Some questions about the Cardinal (Huntington to Washington)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been studying the metro site for several days and the fare options were all very confusing. I guess I will take your advice and get SmartTrip cards, as you suggested. We are not old enough to get the senior discount yet, so we will have to pay full price. I don't know about riding cabs all over Washington. It sounds rather expensive. I don't think we will have long trips anyway. The metro should be sufficient for most of our trips.
We want to go to Mount Vernon one day. Can someone give me advice on the best way to get there?

I did go ahead and buy our train tickets today, so we are all set. Now we just have to wait 3 months. :)
I would take a look at the places you think you want to visit and figure out how much you are really going to be travelling on the metro. If you are going to be taking more than 2 trips a day on average (likely in and out of the city plus any side trips) then it may make sense to get the pass as it will be cheaper and likely easier for you in the long run. It also makes it easier for you to hop on and off somewhere on a whim if it interests you without worrying about the cost. While it looks like the majority of the areas you would likely visit are less than $3.50 from Crystal City at rush hour, you will want to bring some small bills or change to cover any fare over $3.50 as most, if not all, of the exit fare machines do not take credit cards. I thought I read they were working on that, but I've not paid close attention since I just use SmartTrip paid for by work. When you do the estimates of your trip planning note that the pass does not have the paper fare card surcharge according to http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/passes.cfm, but I don't have first hand confirmation as we did it before the surcharge went into effect.

General Metro tips:
1.To buy a metro fare card or pass there are machines at every station and are usually right by the turnstiles to get to the trains. To get a smarttrip, there are special vending machines at some stations. I don't know about Crystal City and I don't remember seeing any at King Street, but I never really looked. Worst case, there is a shop across the street from King Street where you can buy one. There is also a transit shop in the Crystal City underground mall. You can also purchase the smarttrip cards and passes/farecards ahead of time from metro and they mail it to you.
2a. If you use the fare cards, you put them into the farecard slot and it will then pop up on the top of the machine and the gates will retract. Same thing happens when you leave. One thing to be aware of is that if you happen to go through the handicapped gate (it is wider than the rest) the fare card comes right back out the slot and not the top. I've seen tourists get confused by that.
2b. If you use smarttrip, you just hold the card over the white circle with a picture of the card until the gate opens. Same thing when you leave.
3. If you have a smart phone, I find DCRider (iphone) is useful as it shows you a map, has a trip planner, and will show you the arrival board for any station in the system so you can see when the next trains are coming. Though I doubt you will go to one, there is no information on arrival/departure for stations at the end of the line.
4. Train lines are identified by color, but individual trains are labelled by the final stop for that particular train. This can be confusing as not all trains end at the same station even on the same line (The northbound yellow line for example can end at Greenbelt, Fort Totten or Mt. Vernon Square). You will want to know what the end of the line station is for the route you are taking. For example, to get to the Smithsonian stop from Crystal City, you would likely want to take the Blue line to Largo town Center. I would strongly suggest you take a little time to glance at the metro map when you decide where you want to go for the day just to keep that in mind. If you have the smart phone or a computer I would do the trip planner just to see what trains are in the direction you want at that time. In every station there are pillars that show which track goes in which direction and the various stops for that direction at the track level so you will have that as guidance as well.
5. It has been mentioned, but bears repeating. Stand on the right on escalators and in general if you need a moment to figure things out just move off to the side or against a center island. You will get a lot of muttering, dirty looks, or potentially bumped if not. In general people on the metro are fine, but something about blocking access really grates.
6. The doors on the train are not elevator doors. DO NOT try to enter once the doors start to close. Just last night I saw someone jam their stuff in the door and almost lose it. You can potentially break the door and then they will offload the train full of people now mad at you. They play a chime and a recording telling you the doors are closeing before they close. If you aren't sure you and your party can all get on at that time, just wait for the next train. During the day it is usually not more than 10 minutes for a wait, even less if you are in the city proper. You might want to have a plan on what you will do if you get split on a train, e.g. meet at the next stop. It sounds silly, but I have seen tourist couples split up after trying to jam the doors. Even if you both have cell phones, they don't work well in the tunnels except for Verizon. You also shouldn't lean on the doors, but this is less of an issue.
7. There is no eating or drinking on the Metro including the stations. You will likely see people breaking this rule, but it would also be unfortunate for you to get a ticket on your trip. You can carry food on you though (snacks or water bottles in your bag for example).

General DC tourist tips:
You will probably want to travel light if you can. Pretty much every museum or place other than a outdoor monument is going to have metal detectors and security. They only search bags, so if you don't carry a purse or backpack you can normally walk right in and save yourself some time.
I'm sure you have some idea of where you would like to go in DC already, so the only places I mention are ones that are less obvious or common.
1. The Old Post Office pavilion (Federal Triangle) where you can get a great view of the city from the tower. It's free and much less crowded than most places.
2. The National Portrait Gallery (Gallery Place/Chinatown) is a quiet museum that used to be the Patent Office. The courtyard is very nice place to sit for a bit and relax and there is some history to the place aside from the paintings.
3. The National Building Museum is only 2 blocks east of the NPG and is very pretty on the inside. Some of the exhibits are pretty good, but I just like the atrium a lot.
4. The National Museum of the American Indian has a pretty good cafe that is better than most of the other nearby options. The American History musuem also has a number of options, but it wasn't finished when I was there just after the opening so I don't know how good it is. Most of the rest of the food options along the Mall are fast food or cafeteria style.
5. The underground walkway Between the National Gallery of Art and the East wing is a neat light array art piece.
6. You can buy tickets for the Washington Monument ahead of time. It was a dollar, might be different now, but you don't have to get up super early to wait for the free tickets. They don't let you walk down anymore and the one time I went they skipped most of the stones inside if that is important to you.
7. Udvar-Hazy is neat if you like planes or space, but it is a long trek out from the core of the city (2 hours by bus/transit; 45 minutes by car). You likely would not want to combine it with something else during the day in the city.

As for getting to Mount Vernon, there is a bus listed, but it looks like quite a haul from Crystal City (11Y bus, upwards of an hour and you'll have to walk or transfer to get to it), so I would probably just get a cab if it were me as the drive itself shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes. This leads to the next item, I don't have any first hand experiences with DC cabs as I live in VA, but I do not hear good things about them in general. I hear Red Top cab in Arlington is generally well liked, and VA cabs in general seem to have a better reputation at least among the local blogs I read.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

We want to go to Mount Vernon one day. Can someone give me advice on the best way to get there?
To get to Mount Vernon, take MetroBus 9A (http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/9a.pdf) right outside the Hampton Inn on 20th Street by the broken light pole :) or the Yellow Line to Huntington, then transfer to the 101 Fairfax Connector Bus (north side bus bays): http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/pdf/101.pdf. Plan on spending around 4 hours at Mount Vernon.

Fairfax Connector accepts SmartTrip for payment (as do all the local/regional buses in the area).

Metro, a few thoughts: We were just there the first week of January with daughter, SIL, and a couple of the grandchildren,

You can buy the Metro short trip pass at King Street (we did) You can do it with a credit card. $35.00 each. You can get no more than two with any given credit card insertion, and no more than two insertions of the same credit card. I assume these restrictions are to reduce illegal card charges. These cards worked like a charm for us. Be careful to not bend them. DO NOT put them next to a cell phone. (did not try it with the WMATA cards, but have had the problem with the paper cards on BART.) Get them next to a cell phone and it will wipe them out. Likewise, if you get one of these plastic credit card size motel room keys, do not get them near a cell phone. Same problem. You will not be able to get back into your room.) The major advantage of getting these pass cards is that you do not have to be concerned about how many times you get on and off the system. This is particularly useful in going between sights in DC.

Don't put the Washington Monument on your list of places to visit. You can walk around it at a distance and see it from many locations, but you cannot go up the Washington Monument currently. It is closed for repairs of the earthquake damage. You cannot even get close to it. There is a fence all the way around it.

If you want to see some other interesting stuff on George Washington, go to the George Washington Masonic Memorial in Alexandria. It will be staring you in the face when you walk out the front of the Alexandria railroad station. Cost to go in $5.00 per head.

Mt Vernon by bus: ride the Metro to King St., Alexandria. There is a free shuttle between King Stree and Old Town Alexandria that runs every 15 minutes (or is it every 10, I don't remember right now). Thsi should put you within 1/2 block or less of the bus stop to get you to Mt. Vernon. You can get the schedules and routes of these buses off their web site.

If you go to Gallery Place, I would say walk out the north end of the station to go into DC's Chinatown. We went north on 7th to H, turned right under the Chinese style arch with the idea of finding a place to eat. About half way down the block was a two story restaurant with a Mongolian Barbeque on the first floor and a more standard variety Chinese restaurant on the second. If you are at interested in this type stuff, try the Mongolian BBQ. The style is that you pick what you want put it into a bowl and they cook it in front of you on a big round flat cooking surface. We happen to like that sort of stuff. For the sake of this message, I looked up the place's name and address. It is Tony Cheng's Seafood and Mongolian Barbeque, 621 H st. NW. Be sure you go for the first floor, as that is the BBQ level. It is an all you can eat type, so you can go back for a second bowl if you want to. Forks are available for the chopstick disinclined. Don't recall the price exactly, but five of us walked out for somewhere under but not much under $100.00.

While Amtrak has not implemented WiFi on their long-distance trains -- except the Coast Starlight, and whose router is often down -- you may find free WiFi signals at some of the longer station stops for quick use. Most of my trips are on the CZ and I have found usable signals at station stops in Davis, Roseville, and Elko. There are probably others on that route, as well as on other routes.

Thanx Guest_ALX_* and George Harris for detailed info. Expect info useful info for OP. Surely useful to me - planning visit to the Chesapeake in a month or two.

My recent experience with Metro last August was the easy-peasy ride from DCA to WUS or is it WAS - the Metro was significantly rougher and dirtier than it was 20 years ago - the last time I visited DC.

Metro works -- but watch notices for the track work - no bustitution .

Metro works -- but compared to NY or Tokyo - obviously - it is about 3rd rate - so check their web site for outages and detours.

As for Dulles - IAD - I won't go there (except to change planes) until the Silver Line is working. (partly that's because of my father-in-law's 25-year-ago cab ride to IAD - where the cab driver showed a handgun and demanded at first $50 , and the $100 tip. (Long ago don't worry it)) . More than that, much more relevant - long slow expensive unreliable connections from IAD to almost anywhere.

Metro is ok - keep asking questions - lots of good answers here for specific destinations.

Hope your trip will be good -- expect so -- take care and "noli perspirare" as my Air Force aunt always used to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, just logged on and saw all the posts with great advice. Thank you everyone. This is definitely a big help.

We are still in the planning stages of what we want to see. All the monuments, of course...my husband is a Vietnam Vet and he has never seen the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. As for the Washington Monument, I am content to just look at it. I have a major fear of heights, and if it was open, I'm sure my husband would want us to go up in it.We want to visit the museums at the Smithsonian. I have also written my Congressman about a tour of the White House, but I haven't heard back from him. We want to spend some time at Arlington Cemetery. I have an uncle who is buried there, and I want to be sure to find his grave. I have an Arlington Cemetery App which will help. I just installed the DC Rider app on my phone, and I got another one called Explore DC which looks interesting.

Thanks again.

Other suggestions:

Consider having at least one meal in the diner.

Remember you can take a cooler and food on the train. No alcohol can be consumed except by sleeper passengers in their room unless you buy it from Amtrak.

After buying your tickets, regularly check Amtrak's web site and/or amsnag.net to see if prices have gone down. If they have, you can call Amtrak and get a refund of the difference. Sometimes Amtrak offers a special sale or prices go down because sales are slow. Try that on your local airline!

A few random thoughts:

I have a couple of years on you. Pres. Kennedy: I still have a picture in my mind of the day in college chemisty lab when the instructor came back after being called out and said, The president has been shot!"

When I came back from Nam which was the first year of Amtrak, I crossed the country by train and part of that was riding through the New River Gorge in the dome car .Awesome. At that time the equipment and power were still painted C&O.

White House tour: If you get to go one one, there is an extensive list of things you cannot carry. Purses, backpacks, camera, just to start the list. There is no place to store anything anywhere near the place, either. Since you will be going by train, you will obviously not have a car at hand, so leaving stuff stashed in the car is not an option. Plan the day you have the white house tour accordingly.

Capitol Tour: Your congressman can also arrange that for you. Our son-in-law did the arranging for us. I think he did his by emails, but I don't know. He is a great organizer. How good can depend a lot on your congressman. Theirs is the Florida Panhandle area.

Arlington Cemetary: A lot of walking. We did it on a day we had a car rented. Since my wife has walking difficulty so we have a handicap hang tag, and we did have a rent car the first couple of days, we were allowed to drive into the cemetary. That enabled us to get very close to the various locations in the cemetary which saved us both a lot of walking and a lot of time. Otherwise, the Metro station is relatively handy. To go to the Lincoln Memorial you can use the same Metro station and walk across the Patomac on the Arlington Memorial Bridge and you are at the Lincoln Mem.

Smithisonian: Don't know how long you plan to be in Washington, but if you want to do much else and still give the Smithisonian anywhere close to the time it deserves, a week for the total trip time is not enough.

If you interested, a trip to the Washington Cathedral is a thing to do. They have a pipe organ which is simply awesome. We happened to be there for a demonstration of the organ. Do not know the schedule, but were just there at the right time. It is not handy to Metro. That was also something done when we had our own wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back