South Station - Current situation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Acela round trip from Boston to DC in late May and am wondering about the situation at South Station. A friend who was recently there described the scene at the train station as especially chaotic and unpleasant due to the construction and noise. He has been to South Station many times before but seemed shocked at the current situation.

Since we will be arriving by bus at the South Station bus terminal, he suggested that we would find it more pleasant to wait at the bus terminal for a while and then go to the train station shortly before our train would be ready to board instead of waiting at the train station.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you are in first class you can use the lounge. I was in the station last weekend. It was busy, but not chaotic imho. There are food places open. Since you have reserved seats on the Acela you just have to find a place to sit and monitor the departure board.

I don't recommend sitting in the bus area because Amtrak information may not be displayed on those boards.

If you are in first class you can use the lounge. I was in the station last weekend. It was busy, but not chaotic imho. There are food places open. Since you have reserved seats on the Acela you just have to find a place to sit and monitor the departure board.

I don't recommend sitting in the bus area because Amtrak information may not be displayed on those boards.

OMG, the Drama.

First South Station, like many places in the Boston HUB is under construction (see below).

There can be noise related to this (weekdays in particular), and detours set up, but it is far from chaotic.

As an earlier poster notes, if you are using ACELA First Class you can use the quiet confines of the First Class Lounge, if you are not using First Class, but are an Amtrak Guest Rewards member, check your account, as they sometimes offer First Class Lounge Passes.

Do not use the Bus Station Waiting Area as mentioned earlier, you will not hear Amtrak related announcements.

That said, if you want to avoid the construction issue, simply take your train from the Back Bay Station (tickets are cross honored between the 2 stations), if you have the time for a short cab, or uber/lyft ride.
We are fortunate in Boston that we have (2) full schedule Amtrak stations within the collective of our Business Districts (The Hub).

Lastly, here is an overview of what is going on at South Station.

https://www.mbta.com/projects/south-station-transportation-center-improvements
Ken

Last edited:
I use South Station all the time, and haven't had any issues with the construction. Just part of life in the big city. The lounge is *really* nice, and if you can't get in any other way, either buy a one day pass or ask here if someone might be kind enough to comp you one. You get free non-alcoholic drinks and light snacks, and it is worth it alone for the amazing historical pictures of the station.

https://www.amtraktrains.com/thread...pons-seeking-available-questions.74966/page-5
I'm not sure it is worth going to Back Bay, it is a very small station with no waiting area other than benches, and all the good seats will get snarfed by people getting on at South Station. You want a window seat on the left side of the train. The scenery is dull at first but spectacular once you reach the coast. The easiest way to get ahead of the crowd is to ask one of the many redcaps to assist you with boarding. They will be delighted to take your luggage, no matter how small, and get you on the train first. You definitely want to slip them a $10 after boarding. If you get into the lounge, they can also get redcap service for you.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the comments on this. I agree that the lounge in South Station is a great asset. However I am surprised that South Station does not seem to have a great deal of seating for coach or business class passengers. Maybe I am missing something.

I used to travel through Back Bay years ago when the bus station was a few blocks from the Back Bay station but I haven't used that station for years.

Even before the construction, the South Station waiting area wasn't much to write home about, but I don't think the construction has messed up the existing waiting area too much. Definitely use the Metropolitan Lounge if you can get in. I add to the voices of those who don't recommend Back Bay as a place to wait. In addition to the hard benches, they don't make announcements of Amtrak trains, so you really have to be on your toes and pay attention if you don't want to miss your train. Also, as others have said, a lot of the good seats fill up ay South Station.

Even before the construction, the South Station waiting area wasn't much to write home about, but I don't think the construction has messed up the existing waiting area too much. Definitely use the Metropolitan Lounge if you can get in. I add to the voices of those who don't recommend Back Bay as a place to wait. In addition to the hard benches, they don't make announcements of Amtrak trains, so you really have to be on your toes and pay attention if you don't want to miss your train. Also, as others have said, a lot of the good seats fill up ay South Station.
I am not inclined to board at Back Bay but as far as taking an Acela, boarding at Back Bay should not be a problem as far as seat selection. When you make an Acela reservation your seat is assigned and you can change it if you wish as we did on our trip last year and as we have done this year. In my opinion, it is one of the few positive improvements that Amtrak has made for the eastern trains.

Back