Sleeping Car Attendants & Opposite Gender Passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone describe my odds of getting the same person twice. Tell me what to do when something happens that is clearly out of the ordinary. What is the conductor's mindset when a passenger makes an accusation against an attendant in route? Am I going to find myself in the middle of a buffalo pasture in Montana or sitting in the baggage car? Where does the conductor hang out if I need to talk to him/her? I think I saw the locomotive grapevine in action. It's when you show up and there's one man. He saunters off somewhere and comes back with someone else. Then you get followed down the track as they apologize for some imaginary infraction.
If you were to ride the same train, then the odds go up that you could perhaps see the same person again. I've covered over 70,000 miles on Amtrak and with two exceptions, I have only met the same workers more than once, while riding Acela. And that's because I typically ride Acela at least a dozen times a year or more. The first exception was a dining car steward who worked the Silver service. I bumped into him on two different occasions. The second was a waitress on the Lake Shore Limited, whom I've seen twice while riding that train.

I don't however recall ever seeing someone from one long distance train on another different long distance route. That's not to say that it can't happen, those low in seniority do rotate from one job to the next. But once a worker has a bit of seniority, they tend to stick with the same train, rather than working the extra board.

Please don't say "we can't help you because we don't know the details". I asked questions clearly in my first post and believe a straight forward answer would assist others as well to know what to expect as normal performance. It can't be so subjective that there is no job description associated with it.
And I quite clearly answered most of those questions for you back on the first page.

There is indeed a job description for sleeping car attendants, and those duties include but are not limited to, ensuring the safety of all passengers at all times; assisting passengers detraining and boarding; assisting the conductor as requested; ensuring that all beds are made up at night as requested and returning the room to it's daytime configuration in the morning; stripping all the beds and putting on new linens prior to arrival at the train's terminous; providing coffee, juice, water to the passengers; providing wake up calls; ensuring that passenger detrain at their stops; cleaning the bathrooms as well as possible; cleaning the car as needed and within the limitations imposed by not having a vaccum cleaner; adjusting the temperature within the car; bringing meals to passengers when requested; assiting with luggage when asked; removing garbage from the rooms and the car; providing ice when possible and upon request; ensuring that soap and towels are available for the shower; and probably another dozen things that I've forgotten.

But again, I can't speak to what sensativity training or cautions/rules they may have received regarding members of the opposite sex. I'm pretty sure that they do get some training in that area, just have no idea what that might be.

I have been in the position in my professional life of sitting on an ethics committee that had the power of reducing the income of very high profile people down to nothing, knowing it would profoundly affect their future ability to make a living, their reputations and families. In that situation we read what was in the public realm. Sometimes an ethics committee has the ability to initiate an investigation on their own and I have no doubt that some are on here reading these threads looking for clues.
If you are trying to impress us with this stuff, you failed miserably, with me at least. You probably have no idea how repulsive and repugnant (redundancy intentional) this arrogant "I have the power to ruin somebody if I choose" ploy is to those that really have to produce something useful in the process of making a living.

I was somewhat sypathetic with whatever happened up to now, but no longer. I am now suspecting a major I will be offended by whatever you do chip on your shoulder.

I have been in the position in my professional life of sitting on an ethics committee that had the power of reducing the income of very high profile people down to nothing, knowing it would profoundly affect their future ability to make a living, their reputations and families. In that situation we read what was in the public realm. Sometimes an ethics committee has the ability to initiate an investigation on their own and I have no doubt that some are on here reading these threads looking for clues.
If you are trying to impress us with this stuff, you failed miserably, with me at least. You probably have no idea how repulsive and repugnant (redundancy intentional) this arrogant "I have the power to ruin somebody if I choose" ploy is to those that really have to produce something useful in the process of making a living.

I was somewhat sypathetic with whatever happened up to now, but no longer. I am now suspecting a major I will be offended by whatever you do chip on your shoulder.
Amen...what a useless waste of time dealing with someone who is trying to impress the world with her illusions of grandeur and power. My only wish is that she sees the hopelessness in not wanting the car attendant to even know what kind of deodorant she uses BUT will sit next to what she describes as a bag lady on a bus and enjoy the ride better than Amtrak. There's an easy solution here and I'm going to practice it; good bye and good luck in whatever it is you are trying to accomplish. You sure have worn out the site with over 2,000 hits if you have accomplished nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "greyhound is not for you" remark was rotten. I gave up 1st class in a poor country overseas in order to ride 2nd class so that I could be around people. I HAVE ridden Greyhound and will ride whatever takes me to my destination best, including paddling a canoe 26 miles through dead water. On Greyhound I sat next to a hefty bag carrying about 5 pillowcases of goods in her lap and another 4 or so at her feet. She had a don't-mess-with-me look on her face and the neck of a bulldog and I did my best "eyes straight ahead, shoulders scrunched up" sit for 5 hours. She was a great guard. Unless I could have levitated and communicated telepathically, a bathroom break and conversation were not options.

Jody
"The Greyhound is not for you"

"On Greyhound I sat next to a hefty bag carrying about 5 pillowcases of goods in her lap and another 4 or so at her feet. She had a don't-mess-with-me look on her face and the neck of a bulldog and I did my best "eyes straight ahead, shoulders scrunched up" sit for 5 hours."

Which one of the above quotes sounds more rotten to you?

As for your odds of getting the same attendant twice.. as Alan said if you are riding a different train.. the odds are low, but if you are riding the same train.. that's a different story. I ride the Crescent around 6 times a year (roughly) and have run into the same dining car steward 3 times, the same chef twice, the same waitress 4 times, and the same attendant 2 times. This is in the last 2 years. Those are my odds.. yours of course may vary.

Your questions about where you can find the conductor, he is usually in the lounge or diner unless his duties call him elsewhere on the train. Ocassionaly conductors will also use unused sleeping car rooms as an office space, but they are required to keep the door/curtains open, so you may find them in your very own car. (This would be only during the daytime however, as usually all rooms are sold out for the overnight portion of the trip).

It should also be said that there are many female car attendants as well... i'm hoping that you get a female car attendant next, unless she is a lesbian.. then it will be the same problem again! :)

Why would any current or former Amtrak employee not want those who are giving them a bad name ferreted out? THEY, through their behavior threaten your income and the survival of Amtrak.

Why would any current or former Amtrak employee not want those who are giving them a bad name ferreted out? THEY, through their behavior threaten your income and the survival of Amtrak.
Most of the people who post here do not work for Amtrak, and therefore will not have their income threatened by anything to do with this topic. I know of two former employees that post here, and one current employee who occasionally posts here. But again, the bulk of the posters here are just people who like riding Amtrak, or people who are curious about Amtrak.

This board is also not run by Amtrak, or sponsored by Amtrak in any fashion. Anthony Rizos is the sole owner of this board and pays all of the bills for it out of his own pocket, simply because he wants to provide a place for people to come and discuss Amtrak and learn about Amtrak.

That said, I do think it important for bad employees to be ferreted out. But we can't do that, nor do we have the power to influence such an outcome. If you won't complain directly to Amtrak, then nothing will happen until the next time the employee you encountered does something to another person.

On the other hand if you’re posting here simply to acquire insider info to help in a lawsuit against Amtrak, you won't be getting that kind of info. Even if an employee or former employee were so inclined to post such info, the moderating team would immediately delete such info. Not in an effort to deny you the info for any potential suit, but simply because Amtrak would force us to take it down if they found it.

He was let off in Yuma in handcuffs. Now, what's the rest of your story ???

Thank you for these last few replies and sharing some insight and detail. Clearly SOMETHING did happen.

I have been in the position in my professional life of sitting on an ethics committee that had the power of reducing the income of very high profile people down to nothing, knowing it would profoundly affect their future ability to make a living, their reputations and families. In that situation we read what was in the public realm. Sometimes an ethics committee has the ability to initiate an investigation on their own and I have no doubt that some are on here reading these threads looking for clues. To get specific could cause a chain of events to occur that could not be stopped. The burden of proof also becomes an issue. I have never lost on a witness stand, but prefer to stay off them. This is why my name is made up (but reflective of the other person-for those who like mysteries), my time is made up and cities have been chosen that are off the target. I will soon be riding again and don't know what the odds are of getting the same employee. Can someone describe my odds of getting the same person twice. Tell me what to do when something happens that is clearly out of the ordinary. What is the conductor's mindset when a passenger makes an accusation against an attendant in route? Am I going to find myself in the middle of a buffalo pasture in Montana or sitting in the baggage car? Where does the conductor hang out if I need to talk to him/her? You know that denial on the employee's part will occur. If a passenger so stands out (and believe me, I'm astounded at the attention- and you would be, too, in person), that they are recognized in person, the events being described online would certainly narrow it down even more. I pick battles carefully and this isn't one I want to fight. Note that I could lose too. Pounding someone may not always be in one's own best interests. I want you to give me guidelines and let me make my own decision.

The "greyhound is not for you" remark was rotten. I gave up 1st class in a poor country overseas in order to ride 2nd class so that I could be around people. I HAVE ridden Greyhound and will ride whatever takes me to my destination best, including paddling a canoe 26 miles through dead water. On Greyhound I sat next to a hefty bag carrying about 5 pillowcases of goods in her lap and another 4 or so at her feet. She had a don't-mess-with-me look on her face and the neck of a bulldog and I did my best "eyes straight ahead, shoulders scrunched up" sit for 5 hours. She was a great guard. Unless I could have levitated and communicated telepathically, a bathroom break and conversation were not options.

I think I saw the locomotive grapevine in action. It's when you show up and there's one man. He saunters off somewhere and comes back with someone else. Then you get followed down the track as they apologize for some imaginary infraction.

Please don't say "we can't help you because we don't know the details". I asked questions clearly in my first post and believe a straight forward answer would assist others as well to know what to expect as normal performance. It can't be so subjective that there is no job description associated with it.

And on my New Orleans crusade. Go there. Reinvigorate the economy there. Courage is not the absence of fear, but action in spite of fear. Tip heavily on trains going there. Tip those tour guides and ask if they are Amtrak employees and tip again. Betty, in lieu of a cruise, head towards New Orleans. You who are gathering, GO to New Orleans. Google Catholic Charities. They will even house you and assign you a chore. Tell them you want to help an Amtrak employee. I will be eating my own cooking on this subject.

I will be on the trains around the country this year. Be kind.

Let the attacks begin.

Jody

Quite obviously you've had a traumatic experience before. If you are that afraid of running into the same employees, or that afraid of possibly having a similar experience, then perhaps riding Amtrak is not your smartest decision. You would be better off flying or driving, then to worry yourself into a panic over something that has a high probably of NOT occuring again. Isn't your mental health important to you at all? If I was facing a situation where I was as scared as you appear to be, then I would do everything in my power to avoid the situation. I certainly wouldn't be on here trying to stir up trouble by trying to find someone that agrees with everything that you have said. That is unlikely to happen!

I pick battles carefully and this isn't one I want to fight. Note that I could lose too. Pounding someone may not always be in one's own best interests. I want you to give me guidelines and let me make my own decision.
I think I saw the locomotive grapevine in action. It's when you show up and there's one man. He saunters off somewhere and comes back with someone else. Then you get followed down the track as they apologize for some imaginary infraction.

Let the attacks begin.

Jody
Aight Jody, I have stayed out of this since my first comments in this thread. Now I have some answers to offer you as well as some additional questions. I will also give you some of my thoughts on this matter as well.

I pick battles carefully and this isn't one I want to fight. Note that I could lose too. Pounding someone may not always be in one's own best interests. I want you to give me guidelines and let me make my own decision.
First off, what exactly is your agenda here? I can't see as to why YOU are "picking" any battles in the first place. This is what you seem to imply with the above statement, though maybe not with this certain issue!

This statement is true for sure, however, I will add this is the case everywhere in this world at one time since the dawn of time! Any place that is public or private property for public use is fair game to all human behavior. Inappropriate behavior can and will continue to occur in these types of places. There is no changing that. If an individual is accused, tried, and convicted (or accused, investigated, put off property and/or fired) of such behavior then that is one individual less to be concerned about. Now apply this to the big picture and I ask "what about the rest of the general public?" I remind you to look at the big picture with this statement and not just concentrate on Amtrak! This issue also works both ways with men as it does with women! Anybody, who doesn't believe that IMO is foolish!

We all gave you direct answers to the questions you first asked! However, in your later postings some of the questions you ask as well as some of the info you have provided reveal to me that you have demonstrated your evasive tactics as you appear to be keeping your agenda under wraps! In my first posting, I responded directly to your question surrounding "the public access/use of our rule book and other training materials!" That is strictly company information NOT subject to the FOIA for our use as employees with the instructions from the company on how we operate as a whole! It is NOT available (and damn sure should not be) for obvious reasons since at least 9/11/01! You are correct! There is a job description for everything at any railroad period! But as you may already be aware, Amtrak already provides you the info you need to handle any situation you feel needs attention! Traversing any further than that implies suspicion in the company's eyes!

These two statements below kinda rub me the wrong way!

What is the point of this statement? That is what you should be expecting from Amtrak, fellow passengers, and any other folks you should come in contact with! I no longer work with Amtrak, but that is what you would get from me! My job there was strictly business as with my current job with a freight railroad! It seems to me you may be searching out that battle to "pick!" That is just my two cents here, nothing personal!

Let the attacks begin.
Why? Are you really afraid of this? I would suggest driving your car, and staying off all kinds public transporation! That would at least eliminate this perception of how people are in that industry! You still have the general public, and everyone else you conduct business to contend with!

Jody, In closing if there has been a situation YOU feel warrants attention, then please take the advice of myself as well as the other posters! Just simply go through the proper channels that Amtrak provides you to handle your situation! Maybe you have done that already, and haven't felt satisfied with the results you recieved from them. Might that be the case? I personally don't know what else to tell you! I will offer you any good infomation here on the boards if the situation warrants it, but I WILL NOT put my former employer on the line! Anyway, good luck with your future travels. Let us know how things are going! All of us regulars here on the boards want to see Amtrak (the rail industry as a whole) succeed. As AlanB has alread pointed out, this board is not affiliated with Amtrak at all! So your best course of action pertaining to any issue should be forwarded directly to them! Take care............. OBS gone freight......

Wow, I hadn't peeped in on this thread after reading it the first time a week ago as it honestly didn't seem that interesting to me. It was only after it balooned to 4 pages that my curiosity made me wonder "Why on earth is this thread getting so chatty?!"

Nothing in the details revealed seem to me to indicate any grave wrongdoing - all that is mentioned is that the OP felt she was getting more attention than the other patrons in her car, which she feels comes as a result of her gender/looks, and as a result of her riding alone.

She hints at an overall need to "sterilize" the service if you will, which I tend to feel is an overreaction. To me, the best employees are always those that treat their riders as individuals, and as such may tailor their interactions around them to be more customized. On the trip my friend and I took from Denver to Baltimore this spring, we had two Attendants, one on the CZ and one on the CL.

Both performed their jobs quite quite well, but were very different in their approach. The Capitol's Attendant was very soft spoken, polite, yet distant. The Zephyr's Attendant was borderline brash and sort of trash-talking to a degree, but amiable by all means. He made a handful of wisecracks to my attractive female companion, but both of us found the attention entertaining and not uncomfortable.

Whenever we refer back to this trip, we always talk pleasantly and laugh about our ride on the Zephyr with this Attendant. We never seem to mention the Capitol's Attendant - not any slight with him - just the ride on the Zephyr was far more memorable - in a good way.

I would think that if you strip the human emotions out of Amtrak Employees, and essentially "domesticate" them into turning their hormones or even their personalities completely off, what you wind up with is a very forced, sterile, and thus forgettable environment.

I, too, have refrained from saying anything in this thread. I agree that we are being hoodwinked, and it is my sincere belief that we are being hoodwinked by someone who is emotionally disturbed. The less said, the better.

I have ridden a great deal of trains over the years.. I think the kind of attendants we get today are not quite the same as in old.. But then the world isn't the same either.. Ever turn on the TV... Many don't have the knack for personal service that was so prevelent in days gone by.. the attendants on the last Empire Builder trip were either nearly absent, or overly helpful.. I don't think either had a motive beyond getting there job done.. Someone who thinks everyone is out to get them is not dealing with a complete deck.. Paranoid might be the term in mind..

Most of the people who post here do not work for Amtrak, and therefore will not have their income threatened by anything to do with this topic. I know of two former employees that post here, and one current employee who occasionally posts here. But again, the bulk of the posters here are just people who like riding Amtrak, or people who are curious about Amtrak.
. Anthony Rizos is the sole owner of this board and pays all of the bills for it out of his own pocket, simply because he wants to provide a place for people to come and discuss Amtrak and learn about Amtrak.

On the other hand if you’re posting here simply to acquire insider info to help in a lawsuit against Amtrak, you won't be getting that kind of info. Even if an employee or former employee were so inclined to post such info, the moderating team would immediately delete such info. Not in an effort to deny you the info for any potential suit, but simply because Amtrak would force us to take it down if they found it.

PLEASE go away and bother somebody else...I think you've had your "fun" in your own psycho way. If you don't understand the above you are certifiable and I will strongly suggest that the moderators shut down this useless tirade of incessant 20 questions that go no where and accomplish nothing more than make posters head for the Excedrin tablets. If you need legal help private post me and I will be glad to supply some firms~ this is NOT the forum to pursue legalities.

So if you don't report it to Customer Service:

Then the bad behaviour continues and continues and continues................................

And since numbers of crew personnel are women, I wonder if they've heard or experienced some of the things you talked about? If enough women reported some of the things you just mentioned and threatened either 1) Lawsuits or 2) We will take our money elsewhere, do you think someone might do or say something about it? I think the answer to that is yes!

Jody,

People here are trying to help you. Do not jerk them around.

This will be my first Amtrak trip and I am stressed enough without your theatrics. I'm going to be vulnerable (especially if I end up traveling alone) due to my surgery. They may say something (on account of where I am traveling) but you know what, unless it is something blatant, I do not care. I doubt I will ever run into them again. They may get a little laugh, or snicker but screw them.

Maybe you should have the same attitude.

April

P.S. I will be more than happy to disclose my details if you do the same.

P.P.S. In other words, put up or shut up.

I wouldn't be a bit worried about your trip anymore than any other daily interchange with others.. There may be a bad apple out there somewhere, but I have never observed any overt problems with the staff on the train.. I have seen a few more than forward passengers, but that is going to happen anywhere.. Let us know after your trip, but I would guess none of the problems as described will happen. If your looking for trouble you will probably find it, otherwise relax and enjoy the ride..

I too have stayed out of this thread. But i've been reading it with great interest. At first I thought it was going to make for insightful conversation. Now, not so much.

Jody, if you want to live your life in fear and decide not to ride Amtrak because of something that happened in the past, so be it. No skin off of Amtrak's back, I can assure you. All the people on here can do is try to give you some genuine advice, as most people on here have far more experience into riding Amtrak than you have.

That being said, I can honestly say that your posts have been rambling and at times very arrogant. I really don't care how many cases you've won or that you "decided" to take 2nd class instead of 1st class in a foreign country. Oh wow, you saved $30. Congratulations. Would you like an award?

Have a nice life, and feel free to come back when you have something genuine to talk about.

I feel that I must also make a comment.

Jody, if you are concerned about being a female, traveling alone, I understand. I am a single female traveler, and I have traveled a great deal on Amtrak. Several trips back and forth between St Louis and Kansas City, several trips between St Louis and Chicago, a couple of trips on long distance trains, and I have never had an issue. I also travel alone, in coach, or in a sleeper on the long distance trains. Earlier you mentioned several 'safety tips'; if you follow those you will be alright. If you are in a sleeper, simply lock the door if you are worried for your safety.

If you are SO worried about it, enough so that you can not enjoy the journey, then, by all means, Amtrak is not for you. If you are that worried, then travel on any mode of public transportation may not be for you. Life is too short to live in fear. Go on Amtrak, don't go on Amtrak, do whatever you decide is best for you. But, don't come on here looking for any sympathy, or for people to fully back up your ramblings; especially if you are not willing to help yourself out by reporting the supposedly inappropriate behavior of a member of the train crew. I'm not here to argue about whether or not something actually happened. But, if someone behaved 'inappropriately' towards me during travel on a certain mode of transportation, I wouldn't sit back and not talk to management about it. If it has made me so paranoid about future travel, then I would do everything I could do to avoid the situation again.

I've come to the conclusion that if you have a concern about a safety-related event occurring on Amtrak and don't know where the conductor hangs out that you should carry the number of your local police department (non-emergency or emergency #), tell them your home address, that you're traveling by train and have a question. If it can wait, talk to your local police on your return. Let them guide you. An alternative is to call Amtrak by phone and let them contact the train.

To the lady concerned about Amtrak travel. Do travel on Amtrak but do use your common sense as you would in any situation involving strangers.

Think of it like this:... where main street, the city and honkytonk America meet at the diner/saloon. Enjoy what each brings to the experience and add your own.

Traveling on,

Jody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back