Something wrong with Status Maps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Penn

OBS Chief
Trains can now time travel. According to this, at least.

Excerpt of Status Maps file

* Train 311 of 11/28/2011.* Missouri River Runner*

*stn.......sch time..act time.....lateness

* IDP.......220P..*.....220P..Departed: on time.

* KCY......255P..*.....218P..Arrived: 37 minutes early.

Clearly, there is something wrong here. According to Amtrak, this train arrived at 2:45, not 2:18. So, is it just a bug? Or something else?

That sounds like a bug to report to the programmer. The only times I saw that kind of time travel were when Amtrak ran a protect consist for part of a trip (such as the corridor for a delayed train from Virginia) and reported the times of the protect on its site (rather than "Service Disruption").

Clearly, there is something wrong here. According to Amtrak, this train arrived at 2:45, not 2:18. So, is it just a bug? Or something else?
I'm betting it was a typo in the initial Amtrak status report. The Status Map site picks up the initial report from Amtrak. If Amtrak later corrects the mistake, the status maps site does not pick that up.

I'm betting it was a typo in the initial Amtrak status report. The Status Map site picks up the initial report from Amtrak. If Amtrak later corrects the mistake, the status maps site does not pick that up.
I generally use http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/ to check the status of my train about a month before my trip for all arrivals into the destination station I am going to. Often times there is a varience between that and what www.amtrak.com shows. In that case I go with www.amtrak.com as that is the offical. The other has a volunteer research and plug in the information.

I assumed that station times were created by crossing geo-fence coordinates. Are they actually entered by hand?

Good bet. I blanked out the KCY time for 311-28. The system went back and filled in the time using Amtrak's current arrival time.

I strive to make things as accurate as possible. If times change after my system initially gets them, the only way I'll know is if y'all tell me.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

Amtrak Status Maps (http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back