Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchick45

Train Attendant
On the SW Chief going west which side of the train has the best view? We have a roomette on each side of 330 but I want to pick the side with the best views if possible for my husband and myself. My teenage kids will have their faces burried in electronics and not being too interested in the view. We are going from Fort Madison to Abq.

Going west, I always preferred the view from the left side of the train. You get to see more of the Raton and Glorieta Passes. On the right side, you're mostly facing rock ledges and walls (which are still pretty neat).

Once you get close to the Raton Pass, though, you'll want to be on the right. You'll see the signs for Dick Wooten's Ranch and the Santa Fe Trail. You can also see Pike's Peak way off in the distance.

Honestly, both sides have incredible views. You'll want to park yourself in the lounge car after you leave Trinidad (or slightly before, since it tends to fill up at that point). You'll go through the Raton Pass after Trinidad and the Glorieta Pass after Las Vegas, NM. So, plan to sit in the lounge from some point before Trinidad until Albuquerque or thereabouts.

Speaking of Albuquerque, the beautiful Sandia Peak will be on the left side of the train. That was always my "marker" for Albuquerque, since you reach the station about 15-20 minutes after you pass it. :)

I tend to prefer the north side of the train for the view without the sun in my face

Last edited by a moderator:
From Trinidad to Lamy most of the ride is like something from out of the old west, particularly the setting of Lamy station, which will be on the right heading west. There is no station at Trinidad, just a platform, but Raton and Las Vegas are both notable and on the right. Keep your eyes peeled for the big S curve and crossing the Pecos River. ( I wish somebody would pull those junk cars out of the water )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back