SLO / LAX choices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakPDX

Train Attendant
The situation: PDX to somewhere in Texas

Option A: PDX - LAX via CS. Stay overnight in nearby hotel. Leave the next day for points east from LAX.

Concerns: Late arrival in LAX. Limited sightseeing.

Option B: PDX - SLO via CS. Stay overnight in SLO. Take EARLY Pacific Surfliner to LAX and catch train to Texas.

Is opt B more 'touristy'? Are there better opportunities in SLO? Would there be a marked cost diff with the PDX-SLO-LAX switch.

TIA for your thoughts (other than 'Why would I want to go to Texas'?)

Option A: PDX - LAX via CS. Stay overnight in nearby hotel. Leave the next day for points east from LAX.

Option B: PDX - SLO via CS. Stay overnight in SLO. Take EARLY Pacific Surfliner to LAX and catch train to Texas.

Is opt B more 'touristy'? Are there better opportunities in SLO? Would there be a marked cost diff with the PDX-SLO-LAX switch.

I resemble that remark! :lol: How about option 3, which I havent done but it's recommended by the_traveler which means it's got a pro seal of approval!

Ride the CS from PDX to EMY or OKJ, get off, have dinner, look around a little, catch the overnight thru-way bus to Santa Barbara, then ride the train Business Class (It's a "special" 1,500 point route)to LAX, have lunch @ Phillipes, catrch the Sunset that afternoon, no hotel, not a bad third option IMO! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
San Luis Obispo is a small town while LA, well you know, is incredible large. I recommend to stop at San Luis Obispo because it's pedestrian friendly and good place to tour downtown area filled with restaurants, one of California missions from 1600s period, and stores. It may be a touristy or not. If you go there on Thursday, go to downtown for Farmers Market. It's a very popular place to see the farmers selling freshest vegetables and fruits, others selling crafts and even some interesting booths. There is a hostel few blocks away and it's very clean. I stayed there for two nights. Other good reason is you'll definitely get a good chance to see the ocean in daytime while boarding on Pacific Surfliner. Occasionally, there are taxis in front of station. You'll need to have phone number ready to make sure it's there.

The late arrival isn't really all that bad - we got in at 8:40 last night, which our attendant told us was about average. We cabbed it over to the Westin (we pricelined it for about $80 on advice from someone here) and were settled into the hotel room by about 9:15 or so.

Depending on the time of year you're talking about, the sightseeing was fine, the sun didn't set until after Oxnard, so only the last little bit was in darkness.

Don't know anything about SLO other than it looked nice when we stopped there, but your option A isn't all that bad.

I think the on the Starlight will be more comforable - I would do that.

San Antonio is quite beautiful right now :) - lots of flowers everywhere amidst lush greeness; perfect day temperatures in the 70's and it was 52 last night. This won't last much longer and later it will be 'surface of the sun.' SA has a lot of charm (I went to the nighttime 'Flambeau' Fiesta Parade Saturday night and it was a gas) and it's a real vacation destination.

...the sun didn't set until after Oxnard, so only the last little bit was in darkness.
And scenically speaking, the straight shot drag through the San Fernando Valley is nothing to write home about. I would go with Option A for the scenery viewing advantages of the Sightseer Lounge (Coach) and Pacific Parlour Car (sleeper), especially along the coast north of Santa Barbara.

I'd do the SLO stop. You get in about 3. Many comfy motels, all less than $80, within short cab ride to Monterey Street area. (There's also bus number 5 from the Amtrak station up to Monterey Street if your baggage is light.) Downtown within walking distance; the beautiful mission, historic district, Thurs. evening Farmer's Market, nice restaurants. It's a beautiful little town. A short bus ride can also take you up to Cal Poly SLO campus, a beautiful hillside location with views down to the city.

The early-morning Pac Surfliner is hi-level consist, easy to get ocean-side seating, and is as comfortable as CS for the duration of the SLO-LA trip. When you get into LA, still time to lunch at Philippe's down the street from Union Station.

As for the idea of stopping in Emeryville and taking an overnight Amtrak bus to Santa Barbara, well, if you plan on catching up on your sleep on the Sunset and missing the views, then it's a possibility. It might not be as easy to repair your back pain after a night on the bus, IMHO!

How about stopping in Santa Barbara? Is there more you'd like to do there than SLO?

I guess I'd look up things to do in SLO, Santa Barbara and LA dn use those results to make my decision.

Dan

How about stopping in Santa Barbara? Is there more you'd like to do there than SLO?I guess I'd look up things to do in SLO, Santa Barbara and LA dn use those results to make my decision.

Dan
If I understand the OP's intention and concern, a Santa Barbara stop would leave no time for effective sightseeing. The CS usually arrives a little late, between 6:30 and 7, and the Pacific Surfliner would leave the next morning about 9. Also, Santa Barbara hotels within a decent walk or cab ride of the depot are quite pricey, $125 and up.

The OP would be better off from a sightseeing vantage to stop either in SLO or go all the away to LA, where a quick trip to a hotel and early-day start would allow for some sightseeing in LA before the 2 p.m. Sunset departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back