Southwest Chief Arrival Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
With #3's scheduled arrival time of 8:15am (with frequent actual arrivals earlier than that) I was just curious about what they do about breakfast, when it occurs so close to arrival time at Union Station.

It's very abbreviated. You have to get up really early. As I recall, they make last call around San Bernardino and close at Riverside. If on time, the diner could be closed by 6 am.

Of course, if on time, you could actually pull into LAX before 7:15 am.

For our trip, we've already decided to find somewhere to eat after we arrive LAX - it also kills some time for the freeways to "clear" a little from rush hour traffic (we're driving rental car down to South Bay area). (1) how long should we plan to wait for the freeways to be a little more friendly? and (2) would Olvera Street be a viable breakfast spot? Don't want to go far from the Station, as we're a little terrified of driving in downtown anyway. And I'm saving Phillipe for lunch on the day we head back home. Thanks!

The freeways will never be entirely "friendly" during the day, but traffic should be a little bit lighter after 9:30 or 10:00.

I'm not sure if any of the Olvera Street restaurants are open for breakfast. There is a Denny's across the street from the "back" of Union Station (you'd follow the signs to Patsaouras Transit Plaza). Philippe's does serve breakfast food in the morning, in addition to their sandwiches.

If you're willing to take the subway, I'd recommend a downtown L.A. institution, The Original Pantry Cafe. You'd take the subway from Union Station to the 7th Street/Metro Center stop, then walk two blocks south on Figueroa Street. (Be forewarned that there may be a long line to be seated, particularly on Saturday and Sunday, but it moves pretty quickly.)

You don't need to "save" Philippes, they serve a really good Breakfast (the Combos are Especially Good) in addition to the Sandwiches and even though Inflation has caused the famous 9 cent Cop of Coffee to rise to 45 cents, its still a heck of a deal! The usuall suspects are in Union Station but who wants Generic Expensive Swill when you are on Holiday? ;)

Freeways better after 10 am: check. That helps. (I understand that the traffic won't be GOOD, just looking to miss the worst of rush hour.)

Am sure that Phillipe serves a great breakfast too, but "saving" it for a lunch later in the sense that we'll probably never get back to Los Angeles. Ever. So why eat two meals at the same place, when we can try a meal each at two different places? We much prefer trying independents, holes-in-the-wall and dives - like you said, not looking for generic chain food. Really looking forward to Phillipe's sandwiches.

Thank you for the recommendation of the Original Pantry Cafe - but pretty sure taking the subway just isn't in the cards. :) I'll have to look up our routing between Union Station and getting on the 101 - I'll bet I can find somewhere to stop for breakfast that isn't a chain place. Thanks all!

The freeways will never be entirely "friendly" during the day, but traffic should be a little bit lighter after 9:30 or 10:00.

I'm not sure if any of the Olvera Street restaurants are open for breakfast. There is a Denny's across the street from the "back" of Union Station (you'd follow the signs to Patsaouras Transit Plaza). Philippe's does serve breakfast food in the morning, in addition to their sandwiches.

If you're willing to take the subway, I'd recommend a downtown L.A. institution, The Original Pantry Cafe. You'd take the subway from Union Station to the 7th Street/Metro Center stop, then walk two blocks south on Figueroa Street. (Be forewarned that there may be a long line to be seated, particularly on Saturday and Sunday, but it moves pretty quickly.)
It's not a Denny's any more - it's a mom-and-pop place, with a very so-so reputation now...

I would never drive a private car in Los Angeles. I would always take LACMTA.
That is all well and good, but you won't get to very many places as the rail system is extremely limited in where it goes and the buses are incredibly slow and congested. The price you pay to visit LA and see all the great sights--from the Huntington Museum in Pasadena to the Getty museums on the West Side, to Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and on and on--is a car. The freeways can be crowded, especially at rush hour, but they are still far more efficient for both residents and tourists than public transit.

That is all well and good, but you won't get to very many places as the rail system is extremely limited in where it goes and the buses are incredibly slow and congested. The price you pay to visit LA and see all the great sights--from the Huntington Museum in Pasadena to the Getty museums on the West Side, to Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and on and on--is a car. The freeways can be crowded, especially at rush hour, but they are still far more efficient for both residents and tourists than public transit.
I mean inside the city. Places like Pasadena are not inside the city and the Santa Monica Freeway (I&D 10) is one of the most congested in the US. Maybe I'm just biased because I don't really care if I spend two hours on a AN440.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean inside the city. Places like Pasadena are not inside the city and the Santa Monica Freeway (I&D 10) is one of the most congested in the US. Maybe I'm just biased because I don't really care if I spend two hours on a AN440.
Not biased at all. You just are far from the normal visitor who comes to LA to see the many sights. To do so, unfortunately--as I obviously am pro public-transit--you really do need to rent a car or have a friend tool you around. As for the "city'" of LA, it sprawls over hundreds of square miles e.g. surrounds Beverly Hills, surrounds "Hollywood," to name only two spots. It borders Santa Monica on three sides (the Pacific is the fourth). And two hours on an "AN440," which I assume must be a popular bus model, might only get you one-way from Union Station to one place, depending on the time of day in LA. Almost all buses run on surface streets, which is a far slower way to go than even the stop-and-go of rush hour traffic on the freeways. One of the few exceptions, the Big Blue Bus no. 10, a freeway express from Union Station to Santa Monica, sits in the same traffic along with everything else. Some day, perhaps within a half-century, LA will have a rail rapid transit system to rival BART, the DC Metro, and the New York and Chicago subway/elevated systems. For now, only masochists and AN440 enthusiasts would spend their hard-earned vacation time shlepping around LA without a car.

To clarify, the subway to 7th Street/Metro Center stop is either the Red or Purple lines. It is about a 10 minute subway ride. And the walkdown Figueroa St. is very safe. (My office is at 8th and Figueroa -- please waive as you go by.) But personally, I prefer the food at Phillippe's.

quote name='gregoryla' timestamp='1355971600' post='411565']

To clarify, the subway to 7th Street/Metro Center stop is either the Red or Purple lines. It is about a 10 minute subway ride. And the walkdown Figueroa St. is very safe. (My office is at 8th and Figueroa -- please waive as you go by.) But personally, I prefer the food at Phillippe's.
Original Pantry is a great place to eat. Almost everyone asks for a doggie bag as the portions are very generous.

Ages ago I worked at 841 S Figueroa and also at Olympic and Flower. I liked the area.

Dan

For anyone that wants to ride a bus in the City of LA, here's a map of the city.

http://www.laalmanac.com/LA/lamap2.htm

Not biased at all. You just are far from the normal visitor who comes to LA to see the many sights. To do so, unfortunately--as I obviously am pro public-transit--you really do need to rent a car or have a friend tool you around. As for the "city'" of LA, it sprawls over hundreds of square miles e.g. surrounds Beverly Hills, surrounds "Hollywood," to name only two spots. It borders Santa Monica on three sides (the Pacific is the fourth). And two hours on an "AN440," which I assume must be a popular bus model, might only get you one-way from Union Station to one place, depending on the time of day in LA. Almost all buses run on surface streets, which is a far slower way to go than even the stop-and-go of rush hour traffic on the freeways. One of the few exceptions, the Big Blue Bus no. 10, a freeway express from Union Station to Santa Monica, sits in the same traffic along with everything else. Some day, perhaps within a half-century, LA will have a rail rapid transit system to rival BART, the DC Metro, and the New York and Chicago subway/elevated systems. For now, only masochists and AN440 enthusiasts would spend their hard-earned vacation time shlepping around LA without a car.
I'm fine with that. It's just my personal preference, I guess. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pantry went south recently, the last time I ate there was about four or five years ago. Hopefully they have gotten better. Coming out of Union Station at 8:30 AM in the morning, traffic will not be an issue if you head north, south, or east. It's only westbound on the 10, and to a lesser extent the 101 to Hollywood, which gets jammed out leaving downtown. Entering downtown, obviously, is a different story.

Unfortunately that's just what we have to do: get on the 101 toward Hollywood, to the Harbor Fwy. southbound.

For our trip, we've already decided to find somewhere to eat after we arrive LAX - it also kills some time for the freeways to "clear" a little from rush hour traffic (we're driving rental car down to South Bay area). (1) how long should we plan to wait for the freeways to be a little more friendly? and (2) would Olvera Street be a viable breakfast spot? Don't want to go far from the Station, as we're a little terrified of driving in downtown anyway. And I'm saving Phillipe for lunch on the day we head back home. Thanks!
We were originally going to drive to San Diego from Union Station, but like you, I'm a little terrified of L.A. traffic and came up with the brilliant idea of taking the Surfliner to San Diego and rent a car there! Will be taking business class, what can I expect? And what about luggage storage on the Surfliner....will have only 2, but rather large. Is there a place for them on upper level?

We were originally going to drive to San Diego from Union Station, but like you, I'm a little terrified of L.A. traffic and came up with the brilliant idea of taking the Surfliner to San Diego and rent a car there! Will be taking business class, what can I expect? And what about luggage storage on the Surfliner....will have only 2, but rather large. Is there a place for them on upper level?
The place for them IS on the upper level...not much luggage storage on the lower level, though a few cars have been rejiggered to allow it. BC can be worth it, especially on a crowded train (at least you're guaranteed seats that way!)

I wouldn't want to schlep (carry) large bags to the upper level. I ride the Surfliner several times a year when I visit my daughter in Oceanside. Honestly, there isn't that much difference in the view from the upper level. Try to sit on the right side (facing forward) on the Surfliner for great ocean views after San Juan Capistrano.

You can jump off the SWC at Fullerton and take the next southbound Surfliner, this saves 2-3 hours backtracking into Union Station, the normal wait for the southbound train is minutes. The westbound SWC arrives on the northbound track, at Fullerton you have to cross over on an elevated bridge to the southbound track. Take the elevator if you have big bags. I learned this "trick" here on the forum and it gives me extra time with my granddaughter, arriving in Oceanside at about 0830 instead of 1130. On the return trip I just ride all the way to Union Station and catch the SWC there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back