Southbound CNO diner on fire

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AkeJake

Southbound CNO train 59 diner electrical fire. We are stopped in Woodstock tenn. They are gonna put it on the rear and we are going to keep going I hope. It was a small electrical fire that was causing HEP to go in and out. Diner was full of smoke. Thank god it was before breakfast. No one hurt, no real damage. Firetrucks everywhere!!

Jake

UpDate: switching bad diner to the rear. This crew hasn't done much swithing I guess. Firetrucks gone, hopefully no busses!

Jake

Glad to hear there were no injuries. Is there a lounge car in the train? If not, what are they going to do about food service for the rest of the trip?

Southbound CNO train 59 diner electrical fire. We are stopped in Woodstock tenn. They are gonna put it on the rear and we are going to keep going I hope. It was a small electrical fire that was causing HEP to go in and out. Diner was full of smoke. Thank god it was before breakfast. No one hurt, no real damage. Firetrucks everywhere!!

Jake
Is seems that CNO has a lot of problems or is just me, the CNO seems to be involved in mores incidents (crossing accidents, onboard problems, breakdowns, sink holes and now fires)than any other single Amtrak train?

I guess I'll find out first hand as next week I'm taking her Chi - NOL incident free I hope.

Tim

Yikes, me too. We're taking the CONO for the first time from CHM to NOL in a couple of weeks. Here's hoping for a smooth, incident-free ride!

Cindy

Glad to hear there were no injuries. Is there a lounge car in the train? If not, what are they going to do about food service for the rest of the trip?
Since this train runs with a CCC instead of a regular diner, the good news is that Amtrak hasnt lost another diner and that there are extra CCCs sitting around to be subsituted. If this train has a sightseer lounge iinstead of a second CCC it would have the cafe/snack car downstairs, if a CCC then the snacks can be sold out of the built in snack bar in the CCC that iis the lounge car.

Hopefully, since the City has been operating as a run through with the Texas Eagles, there will be time to clean/resupply this set since CHI has been doing such a poor job lately on these trains!

As to the incidents/bad luck etc., the South leads the world in train/vehicle accidents due to the thousands of unmarked crossings and the sink holes/floods etc. are no worse than the floods/heat induced slow orders, earthquakes etc. experienced on other routes! New Orleans is not a prime vacation spot in the summer so the passenger load should be down except for the Northbound train loaded with people trying to escape to the North where, amazingly, it's even hotter and flooding is taking place! :eek: Go figure! :wacko:

Sounds like the City will once again be "The Chicken Bone Express" since the diner is out of service! :eek: KFC to the rescue for the sleeper passengers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had my first real experience with a CCC last week on the Texas Eagle. They are extremely loud! No carpeting and with 30+ people all talking at once, I could hardly hear.

They gave us a biscuit from McDonalds this morning and for lunch a rather good ham sandwich for lunch from a local diner. dining car doesn't have any real major damage that I can see. The fire was located behind the battery box low under the wheels. The crew and our car attendent have been great. We are about 2 hours down on time but overall it hasn't been to bad! The car was diner lounge 37006.

Jake

Actually they're not "unmarked" crossings. The crossings are protected by "crossbucks" Signs in an "X" pattern that display the words "Railroad Crossing" Many also have "Stop" of "Yield" signs. State laws state that motor vehicles must yield to trains at these "intersections" as trains have the right of way.

In southern Mississippi and eastern Louisiana the CN tracks parallel US 51 for almost 100 miles, with many many crossings. These tracks have been here over 100 years, and Amtrak and IC have been running fast passenger trains on them for almost all of those hundred years. Why do people not pay attention..... why can they not hear a train horn.....why do the local communities not want to close some of these crossings, if there was an answer to that one, we could stop the nonsense.

We have made the trip on the CONO twice, and hit a car once, and almost hit a pedestrian the other time. Good luck.

Actually they're not "unmarked" crossings. The crossings are protected by "crossbucks" Signs in an "X" pattern that display the words "Railroad Crossing" Many also have "Stop" of "Yield" signs. State laws state that motor vehicles must yield to trains at these "intersections" as trains have the right of way.

In southern Mississippi and eastern Louisiana the CN tracks parallel US 51 for almost 100 miles, with many many crossings. These tracks have been here over 100 years, and Amtrak and IC have been running fast passenger trains on them for almost all of those hundred years. Why do people not pay attention..... why can they not hear a train horn.....why do the local communities not want to close some of these crossings, if there was an answer to that one, we could stop the nonsense.

We have made the trip on the CONO twice, and hit a car once, and almost hit a pedestrian the other time. Good luck.

Other than the near misses did you enjoy the trip as I am looking forward to the trip minus the extra credit excitement?

Tim

Ive ridden the City in both directions about 10 times, never had any problems except for no Sightseer lounge,CCC diner(lounge combo) and a Vanished SCA once! :lol: South of Memphis is some interesting scenery, the rest of the trip is mostly in the dark! The tracks are also pretty rough on this part of the route! Hope yall have had an Ok ride since the misfortune, glad there was no bustitution and no-one was hurt! Also sounds like the han sandwich beat KFC or Pizza Hut! ^_^

Since this train runs with a CCC instead of a regular diner, the good news is that Amtrak hasnt lost another diner and that there are extra CCCs sitting around to be subsituted. If this train has a sightseer lounge iinstead of a second CCC it would have the cafe/snack car downstairs, if a CCC then the snacks can be sold out of the built in snack bar in the CCC that iis the lounge car.

Hopefully, since the City has been operating as a run through with the Texas Eagles, there will be time to clean/resupply this set since CHI has been doing such a poor job lately on these trains!

As to the incidents/bad luck etc., the South leads the world in train/vehicle accidents due to the thousands of unmarked crossings and the sink holes/floods etc. are no worse than the floods/heat induced slow orders, earthquakes etc. experienced on other routes! New Orleans is not a prime vacation spot in the summer so the passenger load should be down except for the Northbound train loaded with people trying to escape to the North where, amazingly, it's even hotter and flooding is taking place! :eek: Go figure! :wacko:
Problem is, this is the southbound train. I doubt they have an extra CCC sitting in New Orleans. Wonder what they will do when this set goes back north?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back