyft from there to the Greenville Airport to get your car.

Both Stations are unmanned but Greenville has much more activity and is a larger City. There is basically nothing @ the Spartenburg Station.

As far as I know there is no bus Transportation to Ashville from either City, but there may be expensive tree top air transportation available to Ashville from the Greenville/Spartenburg Airport.
Unless it's changed recently, Greenville has a station attendant, who takes care of checked luggage as well as ticket sales.

Good advice re: getting off in Greenville rather than Spartanburg. And as far as I know, there are no buses from Greenville station to Asheville. It's about a 1-hour drive.

In the year 2002 I was living in Hendersonville, NC, 25 miles south of Asheville and took a cab to catch Amtrak going north, which cost $75 at that time. GRV still has a ticket agent. I would go with getting a rental car.

Greyhound does make the trip from Greenville, but connecting from the southbound train its a nearly useless evening departure.

Connecting in Spartanburg is also an evening bus, and requires you change buses in Greenville anyway. It is inexpensive though, just $15.

I use the GRV station regularly and have checked out the Spartanburg one. Go to Greenville. However, you'll be arriving at 5:45AM if train is on time. Here are some suggestions:

1) Taxi/Uber to airport. Airport rental cars are always higher than in-town IMHO.

2) Taxi/Uber to city location near a restaurant. Enjoy a leisurely breakfast until the place opens. Probably save far more than option 1 but you will have to wait until place opens and it may be a problem with one-way rental.

3) There are shuttle services between Asheville and GSP. They might pick you up from the station at reasonable cost. Google airport shuttle service from Asheville. Or just arrange transportation from GSP and taxi/Uber to airport.

Call Enterprise, they will pick you up at the station, a lot cheaper than the rate at GSP.

If you're set on public transportation, Southeastern Stages operates a bus from Greenville to Asheville. You're spending a whole day in Greenville though since the bus departs at 7:10pm. The bus stop though is pretty far off the beaten path, about the same distance as the Greenville-Spartanburg airport, but here it is and with a bus to show that they do stop there: https://goo.gl/maps/toXby2ENZB92

They have a location near downtown Greenville that opens at 8, by the time the train actually gets there and you get into the waiting room, the wait to get picked up would not be terribly long.

They have a location near downtown Greenville that opens at 8, by the time the train actually gets there and you get into the waiting room, the wait to get picked up would not be terribly long.
Wrong. We arrived at 5:45AM. Were in our car after picking up our bags from the agent at 6AM! We took our sweet time. Not many passengers get off in Greenville and fewer have bags.

I think my suggestion of Uber/Taxi to restaurant near car rental so a leisurely breakfast can be had until opening is the better idea. That is, if course, (and a BIG IF), they do one-way rentals from Greenville to Asheville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back