Southwest Chief Summit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
Yesterday, there was a summit held with local leaders, Amtrak and BNSF to discuss the future of the SWC route. Here was the schedule...

Southwest Chief SummitFinnup Center for Conservation Education

Hart Conference Room

April 10, 2012

11 a.m. - 3 p.m.

11 a.m. Welcome and Introductions

Meal

12 p.m. Open meeting

Overview of situation from Amtrak

Overview of situation from BNSF

Public Input*

1 p.m. Closed meeting for Amtrak/BNSF representatives from local/state agencies to discuss short and long term needs.

2:15 p.m. Open meeting

Closing public comments from BNSF, Amtrak and local/state agency representatives

*Those wishing to address BNSF or Amtrak should RSVP with Ashley Freburg at 620-276-1160 or [email protected]. If you would like to present information, please send copies electronically to [email protected].
Hopefully we will hear some news soon on what was actually talked about.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Garden City (KS) Telegram, 4/11/2012:

"It's been known for some time ... that freight traffic on this line is declining," the Amtrak VP [Paul Vilter] also said. "We're really facing two things together here. One is an annual maintenance (cost) and the other a capitalized maintenance. One is about keeping it going, fixing the things that break, that have to be fixed every year, like filling potholes in your streets and roads. ... Unfortunately, there's also a long-range capital (cost). Rail is made of steel, it's very durable but wears out eventually. Within the next 10 years, that's on the rise within this line."
The full story on the meeting is HERE.

Amtrak authorities reiterated their position during the summit that they want to see the Southwest Chief route maintained through this area for its historic significance through the heart of the West, but can't absorb the costs on their own.
I hope they have more reasons to keep it going on the current route than "historic significance".

Amtrak authorities reiterated their position during the summit that they want to see the Southwest Chief route maintained through this area for its historic significance through the heart of the West, but can't absorb the costs on their own.
I hope they have more reasons to keep it going on the current route than "historic significance".
Amtrak has their hat out and they are ringing the donation bell.

Amtrak has their hat out and they are ringing the donation bell.
I am just wondering, does anyone actually think that $100 million is going to be found for the upgrades? Along with $12 million a year in maintenance?
It's a lot of cash, but if Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico along with the towns along the route want to keep the service, they'll have to come up with the cash. The annual maintenance probably wouldn't be a problem. Some kind of federal grant could fund the upgrades. It might be better for the states to buy the tracks and open them up to whoever wants to provide freight service.

If not,then I guess passenger service will return to Amarillo and assorted other places.

It might be better for the states to buy the tracks and open them up to whoever wants to provide freight service.
I vaguely remember something in this story about New Mexico already having a previous commitment to buy some of the tracks that they were trying to get out of. Does anybody know what I'm talking about or am I just plucking things from my posterior?

AAron, you're correct. NM promised to buy the line up to the state line with Colorado from BNSF< but now they are trying to get out of it. They only want it from Belen to where the line splits to go to Santa Fe

Just for comparison... 100 million only buys about 3 F-18s...but there's no outrage about that...

Am very glad that I am booked to ride this train in August of this year while it's still alive and kicking! Am really looking forward to going over Raton Pass and through northern New Mexico.

That being said, I do find the arguments for re-routing the train to be pretty convincing. If Amtrak has to cover the tracks costs itself, that's a big ask in this beleaguered economy, and probably not feasible. Of course, in my ideal world, we would have a train through west Texas and the current SWC route.

I've done the Raton Pass route and it would be sad to think that that line may be lost.

But, allowing myself to ask a stupid question, what is the alternative like scenery-wise?

Surely it must also have some points of interest.

It's not as if the SWC will suddenly going to become a boring and dull train.

I've done the Raton Pass route and it would be sad to think that that line may be lost.

But, allowing myself to ask a stupid question, what is the alternative like scenery-wise?

There's Abo Canyon right outside of Belen, NM, but that's about it, other than some plains. It doesn't even compare to Raton and Glorietta Passes.

It would go through the beautiful metropolis of Amarillo, Tx! So you would get to see me standing by the tracks every time you went by. Course, not sure if that compares to Raton Pass. :giggle:

AMTRAK STATEMENT REGARDING THE CURRENT SOUTHWEST CHIEF ROUTE

CHICAGO - This week in Garden City, Kan., Amtrak and BNSF Railway Co. officials met with representatives of communities in Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico along the route of the Southwest Chief, which operates daily between Chicago and Los Angeles via western Kansas, southeastern Colorado, and northern New Mexico.

In the meeting, Amtrak explained how changing freight traffic patterns mean BNSF's remaining needs can be met with lower track speeds, making the line unsuitable for through passenger service. Funding to maintain and improve track will be needed in coming years in order for the Southwest Chief to continue to serve the current route.

Several ideas for funding and public action were discussed by Amtrak and BNSF. Both railroads are committed to work with the affected communities to find a solution to the issue, with Amtrak and BNSF both saying the current route is the best for the Southwest Chief. Many communities and others have made investments in their stations and in otherwise supporting the service - and those efforts are recognized and appreciated.

However, decisions and financial commitments will be needed by the end of 2014. If they are not in place, steps will need to be taken to operate the train via a different route between Newton, Kan., and Albuquerque by early 2016.

AMTRAK STATEMENT REGARDING THE CURRENT SOUTHWEST CHIEF ROUTE

However, decisions and financial commitments will be needed by the end of 2014. If they are not in place, steps will need to be taken to operate the train via a different route between Newton, Kan., and Albuquerque by early 2016.
Can you post a link to this info?

It is nice to finally have some sort of deadline instead of everyone guessing when this might happen. I guess Amtrak/BNSF feels the current track can hold up for four more years at current (or close to) speeds.

It is interesting that they want financial commitments by the end of 2014 but would not move it until 2016.

It is interesting that they want financial commitments by the end of 2014 but would not move it until 2016.
Probably because, one way or the other, it will take a year or more to get everything in place to complete the move, or do whatever trackwork is necessary to stay on the existing line.

Of course, the Southwest Chief is going to need a big pile of money in 2015 either way ... because even if the train moves to the southern route, a series of new stations will need to be built, probably along with other improvements as well. It'll be the less-expensive option, but it certainly won't be free.

I really hope, though, that the Raton Pass route somehow survives ... it's really a surprisingly scenic trip. And (with apologies to printman2000) the route through Amarillo is bleak, bleak, bleak. :(

Of course, the Southwest Chief is going to need a big pile of money in 2015 either way ... because even if the train moves to the southern route, a series of new stations will need to be built, probably along with other improvements as well. It'll be the less-expensive option, but it certainly won't be free.

I really hope, though, that the Raton Pass route somehow survives ... it's really a surprisingly scenic trip. And (with apologies to printman2000) the route through Amarillo is bleak, bleak, bleak. :(
Have you ridden the route through Amarillo?

I kinda think the cost of stations will come from local communities, not Amtrak.

printman2000 said:
1334257174[/url]' post='360424']
Montanan said:
1334256544[/url]' post='360423']Of course, the Southwest Chief is going to need a big pile of money in 2015 either way ... because even if the train moves to the southern route, a series of new stations will need to be built, probably along with other improvements as well. It'll be the less-expensive option, but it certainly won't be free.

Have you ridden the route through Amarillo?

I kinda think the cost of stations will come from local communities, not Amtrak.
Just curious, what would the new route be? Would love to see it swing through OKC on the way to Amarillo, that would make extending the HF to KC unecessary maybe, and open up this area to go east and west without going to FTW. Don't know if that's possible, but would be nice for Oklahoma. Even if it went via KC-via Tulsa and maybe Joplin MO, would open up a whole new area of the country, though would add time and KS would lose out.

Just curious, what would the new route be? Would love to see it swing through OKC on the way to Amarillo, that would make extending the HF to KC unecessary maybe, and open up this area to go east and west without going to FTW. Don't know if that's possible, but would be nice for Oklahoma. Even if it went via KC-via Tulsa and maybe Joplin MO, would open up a whole new area of the country, though would add time and KS would lose out.
Belen-Clovis-Amarillo-Witchita

printman2000 said:
1334258825[/url]' post='360432']
Shortline said:
1334258663[/url]' post='360430']Just curious, what would the new route be? Would love to see it swing through OKC on the way to Amarillo, that would make extending the HF to KC unecessary maybe, and open up this area to go east and west without going to FTW. Don't know if that's possible, but would be nice for Oklahoma. Even if it went via KC-via Tulsa and maybe Joplin MO, would open up a whole new area of the country, though would add time and KS would lose out.
Belen-Clovis-Amarillo-Witchita
Bummer. Oh well. Maybe they'll eventually get OKC-KC. That's a perfect business trip for me, too close to fly, far enough I don't want to drive. Maybe someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back